Latest Update on the Senate Health Care Bill — Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Watch Facebook Live

Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: Trey Gowdy questions James Comey

Message 21 of 42 (131 Views)

jimc91 wrote:
Comey: Obama White House, DOJ Could Have Unmasked Flynn Gowdy hammers FBI director for refusal to confirm probe into illegal leaks

by Brendan Kirby | Updated 20 Mar 2017 at 12:48 PM

FBI Director James Comey confirmed Monday that former Obama administration officials — including several at the White House — would have had access to classified information about former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn that several news organizations published.  Was there anybody who didn't know that the people at the White House had access to classified information?

Comey testified before the House Intelligence Committee that he was extremely concerned about illegal leaks of classified material but stopped short of confirming an active criminal investigation.

“It would be nice to know the universe of people who have the power to unmask a U.S. citizen, because that might provide something of a road map to investigate who actually might have disseminated and unmasked a U.S. citizen’s name.”

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) pressed Comey hard about leaks that revealed conversations between Flynn and Russian officials. President Donald Trump ultimately fired Flynn for misleading Vice President Mike Pence about those conversations.  The intelligence agencies being concerned about leaks is not news and is not surprising.

While Democrats on the committee pressed in vain for testimony linking Trump and his associates to collusion with Russian officials who U.S. intelligence agencies say tried to influence the 2016 election, Gowdy and other Republicans kept the focus on the only crime that has been identified so far — illegal dissemination of conversations recorded by intelligence authorities.

Comey said he could not comment about Flynn. But in general, he acknowledged, several top officials would have access to the information or could request it. That includes top Obama appointees at the Justice Department, former National Security Adviser Susan Rice, and others. Adm. Mike Rogers, director of the National Security Agency, testified that 20 people in his agency have the authority to “unmask” a U.S. citizen whose identity normally would be disguised.  Again, what is the magic revelation in this?

Comey testified that the number of officials at the FBI with that authority likely would be higher than that. But he said he did not know the exact number.

"It would be nice to know the universe of people who have the power to unmask a U.S. citizen, because that might provide something of a road map to investigate who actually might have disseminated and unmasked a U.S. citizen's name," Gowdy said.  As I said in an earlier post, I am sure the intelligence agencies figured out long ago how to investigate a leak.

Comey testified that, generally speaking, there was only way a reporter could print classified material he was unauthorized to have.

"Someone told them who shouldn't have told them," he said.  Shocking!  Stop the presses!

Gowdy said reporting the leaks could not aid in a criminal investigation because Comey, as head of the FBI, already would have the information. It also could not advance national security because any leaks appearing in the press would be information that Rogers already possessed, Gowdy said.

"We could rule out wanting to help the intelligence communities and the law enforcement communities," he said. "Those are two motives that are gone now. That leaves some more nefarious motives."  That was his opinion that Comey would not really comment on.

Comey said leaks of that nature are troubling and would be a "serious crime." But he declined to assure the American people that his agents would investigate.  He declined to comment on ALL active investigations.

Your link below is to a Laura Ingraham blog, not exactly an impartial observer.  Again, I would challenge your assessment that Gowdy's questions were "brilliant" when they were little more than a waste of time and common sense.

READ MORE HERE

Super Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 42 (134 Views)

sp362:  Why are you assuming I was OK with Flynn and the Russians from my comment?

Not assuming that at all, in fact, I think we're on the same page about this. Sorry I was unclear.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 42 (135 Views)

I see your point, Jim, how could anyone question anything Trump or his minions do. I am glad that no one ever did that to Obama!

It did seem that the Republicans were trying to cover up Trump's and his administration's illegal activities but they weren't being covert enough since anyone could readily see what they were trying to do. Maybe that is why the Republican committee heads can't get a hold of Trump when they need to, even after they resort to Twitter to get his attention.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 42 (139 Views)
Comey: Obama White House, DOJ Could Have Unmasked Flynn Gowdy hammers FBI director for refusal to confirm probe into illegal leaks

by Brendan Kirby | Updated 20 Mar 2017 at 12:48 PM

FBI Director James Comey confirmed Monday that former Obama administration officials — including several at the White House — would have had access to classified information about former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn that several news organizations published.

Comey testified before the House Intelligence Committee that he was extremely concerned about illegal leaks of classified material but stopped short of confirming an active criminal investigation.

“It would be nice to know the universe of people who have the power to unmask a U.S. citizen, because that might provide something of a road map to investigate who actually might have disseminated and unmasked a U.S. citizen’s name.”

Rep. Trey Gowdy (R-S.C.) pressed Comey hard about leaks that revealed conversations between Flynn and Russian officials. President Donald Trump ultimately fired Flynn for misleading Vice President Mike Pence about those conversations.

While Democrats on the committee pressed in vain for testimony linking Trump and his associates to collusion with Russian officials who U.S. intelligence agencies say tried to influence the 2016 election, Gowdy and other Republicans kept the focus on the only crime that has been identified so far — illegal dissemination of conversations recorded by intelligence authorities.

Comey said he could not comment about Flynn. But in general, he acknowledged, several top officials would have access to the information or could request it. That includes top Obama appointees at the Justice Department, former National Security Adviser Susan Rice, and others. Adm. Mike Rogers, director of the National Security Agency, testified that 20 people in his agency have the authority to “unmask” a U.S. citizen whose identity normally would be disguised.

Comey testified that the number of officials at the FBI with that authority likely would be higher than that. But he said he did not know the exact number.

"It would be nice to know the universe of people who have the power to unmask a U.S. citizen, because that might provide something of a road map to investigate who actually might have disseminated and unmasked a U.S. citizen's name," Gowdy said.

Comey testified that, generally speaking, there was only way a reporter could print classified material he was unauthorized to have.

"Someone told them who shouldn't have told them," he said.

Gowdy said reporting the leaks could not aid in a criminal investigation because Comey, as head of the FBI, already would have the information. It also could not advance national security because any leaks appearing in the press would be information that Rogers already possessed, Gowdy said.

"We could rule out wanting to help the intelligence communities and the law enforcement communities," he said. "Those are two motives that are gone now. That leaves some more nefarious motives."

Comey said leaks of that nature are troubling and would be a "serious crime." But he declined to assure the American people that his agents would investigate.

READ MORE HERE

VIMTSTL
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 42 (179 Views)

No one is a true Patriot who has accepted the things that Trump has done during his campaign and his first days in office while still supporting his endless lies.

Heil Trump !!!!!

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 42 (178 Views)

jimc91 wrote:

The SWAMP is getting nervous and will not go quietly into the night, they will need to be FIRED or do their job...

Did you mean to say 'they will need to be fired or lie for Trump' ????

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 42 (176 Views)

Saworld--lmaf! Good to end my night on a high note!! Thank you!!😹

politics, cats, kids, and dogs!!
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 42 (154 Views)

Panjandrum wrote:

sp362: Is that what you considered to be "brilliant" questions by Gowdy?  I am sure the intelligence agencies have been looking for the leaker(s) since the leak(s) and I am sure they are much better at figuring it out than Gowdy.

I keep waiting for a Republican to be more concerned that Michael Flynn was Trump's National Security Advisor sitting in on the most sensitive briefings while he was possibly colluding with the Russian government. So far all I'm hearing is outrage that he got busted. That's not exactly what I would call the behavior of Patriots.

Why are you assuming I was OK with Flynn and the Russians from my comment?

Super Social Butterfly

Message 29 of 42 (140 Views)

sp362: Is that what you considered to be "brilliant" questions by Gowdy?  I am sure the intelligence agencies have been looking for the leaker(s) since the leak(s) and I am sure they are much better at figuring it out than Gowdy.

I keep waiting for a Republican to be more concerned that Michael Flynn was Trump's National Security Advisor sitting in on the most sensitive briefings while he was possibly colluding with the Russian government. So far all I'm hearing is outrage that he got busted. That's not exactly what I would call the behavior of Patriots.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 30 of 42 (143 Views)

I thought he was going to see if Whoville would take him back!