The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: What Kind of American uses Russian Anti-virus Software

Message 31 of 172 (177 Views)

gordyfl wrote:

PC Editors Choice.png

Kaspersky is rated "Excellent" by PC Magazine. 

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460964,00.asp

Thanks...and I would believe I'd listen to PC Magazine to protect my computers before biased and partisan posters on a political discussion forum.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 32 of 172 (182 Views)

PC Editors Choice.png

Kaspersky is rated "Excellent" by PC Magazine. 

https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460964,00.asp

Message 33 of 172 (176 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

alferdpacker wrote:

I never used Kaspersky because of it's known conflicts with other security software.

There is some conficts that Kaspersky listed, but if one is employing a certain security or anti-virus software then why have the others? 

And what does the rest of your post have to do with the topic?  Going for one-upmanship?

Unnecessary.

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning

Message 34 of 172 (176 Views)

alferdpacker wrote:

I never used Kaspersky because of it's known conflicts with other security software.

There is some conficts that Kaspersky listed, but if one is employing a certain security or anti-virus software then why have the others? 

And what does the rest of your post have to do with the topic?  Going for one-upmanship?

[ Edited ]
Message 35 of 172 (180 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

MIseker wrote:

I used Norton for years, and have used avast, avg, and other free versions since I stopped paying for protection for my PC. windows provides sufficient defense along with a few other freebies I run. Im comfortable with the free stuff, since my mindset is any good hacker that wants to target me will get in no matter what I use. so there are things that dont go on my pc, but maybe go on the wifes apple. Cyberworld is a dangerous and open place. nothing you type is guaranteed to be a secret.

So you have used AVG and AVAST.  AVG is headquarterd in the United Kingdom, but has been aquired by AVAST, which is headquartered in the Czech Republic.  Kaspersky might be located in Russia, but is operated by a holding company in the United Kingdom.  A fact that has never been mentioned because of being terrified by the "R" word.

But I have tried most, and have stayed with the native Windows Defender mostly because it doesn't interfer with other programs, however some experts says it is not as effective as the others.

I use mostly freeware myself since for my purposes most work just as well as the commercial versions.  As far as computer security if a person is careful one can be sure of security. 

I used AVG and Avast for about a week each and deleted them because I didn't care for them - partially performance issues, partially because of conflicts with other software.

I've always used Norton along with Microsoft and other software - some freeware, some paid.

I have some acquaintances from school and elsewhere in engineering and related fields, who before retiring, worked for Motorola, IBM, Intel, AMD, Microsoft and Adobe.

Two of my kid's spouses write and code gaming software - I've always listened to all my friends and acquaintances in the field regarding computer and software choices, just as they often listen to me regarding engineering/vehicle sorts of opinions, although lately, asthetics is as important in the choice of the average transportation vehicle as anything else.

To each his own said the man as he kissed the purple cow...

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning

Message 36 of 172 (192 Views)

MIseker wrote:

I used Norton for years, and have used avast, avg, and other free versions since I stopped paying for protection for my PC. windows provides sufficient defense along with a few other freebies I run. Im comfortable with the free stuff, since my mindset is any good hacker that wants to target me will get in no matter what I use. so there are things that dont go on my pc, but maybe go on the wifes apple. Cyberworld is a dangerous and open place. nothing you type is guaranteed to be a secret.

So you have used AVG and AVAST.  AVG is headquarterd in the United Kingdom, but has been aquired by AVAST, which is headquartered in the Czech Republic.  Kaspersky might be located in Russia, but is operated by a holding company in the United Kingdom.  A fact that has never been mentioned because of being terrified by the "R" word.

But I have tried most, and have stayed with the native Windows Defender mostly because it doesn't interfer with other programs, however some experts says it is not as effective as the others.

I use mostly freeware myself since for my purposes most work just as well as the commercial versions.  As far as computer security if a person is careful one can be sure of security. 

Message 37 of 172 (194 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

Do you use Kapersky anti-virus? 

Not pertinent to the discussion, but no, the anti-virus I use is Microsoft Windows native anti-virus/anti-malware program Windows Defender.  But the only reason I do so is because I've found that most anti-virus programs furnish unwanted features that can't be turned off.    In addition they have a tendency to interfere with other programs.  I have used AVG and AVAST and found they tend to do this.  Additionally I use an anti-ransomware program that resides covertly on my computer.

But that said, I would take the word of prominent computer technical magazines review of these programs rather than that of politically biased posters on a discussion group.  All three of these programs come highly recommended by computer experts.

So it begins.

[ Edited ]
Message 38 of 172 (197 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

Actually, I have learned a heck of a lot from my brother who is a Director for one of the largest computer firms in America. My work partner's son got his masters in computer security and I've learned much from him also.

In these cases since your brother is an executive in a large computer firm, and your work partner's son has a masters in computer security why not let them speak as to the standing of Kaspersky's Anti-Virus instead letting your partisan bias enter into this.  There is no doubt everything you have written about this is your opinion and not theirs.  You need to ask them about Kaspersky's.

Your entire argument is that since it is not an American product it is suspect.  How can you be assured that any software you use is entirely produced in this country?  Or that the programmers are Americans?

But as far as spying, have you noticed when installing software it asks if you are willing to share information with the manufacturer in the interests of improvement?  I've always declined and then the operating system will enable the firewall from sending out information unless I authorize it.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 39 of 172 (200 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

So you actually think that you are more knowledgeable about anti viruses and such than most people here?

No but from many of the posts here probably more than some.  And what about you?

Actually, I have learned a heck of a lot from my brother who is a Director for one of the largest computer firms in America. My work partner's son got his masters in computer security and I've learned much from him also.

I see no sense in using a Russian anti-virus when I can use one made in the USA that is just as good (but then I have always been big on using American made anything that I can). I have had no problems with viruses or any kind of spy ware. My computer has remained secure for years.

Did you learn from them that there is a massive conspiracy involving Staples, Amazon, PC Magazine, Walmart, Birchers (including Richard Wolffe), the Illuminati, among others to take the election from Hillary (one theory running through this topic)?

Other than that the consumer will buy the product they prefer - no politics or partisanship involved.

No comment on an erroneous posting that is only designed to inflame and/or bait another poster.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa - I admit it, i was baiting. Trying to "bait" posters into some factual information.

Apparently I failed.

Message 40 of 172 (206 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

Keep in mind that many things can be hidden in updates.

And someone with technical expertise would be aware of it immediately because they would find out from the technical connections.  But of course this about updates is your thinking isn't it. 

Again, I detect more political animosity rather than any knowledge of the topic.  The software is considered among the top anti-virus by the tecnical computer experts in this country.  So are you going to say you know more than them?  Even with your family connections?