Join AARP in Celebration of Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. Nominate Someone for the AAPI Hero Award

Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Protest Instead of Taking Final Exam

Message 31 of 102 (92 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

I can't help but thinking that if this were a Right Wing Professor letting his students protest Hillary, Democrats, or other Left Wing POLs, the Right Wing here would be avidly supporting it.

Again with the imaginations. It is hard enough to agree on facts, imaginations are just off the chart.

But I can speak from my own perspective only and assure you that I would never approve college kids being used as cannon fodder for a radical "take it to the streets" reaction to a legal election.

Thank goodness that college professors know more about teaching than many posters here.

What does that mean? It sounds like teaching kids to oppose a Constitutional election via violence in the streets and the denial of free speech is appropriate to you.

Surely I misunderstood and you will clarify.

sure am glad that Constitution didnt come about while people were taking to the streets..glad you have the education to point that out.

So it begins.

Message 32 of 102 (84 Views)

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Lemmings.

pot, kettle.

So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 102 (86 Views)

Rk- you know how they got there they were given a choice and they chose to go there.

as far as hiating the president,  I have no idea how you got there.  Again your argument is invalid.

politics, cats, kids, and dogs!!

Message 34 of 102 (82 Views)

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

I can't help but thinking that if this were a Right Wing Professor letting his students protest Hillary, Democrats, or other Left Wing POLs, the Right Wing here would be avidly supporting it.

I can't help but wondering where or when did something like this ever happen?  Aren't 99% of professors left wing and their responsibility is to indoctrinate their students?

http://www.alternet.org/right-wing/rightwing-billionaires-are-intentionally-funding-hate-speech-coll...

So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 35 of 102 (83 Views)

Rk-seems to me you need to be reminded that the event that the students went to was not a protest of the election,  it was a protest because a very dishonest liar who said he would release his tax  forms in order to clear up any suspicion of conflict of interest, went back on his word.  Because of the suspicion with his interaction with the Russians,  this becomes of paramount importance to thinking people. 

You have no evidence these students went there  to oppose anything.  This is obviously something you assume because you don't like the idea of anyone opposing anything that opposes Trump. In all probability, these students wrnt there in order to get a balanced view if the situation. It would be a fantasy to assume right wingers were not on site exercising their freedom of speech.

You try to divert this conversation by talking about suppression of free speech on the Berkley campus a few months back.

once again if you had done your research, or read any of the posts from others,  you would know that police officials clearly said that the people who started the trouble came from outside the Berkeley area and certainly were not part of the campus itself, but you choose to ignore that as it doesn't suit your political agenda.

But back to the subject at hand since your diversion did not work,  claiming that the students should not have gone to this event is exactly what you are saying you oppose!  it would be to suppress their rights to observe an exercise in free speech.

Your argument continues to be  invalid.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 36 of 102 (79 Views)

pc6063 wrote:

Students being forced to protest? How about we just sit them all in a classroom and inundate them with right wing rhetoric, making sure they never, ever hear an imposing view? 

Yes, that's the way to do it if we want our kids to be ignorant with regard to how the world works.  Heck, why expose them to differing points of view.

Sounds pretty biased but that is  exactly what those who are against this are proposing.

Or we could let students know there are opposing ideologies out there and expose them to siuations that will not only expose them to both, but allow them to interact with people ftom both points of view.

We live in a country that encourages our young people to become informed free thinkers. To limit exposure to as many points of view as possible is to harm our young, their future, and the future if this country.

There is no place in education for those unwilling to allow exposure to all facets of our present day political environment.

Agreed - the university setting is suppose to be a place to open minds and expose them to all aspects of political thinking. Do you suppose sending them out to oppose an election via violence in the street fits that model? How about all the suppression of free speech on campuses, does that fit the model?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 102 (78 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

Again with the imaginations. It is hard enough to agree on facts, imaginations are just off the chart.

But I can speak from my own perspective only and assure you that I would never approve college kids being used as cannon fodder for a radical "take it to the streets" reaction to a legal election.

Thank goodness that college professors know more about teaching than many posters here.

What does that mean? It sounds like teaching kids to oppose a Constitutional election via violence in the streets and the denial of free speech is appropriate to you.

Surely I misunderstood and you will clarify.

"Misunderstood" or 'misrepresented' what I posted? No need to clarify, what I posted is above for all to see and it has nothing to do with anything in your response.

Still not clear. If a prof sends kids out to oppose a Constitutional election via violence in the street, "Thank goodness that college professors know more about teaching than many posters here" sounds like approval of such actions. Do you approve??

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 38 of 102 (70 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

I assume that many on the right that complain about this would accept it with open arms if the students were protesting a left wing president.

There it is again - the "assume" game and the mind reading. Neither seems to work very well. But, you can vindicate yourself - cite examples of "many on the right" approving of such a thing during the Obama Administration.

Feel free to go through the thousands of past postings during Obama's tenure and show us anyone from the Right criticizing students protesting Obama (or any left wing president). Lack of criticism equals approval.

I haven't seen that dodge lately, it's like a "blast from the past". Someone makes a wild claim and when challenged says, "You go look it up".

Weak, weak indeed.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 39 of 102 (78 Views)

Chas-Comments from the other side remind me of state run educational systems, like those found in communist countries-how sad.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 40 of 102 (66 Views)

Students being forced to protest? How about we just sit them all in a classroom and inundate them with right wing rhetoric, making sure they never, ever hear an imposing view? 

Yes, that's the way to do it if we want our kids to be ignorant with regard to how the world works.  Heck, why expose them to differing points of view.

Sounds pretty biased but that is  exactly what those who are against this are proposing.

Or we could let students know there are opposing ideologies out there and expose them to siuations that will not only expose them to both, but allow them to interact with people ftom both points of view.

We live in a country that encourages our young people to become informed free thinkers. To limit exposure to as many points of view as possible is to harm our young, their future, and the future if this country.

There is no place in education for those unwilling to allow exposure to all facets of our present day political environment.