Join the Summer of Service to SeniorsSM - sign AARP Foundation's banner

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Protest Instead of Taking Final Exam

Message 1 of 102 (325 Views)

pc6063 wrote:

Tx

When students participate in events such as this,  the work they do is much more complex then it would be to just study for a test.

discussions and research are done before, notes and observations must be made during,  papers must be written after, sometimes debates are also scheduled after- however because this was a final the debates probably took place prior to the event.

no outside of campus event, of any sort, entails much more work on the part of both the teachers and the students,  then does a paper and pencil test. 

Been there, done that! 

Yes, it is complex. And I would assume planning and executing a bank robbery is no doubt more complex than sitting in a class and telling the prof what he or she wants to hear.

So, your point.......?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 102 (329 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

An apology can't be accepted if it isn't offered and none should be offered.

Fair enough, since none should be offered, where did I say that the students should not have gone to this "event" as you suggested?

Makes no difference what you said or didn't say. An apology cannot be accepted if it isn't offered and none was offered, it's that simple.  And I "suggested" nothing, as you "suggest".

Well, of course it matters. But, based on your obvious desire to play games rather than honestly discuss - ta-ta.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 102 (332 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

In other words you cannot find any postings from the Right criticizing protests against Obama when he was in office.

No "other words" just common sense. If you have a point to make, make it. Don't tell someone else to "look it up".

By the way, there is a big difference between "protesting" and protesting with bricks and clubs while wearing masks and bandannas. Also, there is a difference between protesting government policy and protesting another's right to free speech (as is often the case with the neo-Marxist mobs in the street).

I made my point, I guess it was missed. The point is that you cannot find any postings of the Right criticizing any protests against  Obama when he was in office. And yes, some of those protests resulted in violence.

The repeated "brick and clubs", "wearing masks", and "Neo-Marxist mobs" isn't working.

Got it. YOUR point is that I cannot find anything to make your point. A truly interesting approach to "honest discussion".

As to "brick and clubs", "wearing masks", and "Neo-Marxist mobs" not working - that is true. It is not having a positive effect on the electorate.

On the other hand, mobs have won at various places in history. Remember, the Bolsheviks represented only 7% of the population. So, who knows.........you guys (generic) might win after all. If you do - can I count on you putting a good word in for me??

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 102 (342 Views)

pc6063 wrote:

Tx/--personal??  no-just drawing  on comments you've made in prior posts in which you have often said you did well on a high school education.  

Sorry you feel the way you do, I can tell you that I have never been in a college classroom that didn't encourage kids to get out and experience for them selves cultural and political changes that impact both themselves and their country.  In total I sat in a college classroom for 8 1/2 years,  having three advanced degrees to my credit and being only three credits short of a fourth.   Also, I have at least two friends who teach on the college level,  which means I am fairly well apprised of what is happening in today's college classrooms.

--

You forget that the military offers college level courses?  Plus advanced training in many areas?  I believe my comments about high school was that I received my diploma and the next day went into the Air Force.  And there were educational opportunities to take advantage of there.

But I would suppose that if I had gathered that our children was being politically indoctrinated in college, I would have refused to pay their tuition or assisted them in any way.   

As far as degrees, they mean nothing on a discussion forum behind the anonymity of a computer screen and where everyone is on a pretty well equal level.  But much can be gathered by what a person posts and how they post it, plus the sum of their posts by picking up on small details. 

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 102 (350 Views)

Tx/--personal??  no-just drawing  on comments you've made in prior posts in which you have often said you did well on a high school education.  

Sorry you feel the way you do, I can tell you that I have never been in a college classroom that didn't encourage kids to get out and experience for them selves cultural and political changes that impact both themselves and their country.  In total I sat in a college classroom for 8 1/2 years,  having three advanced degrees to my credit and being only three credits short of a fourth.   Also, I have at least two friends, and a half dozen asdociates, who teach on the college level,  which means I am fairly well apprised of what is happening in today's college classrooms.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!

Message 6 of 102 (354 Views)

pc6063 wrote:

Tx- it is appropriate many college and high school settings to talk about politics you have no idea where the professor stands.   And you have absolutely no idea what criteria he used for this event.  As someone who admits he has never gone to college, you also have no idea what transpires in a college classroom.

Please read my prior post and this might help you understand what is college professor was doing.

--

I'm not sure what you are attempting to say about 'someone who has never gone to college', if it is in regards to myself, then you are wrong.  Sounds like you are attempting to make this personal.   I am well aware of what goes on in a college classroom.  And in addition I have had three children who has college degrees.  I am aware that they went there to learn, not engage in political activities.  And their resultant salary levels indicate that.

As far as the college professor, of course she was encouraging them in partisan politics.  These kids parents were wasting their money there.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 102 (358 Views)

Tx- it is appropriate many college and high school settings to talk about politics you have no idea where the professor stands.   And you have absolutely no idea what criteria he used for this event.  As someone who admits he has never gone to college, you also have no idea what transpires in a college classroom.

Please read my prior post and this might help you understand what is college professor was doing.

Message 8 of 102 (366 Views)

pc6063 wrote:

Tx

When students participate in events such as this,  the work they do is much more complex then it would be to just study for a test.

--

Of course it is just conjecture that all of those activities took place.  Plus this is at university level and not public schools.   And there was no mention of paperwork except participating in a political demonstration in lieu of final exams.  And of course we see that the professor is in charge of this since the authorities went to her as the organizer with their concerns.

Regardless, this was a political demonstration as indicated, organized by the apparent liberal professor and even perhaps directed by her since she had control over the students activities.  Nice try.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 102 (371 Views)

Tx

discussions and research are done before, notes and observations must be made during,  papers must be written after, sometimes debates are also scheduled after- however because this was a final the debates probably took place prior to the event.

no outside of campus event, of any sort, entails much more work on the part of both the teachers and the students,  then does a paper and pencil test. 

Been there, done that! 

Message 10 of 102 (385 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

So you know why the students were there and you know the professor's politics? I think not.

--

Her politics is apparent since it appears from the link in the first post of this topic that she was in charge of it...perhaps even doing the organizing..

The part about "Police then warned Maldonado directly, the paper said, and the group finally gave pedestrians enough room to walk" indicates she was in charge.

Of course the students having a choice between studying for final exams or demonstrating, no doubt they took the easy way out.