Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Time for Franken to Go.

Message 21 of 29

Should he go? I'm not certain. I'm concerned about the lack of due process in some of these resignations and firings. (thinking wholistically here, not just about Franken --or any one in particular)

Sometimes the evidence is apparently quite compelling. Sometimes it appears to be less so. I'm concerned that we may be allowing liars to ruin lives, push people out of their jobs and out of office. If an accused wants to avoid headlines with the details while in office or a prominent job, then they can certainly opt to exit early in the process, however such a choice shouldn't be due to pressure from the people or party or news. Due process is important.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 29

It is a great disappointment to see this happen with Senator Franken. I do believe he has served the state of MN very well. However, sexual misconduct, or sexual harrassment, of any kind should not be tolerated for any reason, by any person, any time, any where, period. 

It is good to see democrats taking the lead on this issue. I'm glad that they called for resignations from Conyers, and now Franken.

But it is sad to see so many republicans bowing to political pressure to support an unworthy candidate for the sake of party. First it was Trump, and now it's Roy Moore. What a disgrace. 

Message 23 of 29

NerdyMom wrote:

I love love love Al Franken as a politician. I'm so sad and mad and disappointed.  I really don't get why it's so hard to keep your body to yourself, unless you have permission.  

I was hoping it could wait until after his ethics investigation had been completed.  But Gillibrand makes a good point.  All persons should be held accountable for their actions.  And his resignation would put his money where his mouth is, about actually believing the women.  

He has been a brilliant Senator, IMO.   Really smart and hard working.   But perhaps this resignation would be his greater contribution to the ultimate good of our society. 

Word is here in Minny that he'll resign tomorrow.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 24 of 29

It is sad to see someone who has done so much good for Minnesota and our country fall, but we must deal with the reality of the situation and do what is morally and politically right.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 29

I love love love Al Franken as a politician. I'm so sad and mad and disappointed.  I really don't get why it's so hard to keep your body to yourself, unless you have permission.  

I was hoping it could wait until after his ethics investigation had been completed.  But Gillibrand makes a good point.  All persons should be held accountable for their actions.  And his resignation would put his money where his mouth is, about actually believing the women.  

He has been a brilliant Senator, IMO.   Really smart and hard working.   But perhaps this resignation would be his greater contribution to the ultimate good of our society. 

Message 26 of 29

phyllisc6781 wrote:

@Centristsin2010—- You beat me to the punch on this one Centrist, but here are my thoughts on the subject. Two Democrats —Franken and Conyers-/ have been called out for sexual misconduct. Under pressure, Conyers yesterday said he would retire. Today Democratic senators are calling for Franken to resign. I have no trouble with this as bad behavior deserves punishment.

Compare this, however, to how Republicans handle sexual predators within their party and propaganda satellites.

The idiot is elected, Roy Moore is endorsed by the sexual predator of the United States, and alt. right and propaganda spewing conservatives all over decry the firing of Billo the clown O’Reilly, and Aiels. Stark difference there, don’t you think? 

Agreed 100%  After seeing their attempts at healthcare "reform" and the tax bill, as well as the constant denials of Adolf Twitler and Roy "I will lie" Moore, the GOP has lost any claim to the moral high ground and "family values".

VOTE IN 2018!!! 

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 27 of 29

Klobuchar, Franken among most productive senators for number of bills passed

WASHINGTON -- Democratic Sens. Amy Klobuchar and Al Franken both ranked in the top 10 most productive senators on Capitol Hill for the number of bills passed and sent to the president's desk, according to legislative data from GovTrack.

Klobuchar ranked No. 1, authoring 27 bills that were sent to President Obama's desk in the last term. Franken ranked No. 6 with 22 bills, according to data compiled this week.

There are many yardsticks to measure politician productivity and whether they are good at their jobs. For example, the GovTrack data found those members in top leadership posts -- outgoing Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid and Majority Leader Mitch McConnell included -- often have the lowest number of bills to head to the president's desk but they likely spend more time carving out respective party agendas.. Other senators, like Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, are more firebrand and use the senate pulpit to advance causes -- even if they are long-shot like campaign finance reform.

Klobuchar said on Thursday: "While it hasn't been the easiest year to bring people together -- OK, that's an understatement -- I have gotten to know the people I work with and always look for common ground when I can find it."

Franken said the rankings were a great example of how the two senators work together.

"Each and every day, I wake up and fight on behalf of Minnesota and I know Amy does too," he posted on Facebook. "We're proud to represent this great state."

Klobuchar, Franken among most productive senators for number of bills passed

I'm saddened by what we are learning about the actions of Senator Franken before and after his election to the Senate.  Today, another woman put forth another accusation.  He was an excellent Senator, but sadly, a less quality person than many believed. It is nice to see his fellow Dems, standing up against their colleague.  This is what I expect from our good, quality leaders.  Sadly, it's not what we see across the aisle as they continue to claim all the women are liars.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 28 of 29

@Centristsin2010—- You beat me to the punch on this one Centrist, but here are my thoughts on the subject. Two Democrats —Franken and Conyers-/ have been called out for sexual misconduct. Under pressure, Conyers yesterday said he would retire. Today Democratic senators are calling for Franken to resign. I have no trouble with this as bad behavior deserves punishment.

Compare this, however, to how Republicans handle sexual predators within their party and propaganda satellites.

The idiot is elected, Roy Moore is endorsed by the sexual predator of the United States, and alt. right and propaganda spewing conservatives all over decry the firing of Billo the clown O’Reilly, and Aiels. Stark difference there, don’t you think? 

Time for Franken to Go.

Message 29 of 29

Democratic senators to Al Franken: Resign

Ten Democratic senators -- seven female and three male -- called on Sen. Al Franken to resign Wednesday, marking the first time any senator has called on the Minnesota Democrat to leave office as allegations of sexual harassment against him continue to mount.

In a statement on Facebook, New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand wrote: "While Senator Franken is entitled to have the Ethics Committee conclude its review, I believe it would be better for our country if he sent a clear message that any kind of mistreatment of women in our society isn't acceptable by stepping aside to let someone else serve." 

Sens. Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Patty Murray of Washington, Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire, Kamala Harris of California, Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin and Mazie Hirono of Hawaii also joined in the call for Franken to resign. He has been accused of inappropriately touching several women.

Sen. Bob Casey of Pennsylvania was the first male Democratic senator to call on Franken to resign just after noon Wednesday. Sen. Joe Donnelly of Indiana and Sherrod Brown also called for Franken to step down.