ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: WHO AND WHAT ARE THE EVANGELICALS. ARE THEY A FORMAL RELIGION?

Message 1 of 10

umbarch64 wrote:

rker321 wrote:

I know very little about the evangelicals. so I am asking the question. Are they a formalized religion like Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterian, Baptist and any other formal religion? or are they a group of people that sit in a church and simply listen to a person that talks to them about religion and Christianity?
What is their foundation as a formalized religion?

It seems to me that they function somewhat different than other known religions. and that is why I am asking the questions.
Are they like the people that used to meet at a tent and cure people that were sick just of faith?
Who knows what is a Evangelical. what is it that they represent. what is their foundation, etc.

Please check out a recognized dictionary or encyclopedia with credentials.  Labels, if used at all, should be accurate, especially when it comes to organized religion.  Too much chance of giving offense when none was intended. Especially when it comes to today's so-called evangelicals. 

Example:  Those who say they are followers of Jesus may describe their church as evangelical, meaning they accept The 'Gospels' as the basis for their faith. That varies from one organized church to another.  Lurtherans often use the country of origin along with evangelical in their title.  So you get Norwegian or Swedish or German Evangelical Church. That title may or may not reflect the ethnic makeup of the congregation. Doctrine varies. Baptism, Instruction and confirmation in the faith is part of the prescribed ritual for membership. 

The United Church of Christ could also be termed evangelical. One of its roots is the Congregational Church.  Their doctrine is far less rigid than, say, Baptists or Missouri Synod Lutherans which can be very strict when it comes to individual beliefs and behavior....and the consequences that will surely come in the life hereafter as they see it. 

You would have to talk to a Unitarian personally to determine any and all belief structure as it is highly individual. I'm not sure whether or not they would accept being described as evangelical, even by dictionary definitions.  Current use of the word 'evangelical' has morphed into something other than was first intended, that's for sure.    

Thankyou  for your explanation, I guess that I will go to the Internet and try to gain knowledge about what is and who are the Evangelicals.  I know that people that go to a Presbyterian Church or a Anglican or Lutheran, Methodist or many other protestant religions do not call themselves  Evangelicals, therefore I thought that Evangelicals were an specific religion. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 10

rker321 wrote:

I know very little about the evangelicals. so I am asking the question. Are they a formalized religion like Anglicans, Lutherans, Presbyterian, Baptist and any other formal religion? or are they a group of people that sit in a church and simply listen to a person that talks to them about religion and Christianity?

It seems to me that they function somewhat different than other known religions. and that is why I am asking the questions.
Are they like the people that used to meet at a tent and cure people that were sick just of faith?
Who knows what is a Evangelical. what is it that they represent. what is their foundation, etc.

Please check out a recognized dictionary or encyclopedia with credentials.  Labels, if used at all, should be accurate, especially when it comes to organized religion.  Too much chance of giving offense when none was intended. Especially when it comes to today's so-called evangelicals. 

Example:  Those who say they are followers of Jesus may describe their church as evangelical, meaning they accept The 'Gospels' as the basis for their faith. That varies from one organized church to another.  Lurtherans often use the country of origin along with evangelical in their title.  So you get Norwegian or Swedish or German Evangelical Church. That title may or may not reflect the ethnic makeup of the congregation. Doctrine varies. Baptism, Instruction and confirmation in the faith is part of the prescribed ritual for membership. 

The United Church of Christ could also be termed evangelical. One of its roots is the Congregational Church.  Their doctrine is far less rigid than, say, Baptists or Missouri Synod Lutherans which can be very strict when it comes to individual beliefs and behavior....and the consequences that will surely come in the life hereafter as they see it. 

You would have to talk to a Unitarian personally to determine any and all belief structure as it is highly individual. I'm not sure whether or not they would accept being described as evangelical, even by dictionary definitions.  Current use of the word 'evangelical' has morphed into something other than was first intended, that's for sure.    

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 10

rker321 wrote:

I wonder if their ministers are ordained in any anything and what are their teachings. Do they actually know the Bible or do they simply interpret as they wish.
And who are the people that actually belong to this so called church?

I have heard many times by many that the Mormom church is by many considered a cult is this the same with the Evangelicals,?are they also considered by many a cult?

It all depends upon what one defines as "ordination" and by what group.

I'm ordained as a minister/priest by six different religious organizations that required nothing for the ordination...   

So - are those free ordinations "the real thing"?

Last thing anyone was certain of - none of the disciples had to pay a fee of any sort to Jesus to be allowed/authorized to "teach all nations, baptising them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost - teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you" - did they?

As for whether one believes that the writings of Joseph Smith, the founder of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints are a deity-inspired restoration of what christianity is supposed to be - that would be a personal thing - as is all religious belief.   

It is instructive to note that according to LDS records, at the time of his death, Joseph Smith was married to 34 women - eleven of whom were married to another living man at the time they married him.

And Smith publicly maintained that he was married to only one wife...

We each have to decide what we believe...

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 10

I wonder if their ministers are ordained in any anything and what are their teachings. Do they actually know the Bible or do they simply interpret as they wish.
And who are the people that actually belong to this so called church?

I have heard many times by many that the Mormom church is by many considered a cult is this the same with the Evangelicals,?are they also considered by many a cult?

Message 5 of 10

rker321 wrote:

So they the descendants of those tent goes that I used to see  on TV on Sundays in which they performed constant miracles?

I remember that I used to see them and would actually laugh at their  innocence. and completely caught by these  so called ministers. 
WoW, have they grown and gotten so big  in all of these years?  And do they still perform miracles every Sunday?

Perhaps not literal genetic descendants in all cases - but unquestionably spiritually, morally, and ethically the same kind of easily gulled obtuse kinds of people who are just like those in the past who guzzled the koolaide - both literally and figuratively...

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 10

So they the descendants of those tent goes that I used to see  on TV on Sundays in which they performed constant miracles?

I remember that I used to see them and would actually laugh at their  innocence. and completely caught by these  so called ministers. 
WoW, have they grown and gotten so big  in all of these years?  And do they still perform miracles every Sunday?

Message 7 of 10

rker321 wrote:

I am not going to dispute what you are saying, perhaps that is their political and social inclinations as conservatives. but, I would like to know more as to their religion their rules if they have any, their philosophy, their churches etc.

Are they similar to what I remember seeing in the movies  like an Elmer Gantry type of ministry? Are there any Evangelicals in this message board that could answer my questions.?

No doubt whatsoever - the vast majority of evangelicals are modern day followers of modern day Elmer Gantry-like frauds and charlatans whose perverted and corrupted biblical interpretations have lead their flocks astray.

That many of them are extremely earnest in their beliefs does not change the fact that they are quacks and crackpots.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 10

I am not going to dispute what you are saying, perhaps that is their political and social inclinations as conservatives. but, I would like to know more as to their religion their rules if they have any, their philosophy, their churches etc.

Are they similar to what I remember seeing in the movies  like an Elmer Gantry type of ministry? Are there any Evangelicals in this message board that could answer my questions.?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 10

It seems to me that Evangelicals are those who take the Bible literally, who believe there should be no separation between church and state and who are right-wing conservatives. They're mainly run by men as women should ideally be wives and mothers. I guess it depends on their degree of conservatism which promotes wars, foreign interventions and guns. They're against women's issues, gays, public education and social programs that help their fellow Americans. However, many of them are taking advantage of Medicaid, SS disability, food stamps as well as SS and Medicare for seniors. It's ironic how quickly they can turn to government, which they despise, when they need help. 

Valued Social Butterfly

WHO AND WHAT ARE THE EVANGELICALS. ARE THEY A FORMAL RELIGION?

Message 10 of 10