The House Bill Would Mean a Tax Hike for Millions of Seniors. Learn More

Bronze Conversationalist

Re: Politics as jobs, not lifetime pay and benefits

Message 1 of 51 (186 Views)
Switching back to chrome and see if that helps.
I do believe strongly or I would not try so hard to find ideas and answers. It is hard at times when you feel yourself beating your head against a wall that wont give. If I wasn't so passionate in my beliefs I doubt I would bother. If I can help one person avoid the hell I went thru, I am happy. I know many have sacrificed much more and my thoughts and prayers go out to them. In some small way though I am just hoping I can make a small difference.
Thank you Umbarch for your guidance and support.
Harry
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 51 (194 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:

Form your own opinions but politics no longer serves in our best interest in any way, shape or form.

Hang in there harry, you're doing great. 

I replied to you by punching 'reply' at the bottom of your post and when the response box came up, punched 'quote'.  When the entire post came up I moved the cursor just above the above sentence left clicked and ran the cursor to the top....the text all turned blue.  I released the click, went to the keyboard and punched the delete key.  The text I didn't want to deal with went away and I was left with the above to respond to.  The entire post will be directly below the reply box and can be referred to if needed without messing around elsewhere.

Your sentence above needs for you to think about it just a bit more.  Politics is and will always be part of any government.  It isn't politics, per se, that is the problem it is the corrupt people practicing politics.  So.....please take another look at what you said.  I don't really think you mean to say what the words mean....especially if you value our constitution.

I changed the color to set my response apart from your post by once more clicking on the bottom of the text, running the cursor to the top so it was highlighted in blue and clicked to keep it there.  Then I went to the control symbols at the top, clicked on the down arrow next to the A to get a drop down box with colors of text shown, clicked on the one you see, clicked on the text and there it is.

Maybe you knew all that already, but in case you didn't, I thought I'd help out.  

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 51 (195 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:

Bad karma in the form of the party using him to inspire voters then nominating Hillary. Imho it was a very bad move but its in the past.

My attention is already focused on 2020 and making any possible changes I can within the system to make things better. It is why I started this post. Ideas, Ideas and more ideas with an open mind, intelligent opinions from others and logic base of wisdom and experience.

Ok have at it. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 4 of 51 (212 Views)

Bad karma in the form of the party using him to inspire voters then nominating Hillary. Imho it was a very bad move but its in the past.

My attention is already focused on 2020 and making any possible changes I can within the system to make things better. It is why I started this post. Ideas, Ideas and more ideas with an open mind, intelligent opinions from others and logic base of wisdom and experience.

Harry
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 5 of 51 (214 Views)

It took hours of reading to find but here it is: This post is for informational purposes only and not to incite a riot of any form!

Declaration of Independence states:

“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to affect their Safety and Happiness.”

Harry
Respected Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 51 (222 Views)

harrys284491 wrote:
Possibly however I think if there was more faith in in system of politics, more would vote and the tides would turn. Bernie did a great job of inspiring new blood but the aftermath created a lot of bad karma. I still think we need to take back the power of the vote. I have no trust in it and I know many more who feel the same way.

What sort of  "bad karma" ?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Bronze Conversationalist

Message 7 of 51 (233 Views)
Now any ideas on how to begin such a task? I have felt the same way for years but getting big money out of the equation is a monumental task.
I do believe it is written in the constitution that if the government is NOT working for the people, it can be changed. I apologize as I have not read the articles in many years so I know my wording of it is off.
Harry
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 51 (269 Views)

mandm84 wrote:

The latest corruption of our Democracy was the GOP backed " Citizen's United " plutocratic decision. That must be reversed !!!

The Founders created this government to be a representative republic and at first made sure that they were the only ones with voice within government. Rich White Men running everything, even the only ones who could vote. The masses have struggled since the inception to gain equality and power in government. Much was done but the Elites have pushed back, destroyed unions and eliminating their lobbying efforts, taking control of our elected officials through spending $$Billion$$ in lobbying and in our elections.  Yep, much of this needs reversed .......... but how?

Public funded elections virtually eliminating our campaign finance system, and public funded elections is the only path I see.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 51 (298 Views)

The latest corruption of our Democracy was the GOP backed " Citizen's United " plutocratic decision. That must be reversed !!! Sorry If Im a bit off topic , but Corporations are not people. Even If we reduce to two terms , we dont need billionaire lobbyist dictating to Congress.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 51 (301 Views)

Just my opinion:

Term limits alone will never fix the problem in Washington nor in state level politics. Placing 'green' politicians into an environment such as our Congress  is futile. It takes years to learn how to produce anything in a Congress so adulterated by the $Billions$ of Corporate and elite dollars polluting our political and elections processes.

Our system needs changing to a more parliamentary type of representation, something similar to what Canada has. They have public funded elections, a limited amount of funds to campaign on and time limits on their campaigning offers.  As a result they have a government that is made up of people/personalities that is a much more accurate cross section of the attitudes, needs and desires of their populace that far more represents the needs of their society as a whole instead of the best for those only at the top 1% like America has become.  Ordinary everyday people become members of Parliament like plumbers, bricklayers, small business owners, teachers, etc.  They are beholding only to their constituents, the voter base, nothing owed to big donors, the corporations or the elites. A pipe dream hoping for changes such as this.

But ................ public funded elections and doing away with the Electoral vote would certainly move us into the right direction. People paying a small tax to fund elections would likely influence larger voter turnout. The more voters, the more our representatives would have to pay attention to the masses. Removing the $Billions$ in corporate and elite money from our law making and campaign processes would free our politicians to do what is best for the whole rather that the upper 2% to 3%.

One can dream ..............

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"