ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: When your kids protest at Graduation...

Message 1 of 312
The reception is a wonderful idea, and I would guess much less expensive for the university to put on. I often wonder how much some of the graduation speakers are being paid when the educational institution is crying for more money. At the small community college where I worked as the maintenance director, my staff spent several days setting up the stage and transforming the gym to hold graduation ceremonies and days putting things back afterward. I never attended any of those ceremonies myself and when asked why, I would respond that I didn't go to my own graduation, why would I want to go to one for somebody else.

When my daughter received her doctorate from the University of Minnesota, there was a separate ceremony for graduate degrees. It was still too long and very boring, but the most enjoyable part of the day was the gathering at one of the local bars with her friends, academic advisor, and others that earned their advanced degrees in chemistry that day. It was even better than a formal reception in my mind, but I hate large gatherings.
Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 2 of 312

I always disliked all of my graduation ceremonies (high school, community college, undergrad). They were long, hot and boring. Long speeches about nothing, valedictorians giving empty advice to classmates, principals, presidents and dean praising students whose names they never knew...as soon as a student received their degree, the family would get up to leave.

I think the old "cap and gown" days need to go away. They could be replaced by a nice reception with a simple tea buffet, a chance to relax, introduce parents to teachers/professors, say goodbye to classmates, have the names of the graduates posted up for everyone to see, and have a table where the graduate can pick up their diploma/degree and show it to their family. If they want to wear a cap and gown and get a photo they could, or if they just wanted to wear nice clothes that could be an option.

As a graduate student, if I get through my program I am not sure about attending my own graduation (small university so it may not be as bad). I am going to have a reception.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 312

Good question, rker.  I don't know the answer.  I've attended three graduations this spring and the consensus with those I talked with, most were there for their son/daughter/grandson/grand daughter/friend, etc. and couldn't careless about hearing the speaker(s) or the pomp....the graduation ceremony at UND was over 4.5 hours.  Good lord!

Can you imagine those at the Coast Guard Academy who sat through trumps lame speech which included his "poor me" spiel?  I would have been proud of my son or daughter had they stood up and walked out.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 312

gjswitek wrote:

The ceremony is not the appropriate place to stage a demonstration, nor is it appropriate for the commencement speaker to bring politics into the address.  There are many graduates and their families that want the ceremony to be organized, punctual, dignified, and not go on past their graduate receiving the degree.  The place for demonstrations is outside of the ceremony itself.  My wife and I did not attend our own graduation ceremonies, not in protest, but because we were a considerable distance away from campus at the time. We did attend our daughter's undergrad, and I made to the ceremony where she received her doctorate.  Neither were pleasant experiences, too long, too warm, and many miles to drive after things were done.

You are correct in wanting to see a graduation ceremony in which the only subject is seeing your kids and mine graduate after all their efforts. that is normal.  and expected.
Yes, we don't want to see distractions or anything that will marr that ceremony, that is why, I also put the blame of the University for not being careful and inviting speakers that may bring controversy to that ceremony.

It seems to me that Universities now want celebrities at their comencement ceremonies. in order perhaps to say how important they are?

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 312

😂😂😂having attended MANY family graduations and I feel your pain. While I was proud of all my children and grandchildren, I really only wanted to see our one kid walk across the stage. The only really special graduation was when my daughter graduated from medical school. Since I was on the faculty, I got to hood her. I am sure the other parents were not impressed!😒.  I actually think at most of the graduations, I might have welcomed the distraction of a peaceful demonstration and I'm guessing the students are talking more about the demonstration than the message of the speaker!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on your daughter's success. 😊

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 6 of 312

The ceremony is not the appropriate place to stage a demonstration, nor is it appropriate for the commencement speaker to bring politics into the address.  There are many graduates and their families that want the ceremony to be organized, punctual, dignified, and not go on past their graduate receiving the degree.  The place for demonstrations is outside of the ceremony itself.  My wife and I did not attend our own graduation ceremonies, not in protest, but because we were a considerable distance away from campus at the time. We did attend our daughter's undergrad, and I made to the ceremony where she received her doctorate.  Neither were pleasant experiences, too long, too warm, and many miles to drive after things were done.

Conversationalist

Message 7 of 312

The ceremony was special to the demonstrating students, as well. I feel that is likely why they chose this particular venue to stage their peaceful protest. They worked hard (and likely paid a lot of money) to earn their degrees. They might have chosen to make their views heard and seen rather than walking across the stage to receive their well earned recognition. The opportunity to participate has faded, but people all over the country continue to talk about and weigh in on their actions. I welcome and cheer on those who have opinions on BOTH sides. 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 312

rker321 wrote:

If the Universities would stick to academics, instead of politics, we probably would not have seen the reactions that such speakers cause.

That's not ever going to occur...

Universities grant degrees in economics, government, political science, and other fields that are certain to create partisan groups, arguments and have to do with creating demonstrations in support of both sides.

The purpose of any demonstration is to demonstrate disagreement with a person (a graduation speaker) or group in as public and obvious a manner as possible and if at all possible make it become a cause celebre...

Writing letters to the university administration only gets the letters ignored and put in the trash.

When I was attending Rensselaer - the nations oldest technological research university - during the last year of the Vietnam War, there were more than a few demonstrations by students who were in the hard sciences and technological fields - many of which I participated in - because the cause was just - the justification for Vietnam always was a totally bogus lie - and that fact needed to be brought to the nations' attention.

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 312

This thread would not even exist if the Universities also did their job in whom they actually invite to their graduating class.
Can anyone imagine here, if a University would actually have Obama, Hillary, or even G.W Bush as their speakers
Come on, we blame our kids but we don't also want to see the actions of the so called "adults"
If the Universities would stick to academics, instead of politics, we probably would not have seen the reactions that such speakers cause.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 312

PKEACS wrote:

I have read and considered all the comments herein expressed and I thank you for sharing them. My bottom line supports everyone's  fundamental right to express oneself, but I cannot come round to the idea that this is OK whenever and wherever. There are many other opportunities for protest in our society without distracting (at the very least) the attention of others who are immersed in something else very special to them. A graduation ceremony is not the time or the place. 

You are correct in your post. the only problem that I see, is that the University also should not incite these types of behaviour by simply not having speakers that are controversial.

There is always two sides of any story.