Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: What Kind of American uses Russian Anti-virus Software

Message 21 of 172 (199 Views)

U.S.-made presidential plane for Chinese President Jiang Zemin had been found to be bugged with at least 20 listening devices. The Chinese president would not use the plane.

I remember in 2002 Colin Powell was asked about this incident. He looked guilty when he smiled and wouldn't answer the question.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jan/19/news/mn-23654

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 172 (199 Views)

Interesting. How many other devices important to our security have been outsourced? We cannot buy a computer that doesn't have parts made overseas, mostly in SE Asia, and I'm wondering how many computer parts can be designed to harbor a virus - it's not like you can "inspect" a memory chip with the naked eye or a specially trained canine to sniff out a virus. China has a rather long history of taking the long view of things - 2000 years to get goldfish who "look up"? Would they consider small steps today that could hobble an adversary a decade hence? Yeah, they definately could. Would we give up higher profits and wages for executives to stop it? Naw, not a chance. Do they understand this? You betcha.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 172 (184 Views)

What Kind of American uses Chinese Drones?

U.S. Army halts use of Chinese-made drones over cyber concerns

NEW YORK (Reuters) - The U.S. Army has ordered its members to stop using drones made by Chinese manufacturer SZ DJI Technology Co Ltd because of "cyber vulnerabilities" in the products.

An Aug. 2 Army memo posted online and verified by Reuters applies to all DJI drones and systems that use DJI components or software. It requires service members to "cease all use, uninstall all DJI applications, remove all batteries/storage media and secure equipment for follow-on direction."

The memo says DJI drones are the most widely used by the Army among off-the-shelf equipment of that type.

DJI said in a statement that it was "surprised and disappointed" at the Army's "unprompted restriction on DJI drones as we were not consulted during their decision."

The privately held company said it would contact the Army to determine what it means by "cyber vulnerabilities" and was willing to work with the Pentagon to address concerns.

Analysts at Goldman Sachs and Oppenheimer estimated in 2016 that DJI had about 70 percent share of the global commercial and consumer drone market. Goldman analysts estimated the market, including military, to be worth more than $100 billion over the next five years.

The Army was considering issuing a statement about the policy, said Army spokesman Dov Schwartz.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-army-drones-idUSKBN1AK2C0

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 172 (185 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

I do detect that most of your posts are based more on animosity about politics rather discussion items. 

I choose not to use a Russian product for computer security. If you choose to so be it. Note that I did not quote all of your posting, I omitted most of the stuff that has the essence of being a personal attack, except for this last part which also is.

And by the way ................ I do detect that most of your posts are based more on animosity about politics rather than on discussing items. 

Have a wonderful day

Way t'go - buy American. Do you check your socks too??

And by the way ................ I do detect that most of your posts are based more on animosity about fellow posters rather than on discussing items. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 172 (181 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

I use Norton, but I have others running with it that are completable. It's common to do so.

As for your "one-upmanship" comment ............. are you not as guilty of that as anyone?

No one-upmanship here, but I'm beginning to see more and more about who is knowledgable.  As far as compatible with other programs, when two are on the same computer only one would be active.  Windows Defender becomes inactive when another anti-virus is installed. 

And no, it is not common to have two anti-virus programs on one's computer...unless the other has a specialized function.  For instance in addition to a regular anti-virus, I have a dedicated program against ransomware which comes highly recommended.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 172 (173 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

alferdpacker wrote:

I never used Kaspersky because of it's known conflicts with other security software.

There is some conficts that Kaspersky listed, but if one is employing a certain security or anti-virus software then why have the others? 

And what does the rest of your post have to do with the topic?  Going for one-upmanship?

I use Norton, but I have others running with it that are completable. It's common to do so.

As for your "one-upmanship" comment ............. are you not as guilty of that as anyone?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 172 (161 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

I choose not to use a Russian product for computer security.

That's your choice, but have to wonder why you haven't consulted those computer experts you mentioned. 

It certainly wouldn't be you.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 172 (159 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

I choose not to use a Russian product for computer security.

That's your choice, but have to wonder why you haven't consulted those computer experts you mentioned. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 172 (150 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

Keep in mind that many things can be hidden in updates.

And someone with technical expertise would be aware of it immediately because they would find out from the technical connections.  But of course this about updates is your thinking isn't it. 

Again, I detect more political animosity rather than any knowledge of the topic.  The software is considered among the top anti-virus by the tecnical computer experts in this country.  So are you going to say you know more than them?  Even with your family connections?

You continue to make this personal don't you? Warnings have been given about using this Russian product. Ignore it if you choose. It's that simple.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 172 (145 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

I do detect that most of your posts are based more on animosity about politics rather discussion items. 

I choose not to use a Russian product for computer security. If you choose to so be it. Note that I did not quote all of your posting, I omitted most of the stuff that has the essence of being a personal attack, except for this last part which also is.

And by the way ................ I do detect that most of your posts are based more on animosity about politics rather than on discussing items. 

Have a wonderful day