The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Reply
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Posts: 4,917
Registered: ‎04-07-2015

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

Message 1 of 19 (64 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:


@Centristsin2010 Hearing that!  DH, who is treated to my observations pritnear daily (poor guy, he's really a saint to be able to live with me) still scoffs at my allegations of systemic misogyny.

 

@Epster For convenience, I'm combing a few of your points here of which I disagree, with all due respect, and for what it's worth, I think is quite high.

 

First of all, good for DH!  Must be one helllava guy.....he's got his hands full.  Man Wink

 

Secondly, I agree there is systematic misogyny, just as there is is systematic racism as well. We can thank white males for THAT!!!  

 

White males have been fighting against much of any change for decades.....

 

I DO think the exploitation goes both ways.  Women have been exploiting men as well.  Are the women in the video exploiting men for easy money?  **bleep** straight!  Have woman exploited men by dressing in a provocative way to get jobs (sometimes), free drinks in a bar (often), and to turn heads?  Sure!!!  It's easy to blame men, as we both have, but we also need to recognize it does indeed go both ways.

 

 


@Centristsin2010   DH can sometimes be heard chanting something about picking the Scottish Highlander/Viking.  On occasion it rather sounds like a lamentation. Smiley Happy

 

Sure, I never intended to lambaste men alone. Women have a hand in this self destructive exploitation. In this I think there is no us and them, there is only we. We respond, so we get more of what worked. It isn't an easy basket to unravel.

 

There are many parts of this particular problem. One part of the solution is to give women equal pay for equal work. Then easy money (and late night "project" meetings at whoever's hotel room) will be less appealing.  

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly
Posts: 4,917
Registered: ‎04-07-2015

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

Message 2 of 19 (67 Views)

MaVolta wrote:

@Epster - You're right, sex sells, and it has for a long time. These days, it takes a much more in-your-face approach. It's not just in the advertising, it's everywhere. Objectification of women is prevalent in a lot of music. On tv shows, do you see how the younger, shapelier women are dressed, sometimes barely? 

 

We (our generation) may have paid less attention to it having grown up with the sexual revolution of the 60's. It existed, albeit more subtly, in our parents day and before. It's grown more freely with each passing decade as to what society will find 'acceptable' that it should be no surprise that there are no limits as to what is found acceptable in today's culture. 


@MaVolta  Word!  It really does seem to be everywhere.

 

One reason I'll post a live version or the lyric version of a song on the Rock N Roll forum rather than the official video has to do with exploitation fatigue.

 

One thing I've noticed about movies and TV is that the man will be fully clothed, but the woman will be in a thong. Interesting sex they must have. Another thing I notice is the best dressed versus worst dressed lists generally reward the skimpy outfits and chastises the more modest ones. What are we thinking?

 

BTW, the AARP website story (linked to above) mentions that a few years ago a car ran into the female Muffler Man that's depicted, and that part of the repairs included a skirt that she wears in winter. Incremental movement in the right direction, that. (The skirt, not that apparently a car had to smash her legs to make the point). Smiley Happy

 

 

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 1,546
Registered: ‎10-09-2009

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

Message 3 of 19 (82 Views)

@Centristsin2010 - Yes, it cuts both ways. Those are valid points. 

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 1,546
Registered: ‎10-09-2009

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

[ Edited ]
Message 4 of 19 (85 Views)

@Epster - You're right, sex sells, and it has for a long time. These days, it takes a much more in-your-face approach. It's not just in the advertising, it's everywhere. Objectification of women is prevalent in a lot of music. On tv shows, do you see how the younger, shapelier women are dressed, sometimes barely? 

 

We (our generation) may have paid less attention to it having grown up with the sexual revolution of the 60's. It existed, albeit more subtly, in our parents day and before. It's grown more freely with each passing decade as to what society will find 'acceptable' that it should be no surprise that there are no limits as to what is found acceptable in today's culture. 

Treasured Social Butterfly
Posts: 21,404
Registered: ‎06-09-2010

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

Message 5 of 19 (99 Views)

Epster wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

I agree.  In fact I agree so much I felt it worthy to illustrate your point.  As you know, many, especially us with the xy chromosome's, remain in denial.  Shucks, just two years ago folks were posting that there is no racism in the US.....thus the desire to breakthrough to those lacking in the gene pool and post video's of racist behavior. 


@Centristsin2010 Hearing that!  DH, who is treated to my observations pritnear daily (poor guy, he's really a saint to be able to live with me) still scoffs at my allegations of systemic misogyny.

 

@Epster For convenience, I'm combing a few of your points here of which I disagree, with all due respect, and for what it's worth, I think is quite high.

 

First of all, good for DH!  Must be one helllava guy.....he's got his hands full.  Man Wink

 

Secondly, I agree there is systematic misogyny, just as there is is systematic racism as well. We can thank white males for THAT!!!  Grinch Smile GIF

 

White males have been fighting against much of any change for decades.....

 

I DO think the exploitation goes both ways.  Women have been exploiting men as well.  Are the women in the video exploiting men for easy money?  **bleep** straight!  Have woman exploited men by dressing in a provocative way to get jobs (sometimes), free drinks in a bar (often), and to turn heads?  Sure!!!  It's easy to blame men, as we both have, but we also need to recognize it does indeed go both ways.

 

I also disagree my comment about trumps choice for labor secretary was partisan.  I was pointing out that things are indeed changing and cost one executive the job of a lifetime....had nothing to do with partisan politics.

 

IMO, this forum is much better with both you and A.P. posting here.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Treasured Social Butterfly
Posts: 8,174
Registered: ‎11-18-2009

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

Message 6 of 19 (108 Views)
kudos to DH lol.
So it begins.
Treasured Social Butterfly
Posts: 8,174
Registered: ‎11-18-2009

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

Message 7 of 19 (112 Views)
i was slow scrolling as I read your topic post, showing one line at a time. In my mind i first saw the muffler woman as a gal with dirty hands swinging a wrench. I agree with you.
So it begins.
Treasured Social Butterfly
Posts: 4,917
Registered: ‎04-07-2015

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

[ Edited ]
Message 8 of 19 (152 Views)

alferdpacker wrote:

 @alferdpacker  This is not a partisan issue; this is the Politics and SOCIETY forum, afterall. Not everything that is posted here is about red and blue. Sexist ads have existed throughout our national history. No one, no party, no consumer is guiltless as long as we respond to ads that use the posterior of young women to sell whatever. That ad above: wasn't it broadcast during the previous administration 

 


 

 

Everything is inextricably interconnected and cannot be validly and accurately considered apart from the rest of society and politics...

 

@alferdpacker Everything, perhaps, save your comment to the subject of this thread. Smiley Happy  Please stay on topic and stop trying to hijack this thread. This is not a partisan topic. Thank you for observing the guidelines. Smiley Happy

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Treasured Social Butterfly
Posts: 25,306
Registered: ‎07-11-2013

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

Message 9 of 19 (159 Views)

Epster wrote:

alferdpacker wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

I agree.  In fact I agree so much I felt it worthy to illustrate your point.  As you know, many, especially us with the xy chromosome's, remain in denial.  Shucks, just two years ago folks were posting that there is no racism in the US.....thus the desire to breakthrough to those lacking in the gene pool and post video's of racist behavior. 


If a marketing campaign is to appeal to right wing shallow end of the gene pool bigots - reality and rationality almost certainly won't sell to them - but sex, greed and prejudice will...

 

Perhaps their offspring will not be as much like them...

 

 


@alferdpacker  This is not a partisan issue; this is the Politics and SOCIETY forum, afterall. Not everything that is posted here is about red and blue. Sexist ads have existed throughout our national history. No one, no party, no consumer is guiltless as long as we respond to ads that use the posterior of young women to sell whatever. That ad above: wasn't it broadcast during the previous administration?

 

 

 


 Yep it sure was - did Obama or any of his cabinet speak favorably of it?  

If so - I missed seeing/hearing that - and welcome a link demonstrating that I am in error in that particular respect....

 


So - was the demographic group it was intended to appeal to comprised of PhD holders, proverbial rocket scientists and the intellectual top ten percent of the populace - or an entirely different demographic group?

 

Is cutting education funding likely to have a beneficial effect upon the children of the demographic group the ad was designed to appeal to?

 

Everything is inextricably interconnected and cannot be validly and accurately considered apart from the rest of society and politics...

 

 

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning
Treasured Social Butterfly
Posts: 4,917
Registered: ‎04-07-2015

Re: Sex Sells Because We Make It So

Message 10 of 19 (146 Views)

UPDATE: DH just read my comment about him scoffing at my allegation of systemic misogyny. He says he scoffs only at my use of the word systemic. He doesn't feel he should be included, and systemic cleary includes him.

 

FWIW, he's right in that he is not outrightly sexist. 

 

That being said, I maintain that time is now to act on behalf of what you think is true and right. Do not stand quietly by while lawyers blame victims. Instead, stand up for victims, help create an atmosphere where the long-silenced can come forward.

 

 

 

 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving