Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Politics as jobs, not lifetime pay and benefits

Message 21 of 51 (161 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:
I would agree with that. Public financing of all campaigns. Limits on when a campaign can start relative to election day. Mandatory fact checking by a neutral third party.
That is something I said years ago in a letter to the editor. Is it fair to campaign a year or more before an election when you are in office supposedly working? Public financing and total transparency on all donations over a certain limit. Fact checking as well by a non partisan group. I would also enjoy seeing the electoral college dismantled!

We have mandatory "start dates" in New Mexico on campaigns. It means a lot of background work prior to the day you can actually put up signs.  I think it makes for better organized campaigns too. 

I have mixed feelings about the electoral college. The cartoon below is probably pretty accurate on how presidential candidates would approach elections. On the other hand, they would be forced to appeal across state lines and that might force a more levelling effect. I am not sure. 

WithoutElecoralCollege.jpg

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 22 of 51 (153 Views)
I agree and will tell you I had not thought about that. I was raised that no matter what you do, do it well and with integrity even if it is short term. How things and ideals change.
Harry
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 23 of 51 (161 Views)
I would agree with that. Public financing of all campaigns. Limits on when a campaign can start relative to election day. Mandatory fact checking by a neutral third party.
That is something I said years ago in a letter to the editor. Is it fair to campaign a year or more before an election when you are in office supposedly working? Public financing and total transparency on all donations over a certain limit. Fact checking as well by a non partisan group. I would also enjoy seeing the electoral college dismantled!
Harry

[ Edited ]
Message 24 of 51 (150 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:
Sorry Rickva, I am on laptop and the site is not acting quite right. The responses are overlapping so going to log out, reboot and try again. It may just be my settings. I look forward to your input.

No worries. This was my response to campaign finance changes: 

I would agree with that.  Public financing of all campaigns. Limits on when a campaign can start relative to election day.  Mandatory fact checking by a neutral third party. 

and this was my comment on term limits:

Imo term limits invariably work against the will of the people and place more power into well paid, non government actors who have only special interests at heart.  When hiring a heart surgeon or a plumber, you generally look for experience.  A one term Senator will only have seen six budget cycles and the aftermath.  A lobbyist will have seen 15 or more. 

Limiting Senators (for example) to two terms would mean the good Senator has to start shopping for his next job after 10 years. His second term is, by definition, a lame duck. 

So, the use of term limits gives you inexperienced employees who are always looking for their next job.  Ask any employer if that is the situation they prefer. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 25 of 51 (129 Views)
Sorry Rickva, I am on laptop and the site is not acting quite right. The responses are overlapping so going to log out, reboot and try again. It may just be my settings. I look forward to your input.
Harry

Message 26 of 51 (128 Views)

NerdyMom wrote:

Edited:  Sorry, you weren't addressing me, were you?

You are putting words in my mouth.  I never said anything about a non-representative form of government.   ????

I was acutually taking advantage of an opportunity I saw in your comment to tweak the Republicans here.  Just good natured trash talk.  Slide down a bit you will see my impressions on term limits after my trash talk post.  I felt you deserved a straight answer to a legitimate question.  I also responded to Nerdymom  on my thought of campaign reform.  I will repost if you don't find it. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 27 of 51 (126 Views)
My mistake and I apologize. It is sometimes hard to tell the real meaning in text form. Its too bad many of us are not closer to have a sit down because I know there are some amazing minds and ideas here.
Harry

Message 28 of 51 (111 Views)

NerdyMom wrote:

Take the money out of politics.   Change campaign financing.

I would agree with that.  Public financing of all campaigns. Limits on when a campaign can start relative to election day.  Mandatory fact checking by a neutral third party. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 29 of 51 (111 Views)
What are your ideas on how to achieve this? Seriously interested.
Harry
Regular Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 30 of 51 (108 Views)

Richva wrote:

harrys284491 wrote:
So if you have given up on the electorate, where does change happen? It is a conundrum no matter how we approach the issue. Yes there are very loyal and trusted servants but many times more who are a wolf in sheepskin. Those wolves know the game, how to circumvent the rules to make it work for themselves more than for others who do care. They make it hard if not impossible to pass any really meaningful changes.
I am looking for US to find ideas, create a real dialog on what we can do to initiate change vs just talk with no substance. I want change as do many others and I know by the responses I have seen, We have the intellect to form a solid and fundamental base to start. There is a collaboration of wisdom, experience and common sense within this group to offer amazing suggestions. I for one look forward to each response with respect and an open mind.

If you have given up on the electorate, and  are asking for a non-representative form of government.........you are a Republican. 

You are putting words in my mouth.  I never said anything about a non-representative form of government.   ????

Edited:  Sorry, you weren't addressing me, were you?