Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: What Kind of American uses Russian Anti-virus Software

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 172 (51 Views)

What I use period on my personal computers is NOrton Internet Security at least for Windows machines.

Properly configured, always running in background, no degradation in speed.

The only slowing I've seen is with Celerons and entry level AMD processors or Avast or AVG software paid or free no difference. They crawled and I used expletives😈.

My slowest and oldest computer I5 with 6 Gb Ram no speed problems.

Cant speak about there other AntiViral programs, it's also the only one I install on all my computers that run Windows, which are sold by my company. I like it enough to cover 2year subscription.

Prefer that to the alternative of cleaning crap off off own brand.🤣

Kaspersky, Sophos, McAfee...Are in my toolbox and used when needed, for other issues.

Nothing cures everything you require other measures in place like updates, security patches, AntiMalware, pop up blockers, etc the list goes on and on.

Beyond that perhaps C&T is the correct place to post questions or get answers😇.

Froze

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 172 (65 Views)

With Norton, do you ever get the message that says "scanning" for any potential problems. During the scanning, everything slowed down.

One way I judged how effective a software is - I occasionally go to a sports channel and send it to my TV. The sport channel is loaded with spam interruptions. McAfee was totally ineffective. Norton would gradually, over several weeks remove those slams. In time, I'd have no spam. Kaspersky would remove the slams as well, but in less time.

I like Norton and Kaspersky. I'd be happy with either. If I ever switched, it would likely be to Norton.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 172 (76 Views)

gordyfl wrote:

I had McAffee. It came free with my new computer. I didn't like it. I had Norton. It seemed good except my computer ran noticably slower.

I know now that Kaspersky software is a Russian company, but will I feel safer it it was made by the Chinese? 

One thing I like about Kaspersky - whenever I order something online, or do anything with banking, they always open up a separate secure browser. 

Norton doesn't run slow if you turn all other security off, like Defender, etc.  Norton should be used alone and works excellent, I have used their premium Norton for over ten years and have had absolutely no problems. I just renewed 2 yrs. on multiple computers for under $100. 00.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"

Message 4 of 172 (85 Views)

I had McAffee. It came free with my new computer. I didn't like it. I had Norton. It seemed good except my computer ran noticably slower.

I know now that Kaspersky software is a Russian company, but will I feel safer it it was made by the Chinese? 

One thing I like about Kaspersky - whenever I order something online, or do anything with banking, they always open up a separate secure browser. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 172 (97 Views)

It is more than feasible that the Russians could write coding into this anti-virus software that could extract information. 

I refuse to trust Russian anything in light of their hacking into our voter data bases and tampering with our elections processes. IMO, they are our enemy. Trusting anything cyber related with them is naive, IMO.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 172 (103 Views)

Gordy

Cant help you on pricing of A/V etc mine costs $75 per year for 3 computers. Don't like the cost, shop around or do free with increased thrashing of drive or memory usage.

If you think something doesn't seem right check the email headers🙄.

As far as your phishing blocks -  update your browsers, run a security update on everything MS.

Sounds like you may need to update google/Firefox if getting phishing errors and using Win10? maybe perhaps.😈

Kaspersky is still highly rated just not by Feds at moment.

Customer satisfaction is still there. There Russian yeah, also HQ's around the globe.

They are tops in research.

McAffee is US manufacturer and a twit but, research also great.

I use it and others in work but, not my personal software of choice😇.

Company has a few licenses to CYA and other makers with hardware also for security.

@mandm84

I dunno if you've been compromised. Best Buy stopped selling product but, there's a backstory there. Just can't remember which periodical it was in.

And I avoid thinking about anything BestBuy ruins my rosy outlook.

@MIseker

That policy was somewhat relaxed to allow better talent * to join Military and Federal cyber security agencies- Obama👍 Trump dunno I dunno👎 I have thoughts but, a doobie and Iron Butterfly might be required.

* Army I believe allowed hiring pudgy, non-joggers to work in cyber security, if they could prove flaws/proof of concept.

Enjoy

Froze

Message 7 of 172 (118 Views)

Here's something that just happened. I clicked on a link to a video. Kaspersky blocked the site and said someone was "phishing". OK. Thought not much about it. I did watch the video on my cell phone which is not protected by Kaspersky. But on my home computer, it was blocked by Kaspersky.

Today I recieved a message in my email Inbox telling me that my subscription to Kaspersky is about to expire, and "click here". I believe I deleted it, although I can't seem to locate it now.

The problem is - I had recently renewed my subcription to Kaspersky. Now I believe the email I received and Kaspersky blocking that phishing attempt are related. Hmmm...? 

Something like that usually is sent directly to my Junk Email. But, I guess since it was phishing it got through. Anyway, I'm glad Kaspersky notified me and blocked the website. I hope that's the end of it.

Message 8 of 172 (129 Views)
As for why the US doesnt have the best cybersecurity experts, the FBI asks if you have smoked pot in the last 10 years. Saw that in a documentary, and was someone familiar with FBI. true? dont know...but it sure does sound like the government.
So it begins.

Message 9 of 172 (130 Views)

I bought Kaspersky because it was recommended by someone. At the time I didn't know it was a Russian company.

"Kaspersky", I thought maybe the company was founded by a Polish American. Later I found out it was Russian. But, it's been working very well. So far satisfied.

Here's my negative. I received an email stating that my Kaspersky software will be automatically renewed, I had so many days to decline. Believing the renewing would be much cheaper than the original, I let them renew my anti-virus and security.

Today I see the bill for the one year renewal -- $69.99. That's too much.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 172 (145 Views)

Kaspersky came installed free on my laptop at Best Buy. I returned to the store and they replaced the software. I hope I wasn't compromised.