AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Super Social Butterfly

Re: Politics as jobs, not lifetime pay and benefits

Message 31 of 51 (169 Views)

Take the money out of politics.   Change campaign financing.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 32 of 51 (171 Views)
I am not Republican, Democrat or Independent. I am however an American and want my Country back!
Harry
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 33 of 51 (159 Views)

Imo term limits invariably work against the will of the people and place more power into well paid, non government actors who have only special interests at heart.  When hiring a heart surgeon or a plumber, you generally look for experience.  A one term Senator will only have seen six budget cycles and the aftermath.  A lobbyist will have seen 15 or more. 

Limiting Senators (for example) to two terms would mean the good Senator has to start shopping for his next job after 10 years. His second term is, by definition, a lame duck. 

So, the use of term limits gives you inexperienced employees who are always looking for their next job.  Ask any employer if that is the situation they prefer. 

Message 34 of 51 (163 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:
So if you have given up on the electorate, where does change happen? It is a conundrum no matter how we approach the issue. Yes there are very loyal and trusted servants but many times more who are a wolf in sheepskin. Those wolves know the game, how to circumvent the rules to make it work for themselves more than for others who do care. They make it hard if not impossible to pass any really meaningful changes.
I am looking for US to find ideas, create a real dialog on what we can do to initiate change vs just talk with no substance. I want change as do many others and I know by the responses I have seen, We have the intellect to form a solid and fundamental base to start. There is a collaboration of wisdom, experience and common sense within this group to offer amazing suggestions. I for one look forward to each response with respect and an open mind.

If you have given up on the electorate, and  are asking for a non-representative form of government.........you are a Republican. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 35 of 51 (154 Views)
So if you have given up on the electorate, where does change happen? It is a conundrum no matter how we approach the issue. Yes there are very loyal and trusted servants but many times more who are a wolf in sheepskin. Those wolves know the game, how to circumvent the rules to make it work for themselves more than for others who do care. They make it hard if not impossible to pass any really meaningful changes.
I am looking for US to find ideas, create a real dialog on what we can do to initiate change vs just talk with no substance. I want change as do many others and I know by the responses I have seen, We have the intellect to form a solid and fundamental base to start. There is a collaboration of wisdom, experience and common sense within this group to offer amazing suggestions. I for one look forward to each response with respect and an open mind.
Harry

Message 36 of 51 (168 Views)

I was reading the Constitution and I discovered this really cool way to enforce term limits .  They call them "elections".  Something about "will of the people".

Super Social Butterfly

Message 37 of 51 (172 Views)

I have worked for politicians.   Yes, many of them are opportunists, drunk on the power and the money, although many arrive in office already quite wealthy.

But some are truly dedicated to being the best public servants possible.   And I'd be very hesitant to knock them out with term limits. 

The stuff they have to propose, consider, and ultimately approve can be very complicated, and have wide-ranging impacts.  When you kick people out after two terms, they have never had the time to become subject matter experts in whatever their particular committee work is.  

And who do they turn to?   People like me, career staffers, who've been around for decades.   Staff are the long-term, in-house subject matter experts. The other experts are lobbyists.   

The biggest problem with that, IMO, is that you can't fire career staff and you can't fire lobbyists.  Politicians, at least, you can fire with your vote.  

And in the less common scenario where you've got an amazing politician who is intelligent, knowledgable, and ethical enough to care about good governance, you don't ever want to lose him/her.   

The ideal solution, of course, is to have a highly-educated and involved electorate, who can weed out the ones who need to be out.  But I've pretty much given up on that, though. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 38 of 51 (182 Views)

I've always had an issue with term limits for the simple reason that we need experience, just like in any other job, and kicking people off the job is not helpful (imho).

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 39 of 51 (195 Views)
I understand your point and yes for those few who do genuinely serve us, it is unfortunate. However for those who do not, the limits would force change. Sadly when it comes to election time, many do not vote but simply find they are to busy or don't care enough to bother.
Harry

Message 40 of 51 (202 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:
Yes to 2 terms on all positions. I apologize for not being more specific.

No problem.  I have mixed feelings on yer limits. I also have to say that we have an opportunity to make change at election time.  Politicians serving for many years are sometimes doing a great job, are loved by the voters and serve a happy public.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith