Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Gold Conversationalist

Re: STOP participating in the Thoughts & Prayers SCAM

Message 51 of 66 (131 Views)

Real discussion—Doing nothing and repeating the rhetoric of the NRA ISN’T 

WORKING!  

Gee, I miss having a real president! 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 52 of 66 (138 Views)
How do you or anyone propose to get the guns away from the bad guys? Simple question that has nothing to do with Trump or politicians.

I personally own many guns. I conceal carry wherever I'm allowed. I hunt too. Have a shot gun on my boat. Everyone in rural America has guns for all sorts of reasons.
My kids grew up with guns as did I.

Here's some truths
Guns limitation laws are becoming less restrictive.
Supreme court will generally rule for less regulation in support of the 2nd amendment
There are not enough states to vote for repeal of the second amendment
There are 600,000,000 guns in the US
Gun show loophole is less about "where" and more about "who" can sell a gun

Open to any real discussion about guns

Hate is not a Christian virtue, neither is liberal sanctimony
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 53 of 66 (139 Views)

guns prayers.jpg

Gold Conversationalist

Message 54 of 66 (201 Views)

Sadly, what we hear from Don lemon is no more than common sense, and I must point out, no more than what thinking posters in this forum have sad.

Thoughts and prayers are nice when there is nothing else that can be done, for example, someone dies of a fast-moving cancer. But in this case,  the cancer is lack of gun control laws that could slow down what seems to have become a national epidemic in our country.  Thoughts and prayers will not close the gun show loophole. Having a total moron as a president who allows the mentally ill easier access to guns certainly will not solve the problem.

Cliches like they’ll take your guns, or it doesn’t matter what we try,  it won’t change anything are mindless chats from those who listen to people who are either acting in their own best interest such as the NRA,  or people who clearly don’t have a  functioning brain cell left.

To hear Trump, who clearly has no thoughts or no prayers for anything or anybody other than himself, say his thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families is a lewd insult directed at all those who have died, will die, thefamilies left suffering,  and those who will in the future suffer because no one is willing to take on the NRA, step up to the plate, and protect the American people.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 55 of 66 (216 Views)

Each time I hear a person use the phrase, "my thoughts and prayers are with you" or some variation, I wonder what is meant this time. 

I've heard it used as what seems to be an expression of sympathy for a misfortune someone  has suffered.  I've  heard it used by others in similar situations as an expression of extreme disapproval. An up-front, in-your-face admonition for someone to change their ways....or else. 

I've heard it used as a most meaninigless and extreme cop-out, meaning "no way I'm going to do anything at all about this....it's your misfortune and none of my own." 

I've heard it used as an expression of contempt to a victim for being a victim, usually accompanied with an aside to someone else such as "they should have known better than ___________________[here insert whatever event fits..I'll bet you've heard one recently.  No shortage to choose from.

"I'll pray for you." doesn't necessarily mean that.  Could mean you, personally, are not only stupid, but evil as well...essentially beyond redemption in the opinion of the one saying it.  Could mean you're outside the circle of the 'chosen' and don't think as I do.  Could mean God's gonna getcha for that.  The last time I heard that phrase used sincerely was by a catholic priest trying to comfort a mortally wounded youngster of about 19 or so, knowing at the bottom of his being,  that was the best he could do.  

See.....it depends....it all depends. 

Message 56 of 66 (211 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

@MaVolta wrote:

Don Lemon "nails it".

@Centristsin2010 - Indeed he did! The right words, the right tone, the right time. He speaks for me too.

I think he speaks for many....

We are often at a loss for words after a tragedy and many of us have said "my thoughts and prayers are with you".  We often want to say something....anything, but it does give us an easy out.....a shortcoming possibly.

BUT, as Mick and Don Lemon point out, actually doing something will have a greater, lasting impact; not "MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU".  We lost 58 in Las Vegas and 28 in Texas and we can't talk about our gun laws because "it's too soon."  Yet when 8 are killed in NY, our justice system is called "joke" a "laughing stock" and we need new legislation.  It's no wonder many see the real laughing stock is #45 and his supporters.  My "thoughts and prayers" are with them.

all thes thoughts and prayers have led to no action..especially by those considered the most faithful in our govenment. That should raise questions about their true belief in the Diety.

So it begins.

Message 57 of 66 (203 Views)

@MaVolta wrote:

Don Lemon "nails it".

@Centristsin2010 - Indeed he did! The right words, the right tone, the right time. He speaks for me too.

I think he speaks for many....

We are often at a loss for words after a tragedy and many of us have said "my thoughts and prayers are with you".  We often want to say something....anything, but it does give us an easy out.....a shortcoming possibly.

BUT, as Mick and Don Lemon point out, actually doing something will have a greater, lasting impact; not "MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU".  We lost 58 in Las Vegas and 28 in Texas and we can't talk about our gun laws because "it's too soon."  Yet when 8 are killed in NY, our justice system is called "joke" a "laughing stock" and we need new legislation.  It's no wonder many see the real laughing stock is #45 and his supporters.  My "thoughts and prayers" are with them.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 58 of 66 (211 Views)

Don Lemon "nails it".

Message 59 of 66 (216 Views)

@Epster wrote:

Ah. Thanks, @Centristsin2010.

Emoji Smiley GIF - Emoji Smiley Blushing GIFs

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 60 of 66 (214 Views)

Ah. Thanks, @Centristsin2010.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving