ACA Open Enrollment Ends Today. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Prescription Drugs

Message 1 of 13

This is MY personal hot button issue. Real pain patients are getting skrood. Opiods are not new. They have always been addictive.. the idiots that said THEIR opiod was not addictive..right. yeah. ask a junkie. its a created crises, and the loser is the ones in real pain. Ive even had a genetic liver test that basically says the way i process drugs makes me LESS likely to get addicted. Once again, a SUGGESTION or GUIDELINE is influencing Doctors, and pharmices, and Insurance coverage.

Im sitting here now sweating over what my grandson wants to do tonight..will i be able to?

Ill stop now, but if anyone wants a fight about this..im in, and you better be armed. I have pictures of whats causing my pain.

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 13

rker321 wrote:

So, the only pain killers in the market are opiods?
Are there any other types of drugs that will deal with pain and not be an opiod?

Do people have tried other methods before they actually go on opiods?

No judgement just   simply asking questions.
I does indicate to me that when you need to have a pain medicine  for years, it may indicate that you have already some kind of addiction. is that a true statment?

Yes there are, but opiods are the most effective for a lot of people. ANd yes i have been thru it all. If PT doesnt work this time, I have to get an electronic pain control device implanted.

So it begins.
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 13

Use to be on perscription drugs for depression, pain, heartburn put up with the side effects for about 5 years. I then had enough took control and weened myself off them went to homeopathic and natural remidies and never been better. When I go to the DR.s they are amazed that someone my age doesn't have a list of drugs to report. People make fun of searcching for answers on the interenet but I have better results than I ever got from a Dr.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 13

So, the only pain killers in the market are opiods?
Are there any other types of drugs that will deal with pain and not be an opiod?

Do people have tried other methods before they actually go on opiods?

No judgement just   simply asking questions.
I does indicate to me that when you need to have a pain medicine  for years, it may indicate that you have already some kind of addiction. is that a true statment?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 13

Vioxx helped me until they outlawed that.

Message 6 of 13
Then there are people like me with a degenerative condition. It will never get better, only worse, and yes, there is a lot of pain. I was on low dose opioids for 10 years, and since the govt took action to save WV, I was taken off the medication that allowed me to function. I no longer go outside. I have to hire things done instad of do them myself. I cant enjoy my grandkids. Heroin overdoses are up because people in PAIN had their meds taken away, and yes kids, pain can hurt. it drives people to suicide. Opiods have been around forever. yes, addiction is bad, but the knee jerk reaction is just as bad. There was a CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT in Maine that put the decision back between the doctor and the patient, where it belongs. Too many people in Maine were having to go on disability because their PAIN was not controlled.
So it begins.
Gold Conversationalist

Message 7 of 13

I have been on Oxycodone for 5 years now and have managed to get myself down to 15-20 mg a day! Any lower than that and I so sick I want to be put down, like a dog! I blame the big pharmaceutical companies first, they took all the pain meds off the market that we could just take when in pain. These you have to take or you will get sick. I also have to go to a pain mgmt dr-another bill & am drug tested every 3 months, more $$! It's a legal racket! Yet pot is so bad for us! Upside down and backward!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 13

Hey rker , Have your hubby try water therapy and yoga for his arthritis. It's worth a shot because it helps all kinds of folk and you can jump in with him. Good luck kids !!!

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 13

ellynmae wrote:

I had a medication mix-up when my generic medication totally changed size and color so I mistook it foe another of my medications. It's hard to keep up with the changes. 

All of our medications are generic since we get them through Express Scripts.  I use a daily organizer which I fill each Sunday, and in doing so I read the labels carefully.  Over the years they have changed some because of the manufacturer, but basically retains the shape due to industry standards.

http://www.webmd.com/pill-identification/default.htm

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 13

Frankly, I believe that many doctors are very happy to simply prescribe pain killers to anyone that has a pain.

My husband went to urgent care because of back pain, well, they gave him a pain killer. I looked at the prescription and told my husband, this is an opiod. you want to get addicted? Stick to Tylenol and if not enough, grin and bear it.
try to deal with the pain, manage the pain. He has arthritis, that is not going to change.  learn to live as comfortable as he can.
We are accostumeed to pop a pill for everything.  it is an easy fix.
And Doctors are a lot to blame for any of this.
I just told my doctor, to really take a look at the medicines that i am taking and see which ones I can stop or reduce the miligrams.
I remember when I first was diagnose as a Diabetes 2  2008.  instead of putting me on a pre diabetes diet and follow up, they gave me pills. My diabetes  has alwayd been practically non existant. my A1c  has been 5.8 or 5.9  and now I lost weight ant my last A1C is 5.2. give a good reason as to why I have to be on pills. I hate to take any medicine. and they don't always fix the problem that we may have.
Well, that is what happens, lack of follow up. by the doctors. and easy presctiption drugs.