The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Gold Conversationalist

Re: What Hurricane Do You Remember Most?

Message 1 of 22 (306 Views)

In August of 1955 we were visiting my maternal grandmother, who in the summers lived on her brother-in-law's farm northwest of Collinsville,  Connecticut. We heard that Diane, which first made landfall in North Carolina, was turning northeast and strengthening. It started raining on August 18, as I recall. It rained hard all day and all night. We woke up on the 19th and found ourselves on an island! To the east of us the Farmington River had flooded, cutting off U.S. Highway 44 in that direction. To the west, over the crest of a mountain, the Mad River had swept through the town of Winsted, destroying 95% of the businesses there and blocking Route 44 in that direction. We were isolated for two days before we could reach Hartford. Diane was the nation's first billion-dollar hurricane.

Info Seeker

Message 2 of 22 (404 Views)

I was living on Guam in 1976 and experienced Super Typhoon Pamela.  I'll never forget the sound of the howling winds for 18 hours.  Even being on the second floor we had water damage as the rain just came through every crack.  During the eye my husband went outside to barbecue meat from our freezer and barely made it back inside with the grill blowing away as the storm returned from the opposite side.  We had no power for 41 days after that.  Since then many wooden homes have been replaced by concrete ones after the typhoon destroyed 3,000 homes and damaged another 3,000. Even the power poles are made of concrete now. I'll never forget the utter devastion that greeted us when it was over - the flooding and the stripping away of all the greenery.  After, there was only one fast food restaurant that was able to be open with a generator until they ran out of supplies and the only place to get something cold to drink with all the heat and humidity.  Ice was like gold.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 22 (412 Views)

While Hurricane Irene 2011 almost ruined my outdoor wedding (she waited until all the guests were gone) and Hurricane Sandy left us withoot cable/internet or any way to get off our mountain for 8 days (fortunately we had a full house generator) it was Hurricane Diane in 1955 that was closer to home. This storm carried a huge amount of moisture flooding tributaries of and the Delaware and Lehigh rivers. We had a summer cabin on the Delaware and it started flooding in the middle of the night. All night I fought that river to save out boats and dock (I was 16 at thr time). Car horns beeped for a long time to warn the people on an island across from us. As daylight  came we saw just how ravaging the river had become....the unimaginable debris that was coming down at unbelievable speeds ....so great the river and its debris tore out the middle of a steel bridge in Easton, Pa. and a few others after it. With the swollen Lehigh River dumping into the Delaware just below Easton the water backed up inundating Easton. The high water marks still exist. If I remember right over 200 people died in that torrent many from a camp up river . Never saw anyone from FEMA but then we could not get into Easton so maybe they were there. all we saw were the Nat'l Guard who rescued the people on the Island (which eventually disappeared under the river) and health officials who said anyone who had been in that water needed to have typhoid shots (ugh they were horrible). I did save the boats and dock which were by that time floating in our back yard (we were on a 40ft bank). The water flowed under our cabin to a field which was lower than our yard so nothing was hurt in the house.. I have often wondered if there would have been different outcomes if we had had the communication advances and warning systems of today. It was a night and days I shall never forget.

Info Seeker

Message 4 of 22 (441 Views)

The hurricane that I remember most is Hurricane Betsy. It happened on the night of September 9, 1965, New Orleans, Louisiana. It was the first day of school for the public school children of New Orleans. I had started the eigth grade at a local junior high school. I will never for get how the house flooded and I lost all of my brand new school clothes.

At the time, I lived in the 9th ward of the city. It was the area that received the most devastation. We had to leave our house, wade the water to our next door neighbor, who had an upstairs house and ride the storm out there. The water reached the top of the stairs that lead to the second story. As a child, I was horrified by the sound of the howling wind, rain, and objects crashing into the side of the house. We sat soakimg wet on the floor of the second story and prayed all night long.

Ever since then, I will not remain in the city when a hurricane approaches. I evaacuate to my relatives in North Louisiana.

Conversationalist

Message 5 of 22 (451 Views)

Katrina had the most effect on my life. If you look at the on-line transcript of Ron Brown and his floundering and joking in e-mails while people were dying, it makes me sick. The sheer magnitude of lack of preparedness was amazing, especially since we had been through Andrew and other similar hurricances. George W. Bush went to the bed the night Gov. Blanco sent him an e-mail asking him to declare a State of Emergency. FEMA was not prepared (again, Ron Brown), food, water, medicine, and trailers did not come in time for help, the National Guard and Coast Guard came as quickly as they could to help people and stop the looting, but an emergency plan was not in place. The conditions in the Super Dome were appauling. I am glad that since Katrina provisions have been put in place for some shelters to take in pets. I would have been one of those people standing on a roof top waiving for help before I left my pets behind. I hope we all keep learning from these mistakes from the past and never repeat them.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 22 (558 Views)

The first one that I remember was Carla in 1961. I was about 10 and we lived in the central Texas area, well away from the coast. Some friends of my Dad came up from Bay City to stay with us. Carla was still packing a good punch with tropical storm winds when the eye passed to the east of us. I remember the howling winds and heavy downpours as the bands passed over us. There were reports of funnel clouds, but I don't recall any touchdowns in our vicinity. It was still very scary, especially to a kid.

Then came Katrina in 2005. I remember evacuees coming to Austin from New Orleans. I went to the shelter to volunteer. It was heartbreaking to hear their stories. Many were separated from family members who were evacuated to other shelters, and they didn't know where they were or how to contact them. And remember, this was the storm where many had to leave pets behind. Computers were set up at the shelter and voluteers helped them look for family members and rescued pets. It's unimaginable what these folks were going through, and something I won't forget.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 22 (570 Views)

I lived through the'Blizzard of '77' here in Buffalo with my parents.We became the national news story for about a week. It does boggle my mind it was the 40th anniv in Jan.Any big snowstorm we've had since then,doesn't compare to that one. Sue 

Walkers Take It All In Strides
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 22 (592 Views)
I recall the palm sunday tornadoes..i was outside with the neighbor kid playing and we could see the storm clouds south of us. It hit our media market, ( south bend elkhart) ad i remember one tv channel going black and just usinf voice as they describes pulling out bodies. This just popped in my head as the wife and i were discussing the hurricanes..and it truly gave me chills.

this is a link to the major paper in my area
http://www.southbendtribune.com/app/palmsunday/

I posted it for one of the most famous tornado pictures ever. i was 9 then. Yeah I had an unreasonable fear of tornadoes after that.
So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 22 (632 Views)

So very glad for your aunt. and the only advice that I can offer, is, when a hurricane  shows up, EVACUATE  that is the best thing you can do. 

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 22 (662 Views)

What about Hurricane Betsy my great aunt had 7ft of water insider her house. She was 5ft 3 an just got away with her life. She lost everything. This was New Orleans 1965. It may have been 50 years ago but she lived and survived Katrina at 97 years old lost everything again and lived to be 101 years old.