Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: NFL declines

Message 11 of 18

jimc91 wrote:

In 2012 the NFL had an issue with
Tim Tebow kneeling for each game to pray, they also had an
issue with Tebow wearing John 3:16 as part of his blackout
to avoid glare and made him take it off.

So tell me again how the NFL
supports free speech and expression all of a
sudden...

First, the phrase you are seeking is "better late than never".   This is a great day for America. 

On the Tebow front, I have been trying to find a source that reports anyone making a comment about Tebow praying.  I found a couple of religious, right wing papers who quoted "a person in the crowd" making a disparaging remark but nothing in the mainstream press and nothing by the NFL. I could be wrong here but it sure looks like fake religions news filed under "we are so persecuted". 

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted

Message 12 of 18

In 2012 the NFL had an issue with
Tim Tebow kneeling for each game to pray, they also had an
issue with Tebow wearing John 3:16 as part of his blackout
to avoid glare and made him take it off.

In 2013 the NFL fined Brandon
Marshall for wearing green cleats to raise awareness for
people with mental health disorders.

In 2014 Robert Griffin III (RG3)
entered a post-game press conference wearing a shirt that
said "Know Jesus Know Peace" but was forced to
turn it inside out by an NFL uniform inspector before
speaking at the podium.

In 2015 DeAngelo Williams was fined
for wearing "Find the Cure" eye black for breast
cancer awareness.

In 2015 William Gay was fined for
wearing purple cleats to raise awareness for domestic
violence. (not that the NFL has a domestic violence
problem...)

In 2016 the NFL prevented the
Dallas Cowboys from wearing a decal on their helmet in honor
of 5 Dallas Police officers killed in the line of
duty.

In 2016 the NFL threatened to fine
players who wanted to wear cleats to commemorate the 15th
anniversary of 9/11

So tell me again how the NFL
supports free speech and expression all of a
sudden...

VIMTSTL

Message 13 of 18

Once again, Trump has tried to mislead us  with fake news. On the other hand.

This is a great day for Americans. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

NFL declines

Message 14 of 18

I think it's great to see the NFL stand up to the would be dictator in the White House. I suspect the players told the commissioner they're going to protest no matter what the league does. The NFL has no product without the players. 

I'm watching Dallas to see if any of the players stand up to Jerry Jones. What will Jones do if some of his star players protest during the national anthem?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 18

I thought Aaron Rogers getting everybody to link arms was fantastic, and all he had to do was ask (okay, it was at Lambeau, but still...)

There is NOTHING disrepsectful about protesting injustice, regardless of when and where its done.

What is abhorent is a fake POTUS pretending he supports Vets when he's sending more brave Americans to Afghanistan to DIE for his ego, and preping for a war with Iran and N, Korea. Der Trumper truly is the face of the neoRepublican Party.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 18

Donald will be outraged.   Another of his ignorance about the NFL and that players have quite a bit of power, via their Union.    JJones of Dallas can make threats, but I'm willing to bet a nickel that players are already contacting lawyers on his threat.

Meanwhile, what if the players stand with raised fists, ala 1964 Olympics, they are standing and facing the flag AND protesting against racism.  

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 18

gruffstuff wrote:

http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-blogs-national/nfl-there-has-been-no-change-in-the-current-policy...

NFL declines to change policy regarding national anthem

The NFL's policy allowing players to kneel, sit or otherwise protest during the national anthem before games will remain in place for the time being, according to a joint statement from the league and the NFL Players Association on Wednesday.

The dictator can't dictate? ................ What next, war to whip the people into line behind Trump?

Well, it wouldn't be the first time. 

Recall the Gestapo of Nazi Germany.

And as Trump continues to follow in the footsteps of Hitler, such action should be expected.

Valued Social Butterfly

NFL declines

Message 18 of 18

http://www.abc15.com/sports/sports-blogs-national/nfl-there-has-been-no-change-in-the-current-policy...

NFL declines to change policy regarding national anthem

The NFL's policy allowing players to kneel, sit or otherwise protest during the national anthem before games will remain in place for the time being, according to a joint statement from the league and the NFL Players Association on Wednesday.

The dictator can't dictate? ................ What next, war to whip the people into line behind Trump?