Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Time for Franken to Go.

Message 1 of 29

GailL1 wrote:

MaVolta wrote:

. I'm glad that they called for resignations from Conyers, and now Franken.

What's his punishment?  They have lost nothing -'still get their sweet pension, in addition to whatever SS benefits they have accumulated,  health care benefits, probably LTC coverage and whatever the other perks.

Wonder if they even have to go on Medicare or if so, pay the IRMAA, if their income warrants it and probably does.

Think Conyers is even gonna pay back the government for the ethics pay off(s) that was/were done for him?

Now he wants a member of his family to take his place ???

Could be father like son - 

They should be banished without any perks.  We should never hear of or from them again - well maybe a notice of expiration.

If times are a'changin, then maybe women will come forth right then and there so that criminal charges can be brought against them or they are fired or at least disgraced - this waiting 10,20,30,40 years to complain is for the birds.  Taking a deal to keep their mouth shut is a disgrace to their gender.

If you ever wonder why female equality has been a long time coming, it is because we have taken it for too long for fear of losing something.

But ya know what ladies - we aren't all the same and some women will play the game.  So perhaps it is time to clear the air up front so that every thing is clear from the get go.  

Are you now calling for President Trump to resign as we have him admitting to doing all sorts of things to women. Are you telling all in AL not to vote for Roy Moore due to what he did. If you are fine post away. If not you can not pick and choose who you post about on a subject like this What Trump and Mpore did was far worse than Franken.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 29

phyllisc6781 wrote:

@NerdyMom—Wonder when trump  and Moore  will man up, and have the grace to step down?

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Couldn't happen. They'd have to become "men" first.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 3 of 29

@NerdyMom—Wonder when trump  and Moore  will man up, and have the grace to step down?

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 29

Rumor has it that Congressman Trent Franks from **bleep** is about to resign.   How quickly they fall....

Message 5 of 29

Epster wrote:

@phyllisc6781  People do lie about such things. I'm not interested in giving Franken (or any of the accused) a pass. I'm concerned about due process.

I am aware of a few situations where woman have lied about it.  One situation where they didn't get a promotion they felt was deserved and at least two where a male didn't entertain their romantic advances. It happens....

"Hell hath no fury like....."

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 6 of 29

@GailL1 wrote:

MaVolta wrote:

What's his punishment?  They have lost nothing -'still get their sweet pension, in addition to whatever SS benefits they have accumulated,  health care benefits, probably LTC coverage and whatever the other perks.

Wonder if they even have to go on Medicare or if so, pay the IRMAA, if their income warrants it and probably does.

Think Conyers is even gonna pay back the government for the ethics pay off(s) that was/were done for him?

They should be banished without any perks.  We should never hear of or from them again - well maybe a notice of expiration.

If times are a'changin, then maybe women will come forth right then and there so that criminal charges can be brought against them or they are fired or at least disgraced - this waiting 10,20,30,40 years to complain is for the birds.  Taking a deal to keep their mouth shut is a disgrace to their gender.

If you ever wonder why female equality has been a long time coming, it is because we have taken it for too long for fear of losing something.

But ya know what ladies - we aren't all the same and some women will play the game.  So perhaps it is time to clear the air up front so that every thing is clear from the get go.  

So what do you think about Moore?  Continue full steam ahead or step aside?

You asked about punishment....was he charged with any crime?  I don't think so.  Sometimes, a tarnished reputation is the most "punishment" someone receives.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 29

A policy to take away perks for wrongdoing would be great a policy and it might deter some improper behavior.

As GalL said, “But ya know what ladies - we aren't all the same and some women will play the game.”  
Yes, and when a person, female or male, exchanges sexual favors for any kind of benefit that’s prostitution.
I’m irked by those who played along for years and then suddenly claim non-compliance.

Message 8 of 29
Not making excuses, but i believe conyers paid his own. If he didn't, im mistaken.

The slush fund should have never been set up. I didnt have one when i was a boss, I was told if i got charged i was on my own and would be reimbursed if found innocent.
So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 29

GailL1 wrote:

MaVolta wrote:

Supposedly, the Ethics Committee is looking in to the slush fund and those who used taxpayer money to silence their victims. In my opinion, their names should be made public, they should be forced to resign, and repay every penny of taxpayer money. If they do not resign, then voters should show no tolerance and vote them out office, and I don't care what initial they put after their name. It's a disgrace, and this should not be a partisan issue.

As for punishment, the Congress is self-governing body. They make their own rules, conduct their own investigations, and make those decisions whether they be just or unjust. It is up to voters to hold them accountable.

For too long, women's voices have been silenced, whether out of fear, or humiliation, or retribution, or because of what we have seen happen to the women who did come forward. The victim comes forward only to be victimized yet again. There are no witnesses, so it's her word against his. Then you get the typical reaction, "It had to be her fault, she must have encouraged this behavior." Or, "she must be lying to get back at her boss." 

Enough! Women must find the courage to fight back. We cannot continue to be victims any longer.

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 10 of 29

@Epster—I agree about due process. Cent says he will resign tomorrow. I feel bad because unlike trump, Moore, and other very blatant predators, Franken owned it.  The pattern of behavior with regard to those who have come forward is also problematic.

Let us hope, as another poster said, that this is both a warning and a wake up call to anyone who feels he or he has the right to violate another. 

I appreciate your input.