Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: WHERE'S THE TRICKLE?

Message 1 of 135

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

The 'Trickle' in this tax plan is the trickle of money from the middle class and below into the coffers of the 1%, much of which will be further tax sheltered in off-shore accounts.

How is that possible (middle and below) when 47% pay no income tax??

FOCUS

Sounds like you can't come up with a defense of the silly statement you made.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 135

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

The 'Trickle' in this tax plan is the trickle of money from the middle class and below into the coffers of the 1%, much of which will be further tax sheltered in off-shore accounts.

How is that possible (middle and below) when 47% pay no income tax??

FOCUS

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 135

I did comment on one site that was a year old, but can apply something towards an existing discussion here. In the midst of our discussions, let us not forget about Pearl Harbor.Let us take a moment to say a prayer and give our thanks to those who have made sacrifices for our country and it's citizens.

Thru their efforts, they fought for our freedoms and giving us this right to speak our minds without fear of retribution. For all of us! 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 135

@rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

A reduction in tax rates means that a person gets to keep more of the money they earned - not getting someone else's money.

A reduction in taxes means an increase in the debt, yes, the same debt Conservatives only whine about when Dems are in office/WH, a decrease in services, a decrease in benefits and a decrease in the standard of living for many, a less secure country as homeland security is being cut 25% and the quality of our water and air.

Any thoughts on that??

I have to admit - I am not a fan of deficit spending, and I don't care which Party is in charge. On the other hand, there are those who love it or hate it depending on the Party doing it.

We (all of "we") have lost control of our spending. I am not a Keynesian but even he would have been shocked at how pols are and have been spending to buy votes for a long, long time - and totally lost any concept of fiscal responsibility. 

I wish I could offer a practical solution - but I can't.

I hope you're sitting down, for your safety.....

But THAT response deserves a kudo....or two if I could.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 135

Snoopy48 wrote:

CriticalThinking wrote:

I don't understand the logic behind the response from NH. He always blamed the Democrats for allowing 47% of Americans to pay no federal income tax. But now his beloved President is supporting a plan which will increase the number of Americans who pay no federal income tax by around 6 million. 

Maybe it isn't the Democrats who are allowing almost half of all Americans to pay no federal income tax?

Many of those 6 million who will no longer have to pay any federal income tax are in the top 10% who will no longer have to consider the Alternate Minimum Tax. Trump for example.

Not so.

The Senate was planning to eliminate AMT (as the House bill did), but a last-minute change means the AMT remains in the Senate bill. The threshold where AMT begins to kick in raises only slightly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/11/30/what-is-in-the-senates-massive-tax-bill-and-w...

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 135

CriticalThinking wrote:

The GOP tax plan will increase the number of Americans who pay NO federal income tax by approximately 6 MILLION PEOPLE.

NH asked, "Do you understand now?"

No, I'm not asking for your opinion of the Trump tax plan, which is a forgone conclusion. I'm asking if you will stop blaming Democrats for allowing almost half of all Americans to pay NO federal income tax.

Both liberal Democrats and liberal Republicans are responsible for the existing tax code where 47% pay no tax. I won't stop blaming Democrats or liberal Republicans because that's where the problem lies. I already told you that I think EVERYONE should pay some income tax for the reason that ALL would care how money is spent (squandered). I applaud Trump's tax cut despite the fact that more people will pay zero since he gives everyone a tax cut. Anything that is passed will be with NO Democrat support. Democrats hate tax cuts and love tax increases.

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 135

@mimi0000

Just started reading this catagory.

Very interesting and applicable to the tax cut. The only way that we could consider this to be reform is if we could send republican legislators to reform school for lying about what this tax cut is about.

As Bernie says this is going to be a very large redistribution of wealth, from lower and middle income groups to the top income group. 

But a name is really important and maybe this one has been used, but have not heard this used. Trickle down is not the correct term to use. We might start referring to the tax cuts as “trickle up”...money will not be coming down, it’s going to be going to the top. Those poor people with more money than they know what to do with...sad!

I still wish for a First Lady that does

not look like she wants to escape from the White House

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 135

CriticalThinking wrote:

I don't understand the logic behind the response from NH. He always blamed the Democrats for allowing 47% of Americans to pay no federal income tax. But now his beloved President is supporting a plan which will increase the number of Americans who pay no federal income tax by around 6 million. 

Maybe it isn't the Democrats who are allowing almost half of all Americans to pay no federal income tax?

Many of those 6 million who will no longer have to pay any federal income tax are in the top 10% who will no longer have to consider the Alternate Minimum Tax. Trump for example.

Trusted Social Butterfly

WHERE'S THE TRICKLE?

Message 9 of 135

The GOP tax plan will increase the number of Americans who pay NO federal income tax by approximately 6 MILLION PEOPLE.

NH asked, "Do you understand now?"

No, I'm not asking for your opinion of the Trump tax plan, which is a forgone conclusion. I'm asking if you will stop blaming Democrats for allowing almost half of all Americans to pay NO federal income tax.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 135

CriticalThinking wrote:

I'll repeat slowly.  I don't think Trump's plan is the best plan.  I like it because he lowers all people's taxes (including the ones that will now pay no tax). Getting more of your own money back is good - no? Democrats like high taxes on others. Republicans like low taxes. I like everyone paying some tax.

Do you understand now?