Ask Your Questions About Open Enrollment At AARP’s Webinar ‘Medicare: Your Questions Answered’ at 7 p.m. ET. Register Here

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: New Republican Party

Message 1 of 49 (26 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

Fishslayer777 wrote:
Should I refuse to accept what my employer and I paid for? I earned those benefits, every single penny.
My former employer gave me the opportunity to take a pension or lump sum and provided ample opportunity to invest the way I wanted. I'd like that opportunity as well, from uncle sam.

Do you believe opportunities and choices are bad?

Your pension and Social Security are two different animals. SS is not a pension program.

SS is an earned benefit.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 49 (27 Views)

afisher wrote:

Please ignore all the roadblocks that some put in the way for people who are working very hard to succeed.   

If someone is ignoring that then perhaps they may be selectively ignorant.     And please return or reject your government funded pension ( social security check) and government funded healthcare ( Medicare), not to mention Government discounted drugs ( Medicare Part D) and discounted end of life care

(Hospice) or Veteran Benefits, etc etc etc.   

An honest discussion of benefits requires an understanding and acceptance of the difference between benefits based on contribution to society (earned benefits) and benefits based on need. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 49 (39 Views)

Fishslayer777 wrote:
Call it what you decide, a name makes little difference on what people use it for. I earned it, It's mine and all I want is an opportunity to invest my dollars and my employers dollars as I see fit. Yes... it's only a wishful thinking for an opportunity to control what is mine. I hold out until I'm 70 to take SS, just incase an opportunity presents itself.

Does my wish for an opportunity to invest my portion sound unreasonable? I like choices.

Rattle on all you want, SS is not a pension nor an investment plan.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 49 (46 Views)
Call it what you decide, a name makes little difference on what people use it for. I earned it, It's mine and all I want is an opportunity to invest my dollars and my employers dollars as I see fit. Yes... it's only a wishful thinking for an opportunity to control what is mine. I hold out until I'm 70 to take SS, just incase an opportunity presents itself.

Does my wish for an opportunity to invest my portion sound unreasonable? I like choices.

Hate is not a Christian virtue, neither is liberal sanctimony
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 49 (61 Views)

Fishslayer777 wrote:
Should I refuse to accept what my employer and I paid for? I earned those benefits, every single penny.
My former employer gave me the opportunity to take a pension or lump sum and provided ample opportunity to invest the way I wanted. I'd like that opportunity as well, from uncle sam.

Your pension and Social Security are two different animals. SS is not a pension program.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"

Message 6 of 49 (63 Views)

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 49 (74 Views)

Please ignore all the roadblocks that some put in the way for people who are working very hard to succeed.   

If someone is ignoring that then perhaps they may be selectively ignorant.     And please return or reject your government funded pension ( social security check) and government funded healthcare ( Medicare), not to mention Government discounted drugs ( Medicare Part D) and discounted end of life care

(Hospice) or Veteran Benefits, etc etc etc.   

Message 8 of 49 (98 Views)
We forget what the hallmark of American exceptionalism is.... the land of opportunity. Opportunity knows no party, isn't aligned with any ideology, doesn't require a religion to work, and most importantly is an inalienable right.

Our democratic friends wish that to be changed to dependency producing government opportunity. Pay to play, redistribution of wealth, get in line, follow or leave, my way or the highway.

Government need only ensure the door of opportunity remain open.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 49 (113 Views)

CriticalThinking wrote:

I've always been an Independent, I never liked either party. As of today, the Democratic Party is pathetic but the new Republican Party is no longer recognizable. Solid, respectiable conservatives like Reagan and Bush senior, would be outcasts in today's Republican Party. 

The Republican Party has become a party of bigots, white nationalists, extremists, and they are now the kings of hypocrisy.

Yes, changes have occurred on the political landscape. JFK would be rejected in the neoMarxist Democratic Party. Hubert Humphrey would be booed of the stage by the activists of the Democratic Party today.

So, I guess we are in agreement - these are not our parents' Parties.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 49 (114 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

Well put. Watching what Trump does and seeing the Republican Party not standing up to him shows what the Republican party has become. Serving the 1% started decades ago and has resulted in the largest income and wealth disparity that America has seen since the 1700's. It's especially sad to see the Republican Party as a whole allowing the Alt-Right and the KKK under their tent.

The Republican Party does and did stand up to him. As a candidate he they opposed him yet he won. So the Republican Party now has a choice - they can see the "will of the people" or they can continue to try to save the old guard establishment.

We were labeled "deplorables" and now we are labeled alt-right and Kluxers. That is of course nonsense but all the hate filled cult has. Like it or not, we are the face of the New Republican Party as the title says.