Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: The Good that Police Do.

Message 11 of 33

Yes i agree , when a Police Officer ( I misspoke " policemen " earlier - my apologies to the extremely brave female officers ) turns in a corrupt officer , that too is a heroic act. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Gold Conversationalist

Message 12 of 33

@Centristsin2010—Still laughing—mostly because your post is SOO true!

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 33

phyllisc6781 wrote:

@Centristsin2010–RE: “cat” took awhile for him to catch on didn’t it??

Some go with, "you can't fix stupid", but this works just as well if not better for "those" who made the asinine claim:

Not Stupid. Bad Luck. Ha!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 14 of 33

@Centristsin2010–RE: “cat” took awhile for him to catch on didn’t it??

Message 15 of 33

phyllisc6781 wrote:

@Centristsin2010–I agree with much of what you have said, But, although I believe many understand the points you have made—myself amongst them, it is all too easy for some  to forgot those who uphold their vows with regard to police work. Nothing “holier than thou” about that, just dangerous when those “some” forget.

With regard to respect—You do and will always have my utmost respect. 

Thank you, Cat....LOL!  Smiley Wink  I'll just leave the rest as is as I think anyone who "forgets" does so for their own reasons.  I'll never forget and never have.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 16 of 33

@Centristsin2010–I agree with much of what you have said, But, although I believe many understand the points you have made—myself amongst them, it is all too easy for some  to forgot those who uphold their vows with regard to police work. Nothing “holier than thou” about that, just dangerous when those “some” forget.

With regard to respect—You do and will always have my utmost respect. 

Message 17 of 33

phyllisc6781 wrote:

I do understand your position, Cent—more than once I have gotten a call from my officer daughter, distraught over police corruption—I get it, but we mustn’t forget all the good.  Phyllis....I don't think many, if ANY, forget the good police; it's expected.....just like good teachers, just like good CongressCritters and good Presidents, Democrat AND Republican, just like there are good Hollywood producers, good Hollywood actors, good ball players, etc.  Here's the difference though.....when these folks do "bad" things, people don't die, or get beaten to a pulp and no one is held accountable.  THAT'S the problem!

The women today addressed in Time Magazine's People of the Year have far more courage than cops who turn their heads to the bad behavior from "some" cops after watching an unnecessary beating AND, they are NOT getting paid to do the "right thing", the heroic thing.  Good, heroic cops usually get the recognition they deserve, by their bosses, their peers, the media and their communities; no one forgets them.  But how many cops know of bad cops and don't do a THING!!! I suspect it's far too many....

The racist jerk Mark Furman...how many cops knew about his excessive beatings, especially of minorities all while demeaning female cops?  Hundreds?  An egotistical murderer got away with murder x2 because of "bad cops".  Reginald Denny got beaten to near death because of "bad cops" and all he did was try to get through an intersection, by God.  How many blacks were killed by racist cops in the south and other cops knew about it?  How about the two white civil rights workers in Alabama.  So please, aren't we passed the cops are "holier than thou" point?  THEY KNOW WHO THE BAD, and/or racist cops are.  Time to rid our communities of them.  AND, if a cop knows of bad cops and doesn't do a thing about it, they should be arrested for being an accessory to whatever crimes the bad cops commit, whether it's planting evidence, assault, or whatever.  NO ONE on this forum has posted or suggested that all cops are bad.

We must not because to demean the police is to demean their integrity and weaken their position in the public arena, which endangers the officers and the very people they are sworn to protect.  NO ONE demeans the police, they demean the bad police and those who protect them!

I honor you for raising a wonderful young lady who serves her community as well as her husband; I think about them often and wish they were ALL like them.  But let's not protect the bad ones by letting the good one's off the hook from their responsibility to do the right thing; they are just as much culpable.  One bad apple can spoil the whole bunch....at least perspective wise, so why enable it?  Is it any wonder that in some communities kids grow up distrusting and hating cops?  What do you think the little girl watching the two white cops beating a young black man up in the streets of Euclid Ohio think about the police; that they're hero's?  Hardly.  IMO, we need to pressure ALL police, yes ALL of them to purge their ranks of racist cops, those who plant evidence or abuse their authority.  GOOD cops would do this and, since we are assuming most cops are good, it shouldn't be a big issue as there is strength in numbers.  Right?

This crap has been going on for decades?  Why?  Abuse of authority IMO.  And with cell phones and body and dash board cameras we are seeing just how frequently those lying criminals just weren't lying as much as cops claimed.

Evansville, Ind., cops caught beating a handcuffed man, then lying about it. They won’t face charges...

OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.  My apologies if I offended anyone, especially you and NerdyMom, I have much respect for both of you, but we have to quit minimizing this issue or it will never end.  Bad cops should never be protected by fellow cops OR the police union.

Message 18 of 33

NerdyMom wrote:

alferdpacker wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

Exactly.   As my favorite police chief says, you recruit the ethical and empathetic.  You can train them to be good police, but you can't train them to be good people. 

So what do your contacts say, or you say, is the solution to the problem police departments face to rid themselves and our community's of the "bad people"?  I understand that yesterday you said it was difficult, especially when there is "bad people" in leadership positions, but don't we need more heroic men and women behind the front doors?

So - shouldn't there be a way created for evidence of the crimes committed by "bad" cops to be able to be given anonymously to independent investigators and independent prosecutors to determine what laws and professional standards have been violated?

While the law allows the accused to face his/her accuser - does that term include an individual who has awareness of an occurrence - and anonymously presents information that may be evidence of a crime committed to appropriate authorities, and asks the authorities to determine whether there was in fact a crime committed and whether charges should be preferred?

Cops who "blow the whistle on "bad" cops need the protection of anonymity and a law enforcement specific whistle blower law - and have needed that protection for many decades now...

We need to provide more support for good cops to continue to do good...

That does happen around here, in personnel actions.   It would be a means to removing the bad cop from service.  Not necessarily a criminal conviction. 

I believe all the surrounding jurisdictions here in the National Capital region refer investigations of serious crimes by police to a neighboring jurisdiction for investigation and prosecution, so that the process is more objective.  I realize that's not perfect.   

A person who has been found by a court to have not paid court ordered child support looses their driver's license and most other professional licenses - such as the right to practice medicine - to mention just one such license - in all fifty states.

All fifty states report DUI convictions to the driver's home state - and that out of state DUI conviction counts in the home state against retaining one's driver's license.

An identical - or greater - level of reciprocity regarding information regarding a law officer's having their state law certification suspended/revoked and record of disciplinary actions and terminations for cause need to be in a nationwide database - so that prospective employers in another jurisdiction and/or state know everything about the law enforcement officer they are considering hiring - after all - a "bad" cop could ruin the department's reputation - and profoundly damage the department's ability to attract good cops for many years to come....

Just think - if "bad" cops knew that they would not only face the probability of being fired - but would have considerably reduced chances of an equal level of employment elsewhere...

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning

Message 19 of 33

NerdyMom wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

Exactly.   As my favorite police chief says, you recruit the ethical and empathetic.  You can train them to be good police, but you can't train them to be good people. 

So what do your contacts say, or you say, is the solution to the problem police departments face to rid themselves and our community's of the "bad people"?  I understand that yesterday you said it was difficult, especially when there is "bad people" in leadership positions, but don't we need more heroic men and women behind the front doors?

From the President of the Major Cities Chiefs Association, who happens to be local:

"Police officers today are courageous and professional. We are better at hiring the right people in the first place, investing in their training throughout their career and holding them accountable for their actions. I’m proud of my officers. They risk their lives every day to keep the public safe. They feel a keen sense of responsibility to keep everyone safe, and that includes the people we arrest."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/im-a-police-chief-trumps-speech-made-the-polices-job-harder/...

The bad cops are less likely to be so bad if they know they will get fired, right?  But they have to "know" they will get fired.... 

Again, I agree.  But it doesn't address the problem that has existed for decades.  Cops have always known they would be fired for illegal behavior, haven't they?  Seems to me cops can solve the problem if they REALLY wanted to....there's a lack of effort and it seems like more talk than anything else.  Don't get me wrong....I'm not saying all PD's are the same and big city PD's aren't the same as small PD's in rural area's, but the problems exist in many, not all PD's.  IMO, many, if not most cops, enable the behavior.  The Rodney King beating is an excellent, though dated example.  What good cop was going to stand-up against the LAPD Chief?  IMO, there needs to be a significant financial reward for cops to do the right thing.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 20 of 33

I would Ike to see stats comparing the deeds of the bad cops compared to the good cops.  I would guess that honorable officers would win out by a very wide margin.

The problem is that, just like any tragedy, we hear far more often hear about the bad, often forgetting that the positive things police do, often go unnoticed.

The other day, NBC did a piece on a young officer who came upon a young pregnant women using heavy drugs. With her blessing, he and his wife adopted the drug addicted infant, while embracing and supporting the birth mother.

I didn’t hear anyone talking about this!

I do understand your position, Cent—more than once I have gotten a call from my officer daughter, distraught over police corruption—I get it, but we mustn’t forget all the good.  We must not because to demean the police is to demean their integrity and weaken their position in the public arena, which endangers the officers and the very people they are sworn to protect.