How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: TEXAS PARADOX MAY LEAD TO WOMAN'S DEPORTATION

Message 1 of 68 (40 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

Why make this personal Tx ?   I am happy where I am and have been happy anywhere I have been, and will remain fairly happy anywhere I go.

--

Is there a reason you took that personally?  If you're happy where you're a, perhaps others are happy where they are at.  Why the negative comments about states you don't live in then?  Apparently others are taking their unhappiness at being where they're at on other states.

Y'all have a nice day now......enough of this.

Pointing out things about a state one doesn't live in has nothing to do with whether or not they are happy with where they live.  There are many things that should be consistent across America, there is nothing wrong with someone pointing out something they think to be wrong in any state in our country.  But then again, there are those who seem to think that any state should be able to do whatever they want.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 68 (49 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

Of course you do .............. what's your point?   

--

What's yours?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 68 (51 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

No it doesn't "seem to be inferring that", so why do you say so?

--

Of course you don't think so... 

Of course you do .............. what's your point?   

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"

Message 4 of 68 (52 Views)

BigLib wrote:

And now if you'll excuse me, I'm pooped from having spent my morning volunteering to take other seniors to their doctor appointments, you know, doing things for others

--

Congratulations for doing that.  I spent several years after retirement doing the same until medical problems handicapped me to where I couldn't.  I never got tired of doing that most all day, since the gratitude of those older was a good feeling.  The one time I really felt young was when a 103 year old gentleman kept calling me young man and reminding me I better be careful.

Now I just wish I could get up and about more often, but not ready for a designated driver.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 68 (56 Views)

BigLib wrote:

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

But apparently now we're starting to attack others personally for their posts? 

Not attacking. Just pointing out that it's totally unreasonable (not to mention wholly narcissistic) to expect that everyone else know my life's path, demand they make it their life's path as well, and then chastize anyone who didn't do things the way I did them.

And now if you'll excuse me, I'm pooped from having spent my morning volunteering to take other seniors to their doctor appointments, you know, doing things for others, and I don't feel like trying to pass myself off as some pollyanna keyboard warrior. Just be glad Ortega is in jail where she can't overthrow the government with all the republicans she voted for.

Beautiful post, BigLib....they keep getting better and better.  IMO, your life's path would be very interesting to read as you've learned it's not necessary to use it to prop yourself up.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 68 (59 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

Not attacking. Just pointing out that it's totally unreasonable (not to mention wholly narcissistic) to expect that everyone else know my life's path, demand they make it their life's path as well, and then chastize anyone who didn't do things the way I did them.

And now if you'll excuse me, I'm pooped from having spent my morning volunteering to take other seniors to their doctor appointments, you know, doing things for others, and I don't feel like trying to pass myself off as some pollyanna keyboard warrior. Just be glad Ortega is in jail where she can't overthrow the government with all the republicans she voted for.

Bowling Green Massacre is a flat-out lie. "Biggest electoral victory since Reagan" is another lie. Lied about terror attacks in Sweden.

Message 7 of 68 (61 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

Even your local media wonders why he was so involved with this case...........Whether you have been to a naturalization ceremony or not, or have a familiarity with immigrants, or who you are friends with, has nothing to do with this thread other than divert attention from the subject

--

In the context of the discussion my familiarity with immigrants, their road to naturalization and in the context I made the post is no diversion.  At least anymore than other posts.  In any event, I have to believe that I'm more familiar with the system than some here who hasn't dealt with it.  Have you?

As far 'my local media', the link you gave is no more local than my saying the The Tennessean is yours.  Dallas in 300 miles from here and could be Timbuktu, or even Charlotte, North Carolina, as far as many around here is concerned. 

But regarding the Dallas newpaper, that you seem to read on-line so religiously for earthshaking indictments of Texas, it is liberal, Democratic orientated so not surprising it is blasting the sentence [especially with the DA being a Republican], but even it states that Ortego says "All my life I was taught I was a U.S. citizen".  She should know darn well that wasn't true since she was carrying a green card.

And the article also refers to the deal with Paxton that fell through.  The District Attorney says she had nothing to do with that.  I would believe there are more reasons than that.

But thank you for your interest in Texas and keeping everyone informed of these tidbits that happens here just like in other states.  Being so large of course there might be more to find.

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 68 (66 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

If that was the case then why wasn't it the topic?  

First the Attorney General was blamed for the sentence, but apparently now there is fishing for any derogatory comments available.

As far as being familiar with immigrants, I am familiar with a good many, plus associating with many more I'm not familiar with. For years most of my wife's friends were those studying for the citizenship test.  Was even was at a naturalization ceremony once.  

My original post makes it quite clear that my opinion was that there was a miscarriage of justice; an event that regularly occurs in TEXAS'S Justice System to "persons of color".

Nowhere did I blame the Attorney General for the sentence; yet, I did blame him for his involvement. Even your local media wonders why he was so involved with this case.

Whether you have been to a naturalization ceremony or not, or have a familiarity with immigrants, or who you are friends with, has nothing to do with this thread other than divert attention from the subject

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/editorials/2017/02/14/eight-years-prison-voting-illegally-gross-in...

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 68 (82 Views)

nctarheel wrote:

That is the subject of this thread.

---

Not necessarily.  If that was the case then why wasn't it the topic?  No, this lady was a repeat offender of our electoral system and the District Attorney wasn't going easy on her.  First the Attorney General was blamed for the sentence, but apparently now there is fishing for any derogatory comments available.

And aren't you the one who has been slamming the Texas judicial system?  Like the Houston Police Chief said in a news conference regarding Tom Brady's jersey shirt that was stolen and located in Mexico....DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS!!!

As far as being familiar with immigrants, I am familiar with a good many, plus associating with many more I'm not familiar with.  Probably more than many here.  For years most of my wife's friends were those studying for the citizenship test.  Was even was at a naturalization ceremony once.  

Message 10 of 68 (83 Views)

BigLib wrote:

You've made plenty of assumptions, too. How do you know she's not had access to study groups. You assume just because some have, that must mean everyone else must follow what you've witnessed, BECAUSE TX SEZ SO. Puhleeze. You know any immigrants who have never been able to pass the test, try as they might? Oh, of course not, cuz it doesn't fit the smear campaign.

It's a good thing Americans in Texas don't need to pass the test. Since Ortega is a product of the Texas school system, there's obviously not much education going on there to make an excuse for!

--

My assumptions is based on knowing immigrants studying for the immigration test.  Before there were published study guides available, applicants would study typewritten sheets with possible questions and answers, either alone or in groups. 

As far as the Texas educational system, we've had three children that was educated through it.  One is making over six figures as an IT executive for an international oil company; one is teaching school and the daughter with a criminal forsenic degree has chosen to raise her children.