Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Kind of American uses Russian Anti-virus Software

Message 41 of 172 (159 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

"Another Poster"?  Why didn't you just use my name?  I don't want anything reported back to a Russian Company, it's my choice. It's a shame that so many seem to have a blind trust for the Russians and Russian companies, IMHO.

You might be surprised where you software is reporting information about your software use.  All that would be reported back would be new variations of virus and malware that is constantly being introduced onto the internet.  This information is used to create protection against them for you and others.

If you have an anti-virus program, it might be reporting the same type of information to the Czech Republic, United Kingdom, or other places. 

But of course you are an authority on software issues because you have a brother on the Board of Directors of a computer related firm...as you have mentioned.  Different when one has personal knowledge themselves.  If a person was really computer literate they would have a widely recommended anti-ransomware program on their computer. 

I do detect that most of your posts are based more on animosity about politics rather discussion items. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 42 of 172 (156 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

alferdpacker wrote:

In some cases anti virus software is unnecessary - as with my CAD-CAM, CNC, EDM and Water Jet Cutting computers that have never been connected to the net.

All of that and the part I redacted is nice.  But what does it all mean, and have you proof you have all this hardware, but what does it lend to the discussion?  One can search the internet and come up with all sorts of stuff to throw to go together to sound impressive.

Above all, what does it have to do with this software and Russians?

Keep in mind that many things can be hidden in updates.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 43 of 172 (162 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

mandm84 wrote:

Politifact confirms 17 Intelligence Agencies blame Russia. http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/oct/19/hillary-clinton/hillary-clinton-blame...

Ok, what does that have to do with Kaspersky's anti-virus?  Are you aware that all anti-virus software reports back to the maker?  They do this in reporting new virus signatures they come across so they can be examined to add to updates.  You also an expert on software like the other poster thinks he/she is?

"Another Poster"?  Why didn't you just use my name?  I don't want anything reported back to a Russian Company, it's my choice. It's a shame that so many seem to have a blind trust for the Russians and Russian companies, IMHO.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 44 of 172 (156 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

Actually, I have learned a heck of a lot from my brother who is a Director for one of the largest computer firms in America. My work partner's son got his masters in computer security and I've learned much from him also.

I see no sense in using a Russian anti-virus when I can use one made in the USA that is just as good (but then I have always been big on using American made anything that I can). I have had no problems with viruses or any kind of spy ware. My computer has remained secure for years.

Famous last words, but then again it only takes one attack to demobilize a computer.  Are you protected against ransomware? 

But of course having a brother who is a director of a computer firm should keep virus ware out won't it.  Doesn't mean that you are knowledgeable.  My son is an IT executive with one of the world's largest oil companies, plus my many years of experience should keep my computer safe?  I also have a brother with executive experience and over 60 years experience in programming.  But that doesn't mean a thing.

As far as using a Russian program over an American one? Are you sure it's American, or one that is from another country?  I'm sure that any computer virus would be blocked just because your antivirus is American.

I will not argue with you over who knows more, it seem as though that may be what you prefer to do. But .............. your son is an IT. My brother has many IT's and another layer of workers between them and himself. He designs the systems that the IT's have to be continually couched on to keep them running efficiently.

I choose to use American made security for my computer, and yes, it is American made and managed in America. I have had no virus or security problems so it must be working just fine. I use American products to support America and American workers. Use Russian products if you want and reward them for hacking into our state voter data bases and other American data bases if you choose. I refuse to.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 45 of 172 (149 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

So you actually think that you are more knowledgeable about anti viruses and such than most people here?

No but from many of the posts here probably more than some.  And what about you?

Actually, I have learned a heck of a lot from my brother who is a Director for one of the largest computer firms in America. My work partner's son got his masters in computer security and I've learned much from him also.

I see no sense in using a Russian anti-virus when I can use one made in the USA that is just as good (but then I have always been big on using American made anything that I can). I have had no problems with viruses or any kind of spy ware. My computer has remained secure for years.

Did you learn from them that there is a massive conspiracy involving Staples, Amazon, PC Magazine, Walmart, Birchers (including Richard Wolffe), the Illuminati, among others to take the election from Hillary (one theory running through this topic)?

Other than that the consumer will buy the product they prefer - no politics or partisanship involved.

No comment on an erroneous posting that is only designed to inflame and/or bait another poster.

Message 46 of 172 (139 Views)

gordyfl wrote:

There was no hard evidence of Russian hacking. And, now, 10 months into multiple investigations of Russian hacking, there’s still no evidence. How can that be?

If there had been evidence of Russian hacking, they why didn't Obama release it early on after the elections rather than waiting until right before to start attempting to cast doubt on the incoming administration and casting doubt?  I couldn't help but feeling that Obama was upset because his selected surrogate wasn't elected to protect his legacy.

If those alleged '17 intelligence agencies' have indication or proof that there was interference then the American people have a right to know the truth.  The government doesn't have to release specifics, but can at least an indication.

It has been done before and enough to be believable but not compromising the sources.  Of course if a Trump administraton released information, casting light on this, it would be said they were attempting to cover their tracks.

Everytime this is mentioned, there is an effort here to cast doubt that this is anything but true.  But all that they can do is repeat the cry about '17 intelligence agencies' without any supporting information.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 47 of 172 (144 Views)

I agree.  So far no proof or any sort of valid indication has been presented, just innuendo and a lot of accusations.  I have no doubt that Russia has been engaging in cyperspying and cybermeddling.

There's one glitch to the ‘Blame Russia’ scheme. There was no hard evidence of Russian hacking. And, now, 10 months into multiple investigations of Russian hacking, there’s still no evidence. How can that be?

Well, for one thing, the FBI was never given access to the DNC computers.

Let me repeat that: In the biggest and most politically-explosive investigation in more than a decade, an investigation that has obvious national security implications– alleged cyber-espionage by a hostile foreign power, alleged collusion by high-ranking officials in the current administration, alleged treason or collusion on part of the Chief Executive, and the possible impeachment of a sitting president– the FBI has not yet secured or examined the servers that may or may not provide compelling forensic evidence of cyber-intrusion by Russia.

Why? Why would the FBI accept the analysis of some flunky organization that no one has ever heard of before (Crowdstrike) rather than use all the tools at their disposal to thoroughly investigate whether or not the hacking actually took place or not? Isn’t that their job?

Yer darn right it is. The reason the FBI never insisted on examining the DNC servers, is because they knew the story was baloney from the get go. Otherwise they would have kicked down the doors at the DNC, seized the computers through brute force, and arrested anyone who tried to stop them. Those computers are Exhibit A in the Trial of the Century. They should be under lock and key at FBI Headquarters not collecting cobwebs in the basement of the DNC-HQ.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2017/08/01/did-hillary-scapegoat-russia-to-save-her-campaign/

Message 48 of 172 (150 Views)

gordyfl wrote:

I can't wait until Congress finishes their investigation, so, maybe, they'll tell the American people how, and to what degree Russia meddled, interfered, hacked or attempted to influence our election. Otherwise, all we can do up to this point is speculate.

I agree.  So far no proof or any sort of valid indication has been presented, just innuendo and a lot of accusations.  I have no doubt that Russia has been engaging in cyperspying and cybermeddling, but then again so has the United States.   This has been going on for decades.

[ Edited ]
Message 49 of 172 (150 Views)

alferdpacker wrote:

In some cases anti virus software is unnecessary - as with my CAD-CAM, CNC, EDM and Water Jet Cutting computers that have never been connected to the net.

All of that and the part I redacted is nice.  But what does it all mean, and have you proof you have all this hardware, but what does it lend to the discussion?  One can search the internet and come up with all sorts of stuff to throw to go together to sound impressive.

Above all, what does it have to do with this software and Russians?

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 50 of 172 (148 Views)

Yes, 17 intelligence agencies really did say Russia was behind hacking

A White House Memo article on Monday about President Trump’s deflections and denials about Russia referred incorrectly to the source of an intelligence assessment that said Russia orchestrated hacking attacks during last year’s presidential election. The assessment was made by four intelligence agencies — the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National Security Agency. The assessment was not approved by all 17 organizations in the American intelligence community.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/25/us/politics/trumps-deflections-and-denials-on-russia-frustrate...

The January report presented its findings by saying "we assess," with "we" meaning "an assessment by all three agencies."
The October statement, on the other hand, said "The U.S. Intelligence Community (USIC) is confident" in its assessment. As we noted in the article, the 17 separate agencies did not independently come to this conclusion, but as the head of the intelligence community, the Office of the Director of National Intelligence speaks on behalf of the group.

Assess (definition): "evaluate or estimate the nature, ability, or quality of."

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2016/oct/19/hillary-clinton/hillary-clinton-blame...

I can't wait until Congress finishes their investigation, so, maybe, they'll tell the American people how, and to what degree Russia meddled, interfered, hacked or attempted to influence our election. Otherwise, all we can do up to this point is speculate.