Tune into AARP’s Facebook Live Résumé Q&A Wednesday, 4 p.m. EDT | Facebook.com/AARP

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE COUNTDOWN....

Message 1 of 16 (82 Views)

I'm just North of Nashville and will get very close to the full effect of the eclipse. I remember seeing this when I was young, but watched in a box with the pinhole in it. We also used smoked glass. I have NASA approved eye-wear his time

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Is this year your best chance?

Message 2 of 16 (110 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Beautiful Perseid show tonight....

I didnt check them out this year, but i have been a lifelong fan and have spent more than a few night watching. When my kids were small, we watched the from a beach on Lake Superior..with the northern lights.

So it begins.
Regular Social Butterfly

Re: TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE COUNTDOWN....

Message 3 of 16 (115 Views)

It's going to be cloudy here.  I am so beyond bummed.   I will still try to see it with my NASA-approved solar glasses though.   

Totally nerding out all day tomorrow.  All sorts of activities planned.   lol. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 16 (118 Views)

And for those interested in the weather forcast for tomorrow.....

Solar Eclipse Weather Forecast: Will Clouds Block Your View?

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 5 of 16 (130 Views)

The countdown continues......

TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE COUNTDOWN....

1495871401_10095201+1eclipsenew052817.jpg

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 16 (1,953 Views)

Beautiful Perseid show tonight....

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 16 (3,235 Views)

Olderscout66 wrote:

JanisJasper wrote:

We live in Illinois, so we have been preparing for this for over a year.  We made a trip to southern Illinois one of our 2017 vacations and will be in Carbondale on Aug. 21.  We made our hotel reservations months ago.  Hoping for clear skies - thank you for including the article on the likelihood of cloudiness in each area (we are in one of the best areas), but we are prepared to drive to wherever we will be able to watch.  With any luck, we might go back to the same area to watch the eclipse in 2024. 

We hope you'll have cloudless skys and balmy temperatures! Actually, this may have something to do with us going to visit our daughter who lives in Carbondale on the 21st. Cheers! and avoid the crazy people on the road. Rumor has it they'll be plentiful.

There WILL be a lot of crazies out on the road.  Be careful out there.

Also, if your going to view the eclipse, be sure to get the glasses.....

These 5 companies make eclipse glasses certified as safe. Here’s where you can find them.

Message 8 of 16 (3,238 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

@s925894b wrote:

We will be watching the eclipse at our home out of town in the wide open spaces Torrington, Wyoming...our small town is ready with campgrounds, food vendors, BBQ's, bands, entertainment and cowboy hospitality!!! 

Welcome to the forum, SB.  Hope to see your posts often here.

That sounds like a blast....I hope the clouds stay away for ya!  Happy viewing.

We hope to find a rural area in Nebraska to catch the show....good weather willing.

Come back and see us again....and let us know about the show.

Oops, forgot to mention a couple of items....

One, you might enjoy this, Stargaze

And this update to the Washington Post presentation....pretty cool journalism....

Travel the path of the solar eclipse

And don't forget the Perseid Show tomorrow and Sunday night, should be a good one.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 16 (3,247 Views)

JanisJasper wrote:

We live in Illinois, so we have been preparing for this for over a year.  We made a trip to southern Illinois one of our 2017 vacations and will be in Carbondale on Aug. 21.  We made our hotel reservations months ago.  Hoping for clear skies - thank you for including the article on the likelihood of cloudiness in each area (we are in one of the best areas), but we are prepared to drive to wherever we will be able to watch.  With any luck, we might go back to the same area to watch the eclipse in 2024. 

We hope you'll have cloudless skys and balmy temperatures! Actually, this may have something to do with us going to visit our daughter who lives in Carbondale on the 21st. Cheers! and avoid the crazy people on the road. Rumor has it they'll be plentiful.

Message 10 of 16 (3,256 Views)

@s925894b wrote:

We will be watching the eclipse at our home out of town in the wide open spaces Torrington, Wyoming...our small town is ready with campgrounds, food vendors, BBQ's, bands, entertainment and cowboy hospitality!!! 

Welcome to the forum, SB.  Hope to see your posts often here.

That sounds like a blast....I hope the clouds stay away for ya!  Happy viewing.

We hope to find a rural area in Nebraska to catch the show....good weather willing.

Come back and see us again....and let us know about the show.