Pat Summitt, Women’s Basketball Legend and Alzheimer’s Advocate, Dies at 64. More »

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: The rise of the political ultra wealthy

Message 1 of 274 (94 Views)

Sadly we're going to have to wait until we get rid of the Fascist Five on SCOTUS. Gruppenfueher Robers has no problem ignoring 200 years of precedent to give a huge advantage to his Uberrich owners and have the audacity to call it defending free speech.

Hopefully, Indies will realize what happens when they elect Republican Presidents who then get to fill vacancies on SCOTUS.... and never do that again.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 274 (109 Views)

You have on many previous occasions portrayed Smith as a libertarian caricature

Not so - possibly you can give at least one example to back-up your "many".

You think Smith's story about the coat makes the same point as Read's "I, Pencil."

Yes, I do. However, if you do not agree I'd be glad to exchange views if you will offer something more than "you're not informed". That is a truly intellectually light-weight response.

You are a libertarian

Not so, I don't fit neatly in a box. As I have posted, I have learned from Rothbard, Rand, Alinsky, Marx, Goldwater and everybody in between. I sorta have my own unique box.

Finally, to put a restriction on a poster that he has to pass some sort of test to prove he has read in toto a 900 plus page tome written in 18th century prose in order to qualify for a discussion with you seems like an indication of one not too sure of her position.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 274 (118 Views)

cat2011 wrote:

Rk, I'm interested in discussing the topic with someone who is interested and informed. I've seen no indication that you are either. You think Smith's story about the coat makes the same point as Read's "I, Pencil." You are a libertarian. You have on many previous occasions portrayed Smith as a libertarian caricature.

Your views on a subject you aren't informed about are not interesting to me. I do not find butting heads interesting.

So stop respojnding to him. Each absurd one liner just clogs up actual discussion boards and hides actual information being exchanged.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 274 (124 Views)

I've come to the same conclusion as Scout, rk.

You don't show any interest in discussing Smith's economic theories. Your interest is in discussing someone else's slant on those theories. That's why you refuse to read "Wealth of Nations."

Lack of interest.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 274 (213 Views)

Rk, I'm interested in discussing the topic with someone who is interested and informed. I've seen no indication that you are either. You think Smith's story about the coat makes the same point as Read's "I, Pencil." You are a libertarian. You have on many previous occasions portrayed Smith as a libertarian caricature.

Your views on a subject you aren't informed about are not interesting to me. I do not find butting heads interesting.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 274 (215 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

I do not think that limiting what corporations and the elites can spend politically is "stifling" their freedom of speech. Giving corporations the right to spend as much as they want undisclosed on commercials in our elections gives them a much louder voice than any of us can have. It's wrong.

Fact is, for about 200 years, the SCOTUS agreed with you and most Americans on this issue. It is only the Fascist Five who have decided that money equals speech and restricting one restricts the other.

This is just another reason we can NEVER allow another Republican President.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 274 (221 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:
I do not think that limiting what corporations and the elites can spend politically is "stifling" their freedom of speech. Giving corporations the right to spend as much as they want undisclosed on commercials in our elections gives them a much louder voice than any of us can have. It's wrong.

ChasKy53,

And just who are the "elites?"  Is there some dollar value associated with joining the "elites" ranks that then prohibits you from spending on political speech as you want?  

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 274 (227 Views)

krlklar wrote:

OS that might help, but probably wouldn't pass the free speech hurdle. You would think the lawyers in Congress could come up with limits that would pass the constitutional barriers, but most are more interested in getting or keeping their seats!

Karl

That would be true, were not all those "lawyers" dedicated to defending the status quo.

Topics: 13
Kudos: 932

Message 9 of 274 (229 Views)

OS that might help, but probably wouldn't pass the free speech hurdle. You would think the lawyers in Congress could come up with limits that would pass the constitutional barriers, but most are more interested in getting or keeping their seats!

Karl

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 274 (232 Views)

cat - suggest you take the hint: rk is not interest in actually discussing anything with anyone

scout - I am tempted to make a comment about your reading comprehension but in fear of reprimand, I won't. I'll will, however, suggest that you read the post you are commenting on - the one where I expressed an interest in discussing an issue, not doing a book report.

So, try rereading the post and then recommenting.