Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Politics as jobs, not lifetime pay and benefits

Message 41 of 51 (133 Views)

I think when we leave out blame and focus on making real change, we remove the distraction. Much more can be accomplished reasonably when we can remain objective to the task at hand.

Harry
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 42 of 51 (147 Views)
Ah such a fair and honest thought. Why cannot we change without blame? Even the best of ideas and material things have a life expectancy. When our tires become thin, do we blame the road or simply change them to keep us safe?
Harry
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 43 of 51 (148 Views)
Yes to 2 terms on all positions. I apologize for not being more specific.
Harry
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 44 of 51 (146 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:
I have replied I think to each question in the other comments. I hope we can all join together and NOT just be a comment but a snowball on a very tall mountain.

Well no,  you did not respond to "what about the good ones?"  Are you looking for set term limits for every position?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 45 of 51 (147 Views)

Good points once more.....I think I understand the perspective you have from where you stand.  Let's make it a given that things are considerably less acceptable than when we had 'statesmen and stateswomen' who really did do the peoples work.  So..........then to whom do we attribute blame in the end?  After all, somebody put these current clowns in office by 'electing' them.  That is how this happened, isn't it?  Just sayin'....Pogo very likely was right one more time, donchathink?

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 46 of 51 (138 Views)
I have replied I think to each question in the other comments. I hope we can all join together and NOT just be a comment but a snowball on a very tall mountain.
Harry
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 47 of 51 (135 Views)
You make some good points and bring up issues that have been brought up many many times before.
If we act as a team and push we Can achieve these goals. Are you willing to stand up and be heard? Its that one small voice that starts to sing and adds more to become an amazing choir! Its not by force but by unity our song will be heard and the louder we sing, the more we can accomplish.

Harry
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 48 of 51 (117 Views)
Thank you for the welcome! I am new and yes there is a bit of hostility although I will not bring that into the discussion. I will say not all are bad. If you set term limits, and make that a position and not a career with lifetime benefits, it does several things. New blood and fresh ideas to start. It would also bring a bit more accountability to the offices.
If they operated as we do on a job, received the same benefits, do you think they would be cutting our programs? I highly doubt it. Only when you work in tandem are goals and outcomes the same or very similar.
When I referred to the gold spoon it was a metaphor. Simply put, our taxes pay for the benefits they receive and yet do they REALLY have our best interests at heart when they cut programs because they rob Peter to pay Paul? Full accountability is possible if we ALL join and fight for a common goal. Yes together we Can do this!
Harry
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 49 of 51 (106 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:

I think its way past time to make major changes in political futures. If we really want to protect our futures AND save money, set a 2 term limit, end lifetime medical benefits for ALL polititions and give them the SAME health coverage as they vote in for us. After they complete their term or terms in office, let them Cobra pay insurance, unemployment for 26 weeks and find a new job. Why should they be entitled to a gold spoon? We should not have to pay for them when all they do is rob us and protect themselves. It must stop or we are all done for.

You make some good points and bring up issues that have been brought up many many times before.

So OK  now what do you think the chances of this happening are?  and what about the good ones? Do you toss them out as well?  or send them off to another position in politics or go away if they don't make it?  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 50 of 51 (102 Views)

Doesn't seem I've seen you here before, harry.  Welcome or welcome back or whatever fits.  Always nice to see a new kid on the block....

Pretty good suggestions, harry.  Guess you're fed up.  Me too.  I hope you won't mind if I just spread your post out and sneak a few comments in between.  Here goes.

harrys284491 wrote:

I think its way past time to make major changes in political futures.

Boy have you got that right.

If we really want to protect our futures AND save money, set a 2 term limit, end lifetime medical benefits for ALL polititions and give them the SAME health coverage as they vote in for us.

Well....maximum two terms period for any one 'elective' office works for me. Politicians couldn't  'homestead' an office. The PARTY won't like it...either one.  That works for me, too.  As far as medical is concerned,...figure out how everyone gets the same medical benefits for life and that wouldn't be an issue. Sound fair?

After they complete their term or terms in office, let them Cobra pay insurance, unemployment for 26 weeks and find a new job.

Well...they might have to get a whole new career.  Politics is pretty specialized and they might not be marketable on the open job market. Then too...time they take off from their 'profession' or 'occupation'  would affect their profiency.  I'm not sure 26 weeks unemployment compensation or retraining would restore all of them to the proficiency they had when they left their former job to 'serve the people'. That sounds punitive for doing what should be a good thing.  That doesn't sound right. Maybe we should think about that a bit more. I do see what 'twists your tail', though.

Why should they be entitled to a gold spoon?

Well...of course they are not at all 'entitled' to a gold spoon or a gold parachute or anything else. They have to earn it IF it is there at all. That means you have to have a way to get rid of the dead wood before it petrifies.

We should not have to pay for them when all they do is rob us and protect themselves. It must stop or we are all done for.

Now, now...they don't all do that.  I think that's just your temper talking.  I think you really do know better than that.  The only reason this whole country is still around is because some of 'them' do their jobs despite all the bad press.  I do agree, though, that IF 'all of them' treated their jobs the way you say you think they do, it sure would have to stop...and yesterday is too late. 

But you sure do have some good points to make.  Some right on the nose.