Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Re: The Good that Police Do.

Message 21 of 33

alferdpacker wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

Exactly.   As my favorite police chief says, you recruit the ethical and empathetic.  You can train them to be good police, but you can't train them to be good people. 

So what do your contacts say, or you say, is the solution to the problem police departments face to rid themselves and our community's of the "bad people"?  I understand that yesterday you said it was difficult, especially when there is "bad people" in leadership positions, but don't we need more heroic men and women behind the front doors?

So - shouldn't there be a way created for evidence of the crimes committed by "bad" cops to be able to be given anonymously to independent investigators and independent prosecutors to determine what laws and professional standards have been violated?

While the law allows the accused to face his/her accuser - does that term include an individual who has awareness of an occurrence - and anonymously presents information that may be evidence of a crime committed to appropriate authorities, and asks the authorities to determine whether there was in fact a crime committed and whether charges should be preferred?

Cops who "blow the whistle on "bad" cops need the protection of anonymity and a law enforcement specific whistle blower law - and have needed that protection for many decades now...

We need to provide more support for good cops to continue to do good...

That does happen around here, in personnel actions.   It would be a means to removing the bad cop from service.  Not necessarily a criminal conviction. 

I believe all the surrounding jurisdictions here in the National Capital region refer investigations of serious crimes by police to a neighboring jurisdiction for investigation and prosecution, so that the process is more objective.  I realize that's not perfect.   

Report Inappropriate Content

Message 22 of 33

Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

Exactly.   As my favorite police chief says, you recruit the ethical and empathetic.  You can train them to be good police, but you can't train them to be good people. 

So what do your contacts say, or you say, is the solution to the problem police departments face to rid themselves and our community's of the "bad people"?  I understand that yesterday you said it was difficult, especially when there is "bad people" in leadership positions, but don't we need more heroic men and women behind the front doors?

From the President of the Major Cities Chiefs Association, who happens to be local:

"Police officers today are courageous and professional. We are better at hiring the right people in the first place, investing in their training throughout their career and holding them accountable for their actions. I’m proud of my officers. They risk their lives every day to keep the public safe. They feel a keen sense of responsibility to keep everyone safe, and that includes the people we arrest."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/im-a-police-chief-trumps-speech-made-the-polices-job-harder/...

The bad cops are less likely to be so bad if they know they will get fired, right?  But they have to "know" they will get fired.... 

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 33

Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

So - shouldn't there be a way created for evidence of the crimes committed by "bad" cops to be able to be given anonymously to independent investigators and independent prosecutors to determine what laws and professional standards have been violated?

While the law allows the accused to face his/her accuser - does that term include an individual who has awareness of an occurrence - and anonymously presents information that may be - but has not yet been determined to be - evidence of a crime committed to appropriate authorities, and asks the authorities to determine whether there was in fact a crime committed and whether charges should be preferred?

Cops who "blow the whistle on "bad" cops need the protection of anonymity and a law enforcement specific whistle blower law - and have needed that protection for many decades now...

We need to provide more support for good cops to continue to do good...

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning

Message 24 of 33

@NerdyMom wrote:

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 25 of 33

Like this.  New Zealand got it right.   Today's modern police force is about community policing.  Caring about the community. 

Do you care enough to be a cop?

Message 26 of 33

WebWiseWoman wrote:

And this brings up what I've lived for 20 years and finally a CEO I actually respected stated in public call (company included in "Most Ethical Companies for 13+ years while I was there): "If you see a piece of paper on the floor, do you pick it up..." (not company secrets paper, just paper, scrap paper, paper-towell paper)...

For me, one and the same; but that's mho...

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 33

And this brings up what I've lived for 20 years and finally a CEO I actually respected stated in public call (company included in "Most Ethical Companies for 13+ years while I was there): "If you see a piece of paper on the floor, do you pick it up..." (not company secrets paper, just paper, scrap paper, paper-towell paper)...

For me, one and the same; but that's mho...

#VegasStrong

Strength and love to Ventura and Southern Cali fire evacuees; stay strong!

Come to Vegas to await the recovery; be remote or telecommute as we don't have jobs here; my apology.

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”

Message 28 of 33

NerdyMom wrote:

Having worked with various police departments throughout my career, I think it's not very easy for a lone, or a few, good police to bring down a bad system.  Accountability has to be a primary part of the department's culture, and that starts from the top.   Look to the chief.  Got a good one?  The department will be good. 

Good points; all of them.  I wouldn't think it would be easy but it would depend on how pervasive the behavior is throughout the Dept.  Being a "hero" isn't easy either.  One might expect it would be a small minority of officers that were "bad", especially given the number of posts suggesting such.  But the unions, lawyers, government, media, etc, and the vast number of good cops should be able to stand up to the very few bad cops, regardless of the chief.  Do we really have to wait for another video to come out, another suspect or cop beaten or killed and the city sued many more times?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 29 of 33

@NerdyMom—On behalf of my beautiful police officer daughter, her wonderful police officer husband, both of whom have risked their own lives to help others,  and wonderful upstanding officers everywhere, you have my most heart felt thanks.

@Centristsin2010—An ethical officer never allows crime to occur under his or her nose.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Message 30 of 33

Having worked with various police departments throughout my career, I think it's not very easy for a lone, or a few, good police to bring down a bad system.  Accountability has to be a primary part of the department's culture, and that starts from the top.   Look to the chief.  Got a good one?  The department will be good.