Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Time for Franken to Go.

Message 11 of 29

phyllisc6781 wrote:

@Epster- I know people lie I get that! Here there is a pattern and  Franken has admitted to many—although not all of the charges.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

@phyllisc6781  If he elects to resign, so be it. (And ya know good riddance, but still I lean heavily toward due process rather than the court of public opinion.)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Gold Conversationalist

Message 12 of 29

@Epster—Hello Republican!! Franken’s actions and his admissions mean he has to go.  

Gold Conversationalist

Message 13 of 29

@Epster- I know people lie I get that! Here there is a pattern and  Franken has admitted to many—although not all of the charges.

Message 14 of 29

@phyllisc6781 PS I'm a Republican. Franken hasn't been particularly popular with me for a long time.  Smiley Happy 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 29

People want one of the most effective Democrats to leave the Senate because somebody SAYS heTRIED to kiss her once a dozen years ago???? Meanwhile the child raping Alabama Republican will join his estemed wussygrabbers and we'll all be better off HOW?

For a couple decades now Republicans have focused a lazer on any misstep by a Progressive in the media or politics and most of the time they succeed in stilling that voice of reason while the clowns at Fox get promotions for lying more outrageously.

ENOUGH! This is not a Sundayschool picnic, it's WAR for the future of America, and taking this much of a "moral highroad" will gain us NOTHING simply because the other side could care less what their vassels in Congress do so long as they vote the dogma.

Message 16 of 29

phyllisc6781 wrote:

@Epster— When a woman comes forward and tells the world that she has been molested or worse, and especially if there is no monetary gain to be made from it, we must believe her. I and many others have been in this position,  and no one – – no one—makes these claims without cause.

We cannot just give Franken a pass because he is popular. We must treat all sexual predators the same, regardless of sexual  orientation, or societal standing. To do so, would be to put ourselves in the same immoral category in which the Republicans at this point in time have put themselves. 

@phyllisc6781  People do lie about such things. I'm not interested in giving Franken (or any of the accused) a pass. I'm concerned about due process.

I'm not saying we should tear into the accuser as has been the norm. I'm saying if an accused believes they have been wrongly accused, I don't think he or she should be pushed out of office or job before guilt is legally established. 

The accused are certainly free to decide to resign voluntarily. (This looks like guilt, but, hey, go for it!)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 29

MaVolta wrote:

. I'm glad that they called for resignations from Conyers, and now Franken.

What's his punishment?  They have lost nothing -'still get their sweet pension, in addition to whatever SS benefits they have accumulated,  health care benefits, probably LTC coverage and whatever the other perks.

Wonder if they even have to go on Medicare or if so, pay the IRMAA, if their income warrants it and probably does.

Think Conyers is even gonna pay back the government for the ethics pay off(s) that was/were done for him?

Now he wants a member of his family to take his place ???

Could be father like son - 

They should be banished without any perks.  We should never hear of or from them again - well maybe a notice of expiration.

If times are a'changin, then maybe women will come forth right then and there so that criminal charges can be brought against them or they are fired or at least disgraced - this waiting 10,20,30,40 years to complain is for the birds.  Taking a deal to keep their mouth shut is a disgrace to their gender.

If you ever wonder why female equality has been a long time coming, it is because we have taken it for too long for fear of losing something.

But ya know what ladies - we aren't all the same and some women will play the game.  So perhaps it is time to clear the air up front so that every thing is clear from the get go.  

Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist

Message 18 of 29

@Epster— When a woman comes forward and tells the world that she has been molested or worse, and especially if there is no monetary gain to be made from it, we must believe her. I and many others have been in this position,  and no one – – no one—makes these claims without cause.

We cannot just give Franken a pass because he is popular. We must treat all sexual predators the same, regardless of sexual  orientation, or societal standing. To do so, would be to put ourselves in the same immoral category in which the Republicans at this point in time have put themselves. 

Message 19 of 29

Richva wrote:

Sadly, I also think it is time for him to go.  He was an excellent Senator but times, they are a changin'

Good point.  Good in yesterday's world; not acceptable today.

In honor of Al Franken......

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 20 of 29

Sadly, I also think it is time for him to go.  He was an excellent Senator but times, they are a changin'