Watch Tonight for Tips to Save Money on Pricey Prescription Drugs at 10 p.m. ET on AARP LIVE! Watch Here

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Sam's clubs close same day as $11 raise and bonus

Message 51 of 87

MIseker wrote:

The local hardware was sold because they couldnt price as cheap as lowes etc for appliances etc. 

Local hardware stores had their place because they carried items that local people needed.  If you needed a four inch carriage bolt, they probably had it somewhere on the shelves.  Sears and Montgomery Wards had a place during the catalog years, but with discount stores taking hold, they moved to the back burner, and even internet shopping has had an effect on discount stores.  Discount stores are meeting this by combining online shopping with store pickup.

As far as store location closings, it isn't just particular to this administration since it has been going on for several years with major retail chains.  As far as the wages at Walmart, we have several friends who works for a local Walmart and has for years.  They started out with locally owned stores but went to Walmart for better salaries and have remained for years.

I'm sure that no one here would want to go back to the pedler with established routes that was the norm back when I was young through the early years of WW2.  He drove a vehicle similar to UPS trucks and lined with shelves.  Or going through the Sears catalog where shipping was determined through postal zones from the distribution centers.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 52 of 87

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

MIseker wrote:
We all remember those mom and pop stores that supported at least one family.

I grew up with Mom & Pop stores, and we paid full price for everything, no bargains nor money saving specials.  They charged full price and today instead of Mom & Pop stores we have 7-Elevens that charge full price for everything.  I shop with my pocketbook and not with ideas.   And even now instead of staying with one business, I use the internet to compare prices between Walmart, HEB, Amazon, Sam's, etc. 

Fact is I buy largely from Ebay since mostly I'm supporting would-be entrepreneurs with competitive prices.  I even google return addresses and from street views have found that the majority of places are average looking private homes and even apartment buildings...not huge store fronts.

I figure in gas and time also, and my time is expensive like it was when i worked, not retiree wages. Im 12 miles from a walmart, 30 miles from any kind of shopping center. there USED to be small Sears, pennys, and kmart at that 12 mile point that i used constantly. Now i go to the local grocery, and shop online. Amazon beat all the catalogue store at their own game. They killed themselves when they went to anchor malls. when they were in small towns they had a formula Amazon etc couldnt beat..they had brick and motar you could go to to check out an example of what was in their catalogue. They had the opportunity to be the first online catalouge backed up with floor samples. 

So, in light of their suicide by profit chasing, i tend to avoid most non local retail outfits. ANYTHING that is a slave to the stock market is a place to avoid. they supress wages, benfits, pensions, all good treatmet of the worker because of their already inflated value. 

The local hardware was sold because they couldnt price as cheap as lowes etc for appliances etc. Its now a franchise outfit, having gone from paying its trained staff a living wage and benefits to  just the owner making a living...and not a great one at that. I go there and order my appliances now, becuase I can. 

So it begins.

Message 53 of 87

MIseker wrote:
We all remember those mom and pop stores that supported at least one family.

I grew up with Mom & Pop stores, and we paid full price for everything, no bargains nor money saving specials.  They charged full price and today instead of Mom & Pop stores we have 7-Elevens that charge full price for everything.  I shop with my pocketbook and not with ideas.   And even now instead of staying with one business, I use the internet to compare prices between Walmart, HEB, Amazon, Sam's, etc. 

Fact is I buy largely from Ebay since mostly I'm supporting would-be entrepreneurs with competitive prices.  I even google return addresses and from street views have found that the majority of places are average looking private homes and even apartment buildings...not huge store fronts.

Message 54 of 87

BigLib wrote:

'Trump'

Again, I was discussing Walmart and Sam's Club which is the topic here.  If you want to discuss Trump then post to someone else.

Message 55 of 87
We all remember those mom and pop stores that supported at least one family. Their kids worked there as well as others learning how to work or takeover the biz, many others worked there because they liked it as well as a minimum wage that was more in line with economic reality. Mom and pops are gone now, replaced by dollar general with profits going to shareholders..and even the manger doesnt make a living wage.
So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 56 of 87

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

BigLib wrote:

You have a link to an article that states how many Walmart employees will be lifted above public assistance qualifying levels, or is that just an assertion we're all supposed to unquestionably swallow? How Trumpian of you!!!

And where have I even mentioned Trump?  No, I've been referring to the business actions of the Walmart corporation.  What is your opinion of a Mom & Pop store that only pays their employees minimum wages with no benefits?  Are they any different?

Nice dodge. Let's review.

You first claimed those Sam's Club employees had been offered jobs at other Walmart/Sam's Club stores, and when asked for proof, you refused to provide any. Why is that?

Then you claimed that the Walmart raise would ensure their employees would live above public assistance qualifying levels, and when asked for proof, you refused to provide any. Why is that?

And then you state that unless someone owns Walmart stock, they have no business commenting on Walmart's actions. Except, now, you want me to comment on Mom & Pop stores that neither you nor I own any stock in. Dramamine, anyone? How about this - not many Mom & Pop store owners offshore their earnings in tax havens - care to start there?

And I can comment on whether I think somebody is following Trump's MO of making wild assertions with no FACTS to back them up, regardless of if that somebody ever mentioned Trump or not.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (8 pages of lies and growing)

Message 57 of 87
I own stock in Walmart. I pay taxes to subsidize their crappy wages.
So it begins.

Message 58 of 87

BigLib wrote:

You have a link to an article that states how many Walmart employees will be lifted above public assistance qualifying levels, or is that just an assertion we're all supposed to unquestionably swallow? How Trumpian of you!!!

And where have I even mentioned Trump?  No, I've been referring to the business actions of the Walmart corporation.  What is your opinion of a Mom & Pop store that only pays their employees minimum wages with no benefits?  Are they any different?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 59 of 87

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

BigLib wrote:

Oh, and Walmart still leads the state of Ohio for having the most employees that need and qualify for state assistance.

So you're still upset about Walmart giving their employees a raise and perhaps allowing them go off public assistance?  How liberal of you!!!

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (8 pages of lies and growing)

Message 60 of 87

trump lies - hIs followers and supporters stupidly believe his lies...

SAY WHAT?  

WALMART LIES - JUST LIKE TRUMP - NOT QUITE AS OFTEN - BUT JUST AS OUTRAGEOUSLY?  

IMAGINE THAT...

i4MER9Q.jpg

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning