AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: What Kind of American uses Russian Anti-virus Software

Message 11 of 172 (219 Views)

As for why the problem with Kaspersky, suddenly appears🙄.

https://twitter.com/imafrayedknot1/status/908140460278923264

as as far as why some still tasked with keeping Computers and servers clean might continue to use it, best guess it still works.

As do others but, sometimes you just need Russky s/w or U.K. Like Sophos.😇

Froze

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 12 of 172 (215 Views)

Huh....................appears all that - Liberal Paranoia - has found it's way into the Trump Administration

U.S. moves to ban Kaspersky software in federal agencies amid concerns of Russian espionage

The U.S. government on Wednesday moved to ban the use of a Russian brand of security software by federal agencies amid concerns the company has ties to state-sponsored cyberespionage activities.

In a binding directive, acting homeland security secretary Elaine Duke ordered that federal civilian agencies identify Kaspersky Lab software on their networks. After 90 days, unless otherwise directed, they must remove the software, on the grounds that the company has connections to the Russian government and its software poses a security risk.

The Department of Homeland Security “is concerned about the ties between certain Kaspersky officials and Russian intelligence and other government agencies, and requirements under Russian law that allow Russian intelligence agencies to request or compel assistance from Kaspersky and to intercept communications transiting Russian networks,” the department  said in a statement. “The risk that the Russian government, whether acting on its own or in collaboration with Kaspersky, could capitalize on access provided by Kaspersky products to compromise federal information and information systems directly implicates U.S. national security.”

The directive comes months after the federal General Services Administration, the agency in charge of government purchasing, removed Kaspersky from its list of approved vendors. In doing so, the GSA suggested a vulnerability exists with Kaspersky that could give the Kremlin backdoor access to the systems the company protects.

Source - https://tinyurl.com/ybf2yrf8

Once Again - I ask.......................What Kind of American uses Russian Anti-virus Software?

( " Eat Tic Tacs - Grope Woman - Become President " ) " - Anonymous

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 172 (270 Views)

Just do a google, Bing, duck duck go search of 

proof of concept firmware hacking.

Odds are fairly good first story will be NSA exploits, thanks a bunch to Wikileaks.

Kaspersky found and others.

Android was in the wild, found active.

Amazing what can be found with a simple search.

Froze

Time to play in high winds.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 172 (268 Views)

alferdpacker wrote:

What you should know about firmware viruses

The link indicates that such viruses would affect parts like the bios, or the router, and then through phishing programs, devices like thumb drives, etc.  I'd say these type of infection would be pretty rare.

Sort of ironic that the link also includes a warning from Kaspersky:

Don't let your computer out of your sight while traveling. Security firm Kaspersky has noted state-sponsored attacks at airports and border crossings, dubbing such malicious stunts as "evil maid" attacks. A traveler's computer is removed for inspection and a peripheral device is used to infect it.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 172 (264 Views)

Frozenoem wrote:

I'm relatively certain it's been done before at least Hardware with bad code that loads on boot.Perhaps written on chipsets.

But, needs 2 pots of coffee to remember anything these days.

Android phones and tablets loaded with viruses or malware embedded in operating system. That turned on with each new boot.Those happened maybe 2 years back, were embedded in android so from 4 Chinese factories.

Bought from Amazon or sold in Australia.

Just can't remember, it generally takes an error code for me to remember much of anything.

And UEFI bios was supposed to make it more difficult for bad code to load at boot vs old type bios.

Need coffee, I did put it perhaps on C&T 2-3 years back. When fully conscious will attempt a search in one of my security or hacking groups.

To be aware of possibilities, need to subscribe to many groups. Then take a vacay, and it's 4,000 email update to slog through🙄.

Froze

*sorry 1hour sleep.

Computer malware that has the capacity to rewrite chipset instructions and bios has been verified to exist.

Pretty rare at this point.

Here's an overview...

What you should know about firmware viruses

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning
Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 16 of 172 (272 Views)

I'm relatively certain it's been done before at least Hardware with bad code that loads on boot.Perhaps written on chipsets.

But, needs 2 pots of coffee to remember anything these days.

Android phones and tablets loaded with viruses or malware embedded in operating system. That turned on with each new boot.Those happened maybe 2 years back, were embedded in android so from 4 Chinese factories.

Bought from Amazon or sold in Australia.

Just can't remember, it generally takes an error code for me to remember much of anything.

And UEFI bios was supposed to make it more difficult for bad code to load at boot vs old type bios.

Need coffee, I did put it perhaps on C&T 2-3 years back. When fully conscious will attempt a search in one of my security or hacking groups.

To be aware of possibilities, need to subscribe to many groups. Then take a vacay, and it's 4,000 email update to slog through🙄.

Froze

*sorry 1hour sleep.

Message 17 of 172 (275 Views)

rker321 wrote:

I guess you are correct. I never heard of a mouse, or a sound card having a virus.I really don't think that the hardware of a computer can actually harbor virues. But, who knows!!!

From what I am aware, a computer virus only resides on an operating system, not in memory nor on hardware.  And memory is cleared so it doesn't continue to reside there.  This fear of programs spying brings back memories of the McCarthy era where a communist is behind every tree...and apparently with the frequent mention of 'commies' some still believe that.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 172 (270 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Olderscout66 wrote:

I'm wondering how many computer parts can be designed to harbor a virus - it's not like you can "inspect" a memory chip with the naked eye or a specially trained canine to sniff out a virus.

"You" can install an anti-virus program to scan memory and the hard drive for them.  As far as I can guess it is doubtful that any hardware could conceal a virus. 

Of course the United States wouldn't hide bugs in products for other countries would it?  Especially the head of state?

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jan/19/news/mn-23654

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1769642.stm

I guess you are correct. I never heard of a mouse, or a sound card having a virus.I really don't think that the hardware of a computer can actually harbor virues. But, who knows!!!

Message 19 of 172 (278 Views)

Olderscout66 wrote:

I'm wondering how many computer parts can be designed to harbor a virus - it's not like you can "inspect" a memory chip with the naked eye or a specially trained canine to sniff out a virus.

"You" can install an anti-virus program to scan memory and the hard drive for them.  As far as I can guess it is doubtful that any hardware could conceal a virus. 

Of course the United States wouldn't hide bugs in products for other countries would it?  Especially the head of state?

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/jan/19/news/mn-23654

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/1769642.stm

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 172 (271 Views)

Olderscout66 wrote:

Interesting. How many other devices important to our security have been outsourced? We cannot buy a computer that doesn't have parts made overseas, mostly in SE Asia, and I'm wondering how many computer parts can be designed to harbor a virus - it's not like you can "inspect" a memory chip with the naked eye or a specially trained canine to sniff out a virus. China has a rather long history of taking the long view of things - 2000 years to get goldfish who "look up"? Would they consider small steps today that could hobble an adversary a decade hence? Yeah, they definately could. Would we give up higher profits and wages for executives to stop it? Naw, not a chance. Do they understand this? You betcha.

Would we give up higher profits and wages for executives to stop it?

That is a very interesting phrasing and one that reveals quite a bit about the author. The "we" who has to be concerned about cyber security and cyber warfare is the government. The statement says that "we" (the government) should determine profits and wages.

Let's see now, is that the way it works in our form of government???