How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: TEXAS PARADOX MAY LEAD TO WOMAN'S DEPORTATION

Message 51 of 68 (66 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

Let me assure you, my posts as relates to TEXAS is solely because of the plethora of news stories that emanate from that state relating to infringement of the civil rights of protected groups.

--

Of course that's the reason.  But of course there isn't that many news stories out there compared to other states.  The history of these type posts should show started after my objections to the treatment of the Palestinian people by the Isrealis.

And I note that the reason these type topics are continued to be posted have been noted by others here on the forum.  And it's not that Texas has that many more incidents than other states.

As far as Ms Ortego, the investigation didn't start until after she moved to Tarrant County from Dallas.  She made a comment to an election clerk in Tarrant after she marked here application that she wasn't a citizen, then after rejection tried to change it.  Doubtful her level of education had anything to do with it as I've seen people with a third grade level education have plenty of common sense and lifestyle savvy.

I've posted a source from the media about this, but apparently that doesn't fit in with your charges?   You do check sources that are included in posts don't you? 

No, the Attorney General didn't initiate the charges, but local authorities did.  But again, like all this other stuff, it doesn't fit in with the reason for posting these isolated incidents, does it? 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 52 of 68 (67 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Is the topic as much personal with your highlighting isolated incidents in Texas? 

Of course I have an opinion about Ortega.  She was committing fraud and she knew it.

She should have known what she was doing and slipped  up by checking the wrong answer.  Any green card holder should know that they were not citizens and not eligible to vote. 

Let me assure you, my posts as relates to TEXAS is solely because of the plethora of news stories that emanate from that state relating to infringement of the civil rights of protected groups.

Try as you might to make it personal; it is not.

As to your assessment of Ms. Ortega's ability to understand her actions; I think you might be wrong.

With a sixth grade education, I doubt if she knows the definition of fraud much less planning to commit same. Her "outing herself" proved this. She didn't slip up....... she actually didn't know that non-citizens are ineligible to vote. When specifically told why she couldn't vote, she changed her answer as anyone with a sixth grade education might do. She felt she made a mistake on the form.... not the CRIME OF THE CENTURY as the great state of TEXAS is treating it.

This woman's background (three jobs at a time, raising four kids as a single parent) should make clear in most people's eyes that she tries to do the right thing and that this issue is more lack of knowledge than purposeful crime.

But then again, she is a member of a protected group...... and she is in TEXAS.......... and she has caught the eye of the INDICTED ATTORNEY GENERAL.

As one other has said, it is good she wasn't pulled over for a bad turn signal.... she may have been dead by now.

Message 53 of 68 (82 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

Why are you continuously making your responses personal?

Do you not have an opinion regarding the sentencing of Ms. Ortega?

--

Is the topic as much personal with your highlighting isolated incidents in Texas?  But it's personal when I ask about North Carolina?

Of course I have an opinion about Ortega.  She was committing fraud and she knew it.  She claimed to be a citizen when registering to vote in Dallas County, then moved across the county line to Tarrant County first indicating she was not a citizen, then when it was rejected attempted to change it.  But an elections clerk was doing his/her job and remembered that Ortega had mentioned voting in Dallas.

She should have known what she was doing and slipped  up by checking the wrong answer.  Any green card holder should know that they were not citizens and not eligible to vote.  Otherwise they wouldn't be carrying that card as it would have been turned in upon naturalization.

Ok, now hopefully we have this settled and it isn't just just a Texas thing, but national since the state doesn't issue green cards.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 54 of 68 (92 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

nctarheel wrote:

But not in TEXAS, where being a part of a protected group CAN BE a death sentence.

---

So what's the problem?  If you have one, take it up with the jury that convicted her.  You ok with green card holders or illegals voting in our elections?  Especially where she committed fraud by voting?

But a $5,000 fine, 8 years in prison, and deportation ....REALLY ???

Well, at least she wasn't arrested for failing to use a turn signal ...... That's a death* sentence in Texas!

(* = depending upon ethnicity)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 55 of 68 (96 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

nctarheel wrote:

But not in TEXAS, where being a part of a protected group CAN BE a death sentence.

---

So what's the problem?  If you have one, take it up with the jury that convicted her.  You ok with green card holders or illegals voting in our elections?  Especially where she committed fraud by voting?

And again, if you have problems with Texas, you can move here and exercise your rights as a citizen and resident to complain.  So what are you doing to improve things there in North Carolina?

Why are you continuously making your responses personal?

Do you not have an opinion regarding the sentencing of Ms. Ortega?

Do you believe that a $5,000 fine, 8 years in prison, and deportation is appropriate for a woman who worked three jobs to support 4 children single-handedly?

Please stop making the thread about me and address the issue of what I think is an excessive punishment levied just because of her ethnicity.

Message 56 of 68 (116 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

---

And again, if you have problems with Texas, you can move here and exercise your rights as a citizen and resident to complain.  So what are you doing to improve things there in North Carolina?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 57 of 68 (117 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

From what I have read, there is no doubt she knew what she was doing and that is the reason for her prosecution.

I would believe that consitutes fraud and completely illegal voting since she was well aware that she wasn't eligible to vote.

So what is so nefarious about all this?

How about the penalty of $5,000 AND 8 years in jail AND Deportation.

Usually for infractions such as this, in this state and many others, the penalty is sometimes as light as probation or as heavy as a year in jail, unless there is proof that the activity ACTUALLY changed the outcome of an election.

[ Edited ]
Message 58 of 68 (142 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

The entire post above is of a personal nature and does not address one's thoughts regarding the plight of Rosa Maria Ortega whatsoever.

--

From what I have read, there is no doubt she knew what she was doing and that is the reason for her prosecution.  And it wasn't by Maddox, but by the county prosecutor...who consulted with the Attorney General's office like most county DAs and prosecutors do. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/18/us/voter-fraud-fort-worth-trial-rosa-marie-ortega.html

I would believe that since you indicated you are a liberal that the NYTimes is an approved source.  Here is what they said about this:

"The outlines of Ms. Ortega’s offense are mostly undisputed. While living in neighboring Dallas County, she registered to vote before the 2012 election, checking a box on the registration form that certified that she was a United States citizen. After voting in 2012 and 2014, she moved to Fort Worth’s Tarrant County in 2015, where she registered to vote again — this time, ticking the box that indicated she was not a citizen.

"When her registration was rejected, she called elections officials, telling them that she had voted in Dallas. Told that people who checked the noncitizen box were ineligible to vote, she reapplied, this time indicating that she was a citizen. An elections worker who remembered her earlier comment about voting in Dallas became suspicious, and forwarded the application to the authorities."

I would believe that consitutes fraud and completely illegal voting since she was well aware that she wasn't eligible to vote.

So going back to the reason you started this topic, I would believe that unless you condone illegals voting in our elections (and I doubt that this is just a Texas thing, but could happen in any state, including yours) the state did the correct thing in prosecuting illegal activities.

So what is so nefarious about all this?

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 59 of 68 (136 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

nctarheel wrote:

My posts are clearly about the State of TEXAS and its leadership.

That leadership repeatedly exhibits racial and ethnic profiling in their actions; many of which put them at odds with Federal Law.

---

And of course if one is so interested in the leadership of another state that they continually point out what they consider flaws, then why don't they just come on over and show some activism in changing that leadership?

Again, your post lacks any discussion about Ms. Rosa Maria Ortega, the subject of this thread.

[ Edited ]
Message 60 of 68 (136 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

My posts are clearly about the State of TEXAS and its leadership.

That leadership repeatedly exhibits racial and ethnic profiling in their actions; many of which put them at odds with Federal Law.

---

And of course if one is so interested in the leadership of another state that they continually point out what they consider flaws, then why don't they just come on over and show some activism in changing that leadership?