Latest Update on the Senate Health Care Bill — Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Watch Facebook Live

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Protest Instead of Taking Final Exam

Message 81 of 102 (126 Views)

Actually, they sound like pretty good students who actually learned something about HUMAN RIGHTS course they took,  as they 1) held a protest to denounce hate and 2) Developed arguments / talking points about current violations to Human Rights here in the USA.  

As a "boomer" , I was given options about how to take some of my finals and if it was mathematically impossible to change my grade point by getting a perfect score on a "final", I could opt out of taking the final entirely.    

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 82 of 102 (109 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

jimc91 wrote:

Panjandrum wrote:

Richva:  We must nip this in the bud else millions of students across the nation will be coerced into protesting Trump who would otherwise be protesting Hillary or Prohibition. 

Or birth control, or healthcare, or................... 

Or not having a clue how to get through life by earning a living for themselves...

All in keeping with the neo-Marxist thinking of the Progressives to put more and more people out there unable to take care of themselves. That creates the need of an all powerful central government to see to all their needs and make all their decisions.

Taking this from a handful of students protesting Trump to "Neo-Marxist thinking of Progressives"   and   "more people out there unable to take care of themselves"  and  "the need of an all powerful central government to see all their needs and make their decisions" is stretching it just a bit, IMHO. Smiley Surprised

Is it a stretch to wish our institutions of higher learning??? teach the academic courses versus having professor(s) whether right or left, indoctrinating their students in their political beliefs? This, a good reason why our educational system is in such a disarray.

Any student, who is absent from a class to protest, should be given progressive discipline up to expulsion! This includes students from the right or left-even though you don't hear about this shenanigans from the right very often.

They should be LEARNING not BURNING!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 83 of 102 (119 Views)

I can't help but thinking that if this were a Right Wing Professor letting his students protest Hillary, Democrats, or other Left Wing POLs, the Right Wing here would be avidly supporting it.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 84 of 102 (116 Views)

Do you really think these kids were just hauled out on a protest line somewhere? If done correctly, they had to study the history of the release of tax returns....

pc - I have no idea how they got there, do you?

As to "done correctly" - if it were done correctly, they would have learned the function of tax forms. On the other hand, if in class they learned to hate our President - that he was a racist, bigot, homophobe, etc. etc. etc. it may well be they were acting based on the "education" they had received.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 85 of 102 (111 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

jimc91 wrote:

Panjandrum wrote:

Richva:  We must nip this in the bud else millions of students across the nation will be coerced into protesting Trump who would otherwise be protesting Hillary or Prohibition. 

Or birth control, or healthcare, or................... 

Or not having a clue how to get through life by earning a living for themselves...

All in keeping with the neo-Marxist thinking of the Progressives to put more and more people out there unable to take care of themselves. That creates the need of an all powerful central government to see to all their needs and make all their decisions.

Taking this from a handful of students protesting Trump to "Neo-Marxist thinking of Progressives"   and   "more people out there unable to take care of themselves"  and  "the need of an all powerful central government to see all their needs and make their decisions" is stretching it just a bit, IMHO. Smiley Surprised

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 86 of 102 (106 Views)

jimc91 wrote:

I have always said the very best teachers are the ones that show students where to look without telling them what to see.  Teach them how to think, NOT WHAT TO THINK!
What a fabulous and self-evident thought.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 87 of 102 (107 Views)

pc6063 wrote:

protest rather than classes--Anyone who has ever taight, or who has been in a classroom, for that matter, knows that  "hands on  exeriences" are  much more advantageous than classroom experiences.  I can't think of a better civic lesson than that put together by this Arizonia professor!! 

Robbing students of their education??  This couldn't be further from the truth.  Not all must agree with a learning exercise for it to have merit!!!

Congrats to Arizonia State University!!!!

Good point - hands on experience for a carpentry student in how to build a cabinet or hands on experience for a revolutionary in how to bring down a Constitutionally elected government by "mobs in the streets". Sorta the Bolshevik approach to elections.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 88 of 102 (104 Views)

Richva wrote:

If we could get the Conservatives to actually read Marx, they would find that he assumed the central government would eventually fade away as no longer necessary. That seems to be at odds with the Conservative idea that he wanted a strong central government. Now, Lenin was a different story but for some reason Marx is the touchstone for Conservatives. 

If "we" could get neo-Marxists to actually read Marx they would learn that the government would fade away ONLY AFTER the people had been reconditioned to accept the tenets Marxism. To get to that point, an all powerful State would be required to control every aspect of the lives of the people.

So, as you can see, it is in keeping with the the Conservative's view of Marxism. 

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 89 of 102 (143 Views)

You assume a lot to think that the professor told the students what to think! Do 

you think for  one minute this prof didn't know that there would be pro Trump and anti-trump protesters out on that tax March?  

hard to believe anyone could think that. this was a wonderful opportunity for those students to get both sides of the picture while interacting personally.

very shortsighted for anyone to think any differently.

politics, cats, kids, and dogs!!
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 90 of 102 (136 Views)

RK-Do you really think these kids were just hauled out on a protest line somewhere? If done correctly, they had to study the history of the release of tax returns- probably the release of tax returns from senators and congressmen as well as former presidents. they had to study all the ins and outs of what might be in them and why, what the ramifications would be if there were conflicts of interest, and they had to be aware of the present day political culture. that's a huge lesson.

But we are not done if done right, these kids  had to go back and write a huge essay, not only about all the things I've already mentioned but their observations out there on that march. in all probability,  they were directed to speak with other protesters . it's not as cut and dry as you might think,  and again a huge learning opportunity.

as a former teacher, let me tell you that "field trips"as I will lightly term this, are much more demanding on the teachers then is just giving  a final test.

So, yes congratulations to Arizona State University!

Really don't care if you agree or not,  but just because you don't happen to agree with what this professor did, that certainly does not make this wrong!

politics, cats, kids, and dogs!!