Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Politics as jobs, not lifetime pay and benefits

Message 11 of 51 (155 Views)

Im on win10 with explorer. It is faster but very few google ads since I switched. I prefer it now so staying with it. Many sites are faster on my cell, but its too hard for me to read or reply with the ease I can this way.

Harry
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 51 (155 Views)

@harrys284491  I'm using Safari on a MacBookPro, so my view should be yours too. Maybe. Possibly. Oh, who knows. :0) 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 13 of 51 (161 Views)

Thank you for the tips and the welcome! I found being on laptop that there are differences in the display, posting and reply functions so I will need to figure these out yet. I am looking for ideas on creating change in our political system. I hear many great ideas but find a reluctance in participation beyond that. So much talent, intellect and experience among the users in the forum.

I had issues being jerked around by the system and seen its major flaws first hand. It was not what started this quest but it set a fire in my soul to bring change. Even if I get things enacted, the task at hand I have chosen will never be completed. My ultimate goal is to return to the original Constitution as much as possible and what it stood for. I know things are outdated but the sad fact is that corporations of all kinds, send in thier lobbiests to create self protect laws to protect them and the profits. A prime example was the Monsanto Protection act. I use this one for a reason. Many of its lawyers, board members past and present have or are serving in our government allowing legislation, testing and use of products without proper safe guards. Monsanto so protects itself that it uses its OWN inhouse testing to say its safe. Now we deal with GMOs loose in our enviorment, feeding us and our food sources. If we look back to when much of this hit the market, not long after a long list of health issues took over. The damage is done and cannot be reversed. Pharacuticles also know that a cure does not make stock holders money, treatment does. Its why money goes to research for treatments and not cures. Corruption, waste is everywhere and until we change it, they make money at our expence. Do you think Equifax cared when they saved money instead of doing thier job to protect our information? It was all about profits and yes they admitted it. Form your own opinions but politics no longer serves in our best interest in any way, shape or form.

Harry

[ Edited ]
Message 14 of 51 (162 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:

I think when we leave out blame and focus on making real change, we remove the distraction. Much more can be accomplished reasonably when we can remain objective to the task at hand.

@harrys284491  Go Harry! (And welcome to the forums)

A couple of tips for being better understood:

To make certain all readers know what specifically you are addessing: hit the 'reply' button on a particular post, then hit the quote button on the upper right side of the composition screen.  You can trim quoted text to reflect the specific language to which you are responding.

And it's good to use the @ reply function like I did here. To do so, type an ampersand. A drop down menu of current thread participants will appear. Choose the person to whom you wish to reply. 

And you are off to the races. Smiley Happy

Best wishes,

Epster

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 15 of 51 (200 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:
Possibly however I think if there was more faith in in system of politics, more would vote and the tides would turn. Bernie did a great job of inspiring new blood but the aftermath created a lot of bad karma. I still think we need to take back the power of the vote. I have no trust in it and I know many more who feel the same way.

Taking back the power of the vote is an excellent idea. I have been working with Bernie supporters and they tend to want to tear things down. I would be more impressed if they worked voter registration or door to door canvassing. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 16 of 51 (197 Views)
That is one h*ll of a scary thought. Welcome to the discussion Mlseker.
Harry
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 17 of 51 (191 Views)
Possibly however I think if there was more faith in in system of politics, more would vote and the tides would turn. Bernie did a great job of inspiring new blood but the aftermath created a lot of bad karma. I still think we need to take back the power of the vote. I have no trust in it and I know many more who feel the same way.
Harry

Message 18 of 51 (185 Views)
Yes, Rich. Michigan has been all down hill since term limits. No institutional knowledge. We actually have lobbyists training legislators.
So it begins.

Message 19 of 51 (164 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:
IMHO, the electoral college is outdated. A serious question for you though. When was the last time a president was elected by "we the people" vs the electoral vote? Are the elections actually supposed to be by popular vote? If that is true then why was this instituted and who does it serve? And yes I am expecting some dark humor but mixed in with the facts lol.

Most states have a policy of the electoral college voting with the majority of the state.  It may be all of them. I don't remember hearing of a state electoral college going against the state popular vote. That being the case, it becomes a mathematical quirk of number of EC votes vs size of the popular vote.  In the last few years, that has benefited Republicans and hurt Democrats. 

Now remember, you really change the whole calculation if you lose the electoral college.  I grew up in northwest Ohio and we were much more homogeneous with southeast Michigan than the southern parts of our state. So, losing the EC would create a new voting map based on homogeneous areas rather than state boundaries. Certainly cities would get much more attention. 

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 20 of 51 (166 Views)
IMHO, the electoral college is outdated. A serious question for you though. When was the last time a president was elected by "we the people" vs the electoral vote? Are the elections actually supposed to be by popular vote? If that is true then why was this instituted and who does it serve? And yes I am expecting some dark humor but mixed in with the facts lol.
Harry