Does Your Loved One Need Care? Tune In at 7 p.m. ET for AARP's 'Family Caregiving Online Series.' Register Now

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Liberals refuse to see themselves as hypocrites

254 Views
Message 141 of 296

 


Fishslayer777 wrote:
@ sp362

Why do you use "we"? You don't represent anything I believe regarding the Electoral College.

Your OWN quote:

"We are a nation of division bought together by political agitation. What seemingly divides us, keeps the flame burning and therefore melts us together as a family of many unequal working parts. If we see our nation as an "organization" of states then we are dead, but if we see ourselves as an organism we are alive and it will be self evident as we self replicate."

 

That is exactly what the Electoral College does NOT do and why it needs to go away.  Have you really thought about the issue or are you just against it because somebody who view as "liberal" has a view about it.

 

As far as use of the word "we" to refer to Citizens of the United States", are you saying only people who believe your same extremist views should be allowed to call themselves a Citizen?

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Liberals refuse to see themselves as hypocrites

260 Views
Message 142 of 296
@ sp362

Why do you use "we"? You don't represent anything I believe regarding the Electoral College.

Hate is not a Christian virtue, neither is liberal sanctimony
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Liberals refuse to see themselves as hypocrites

270 Views
Message 143 of 296

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

sp362 wrote:


So you believe in giving in smaller states a greater voice than people in larger states?  Do you believe in the basics of Democracy?


Of course this is the UNITED STATES and that means that they are all equal. You are saying that the larger states are more important than those likd Rhode Island.


You twist words, that is not at all what sp362 says.  All Americans are important, the popular vote reflects the will of the majority of America's voters.


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Liberals refuse to see themselves as hypocrites

265 Views
Message 144 of 296

Fishslayer777 wrote:


Our current system encourages candidates to campaign state by state.

No it doesn't, you are wrong. They campaign is states where they can win a larger number of electoral votes, unless they think they have that state won already or they think they haven't a chance of winning it.


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Liberals refuse to see themselves as hypocrites

265 Views
Message 145 of 296

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:


Using the popular vote would not mean that California or any other state would elect the president. It would mean that the majority of the votes casted in the entire country would elect the president. But nice try.


Apparently you didn't pay attention to the map of where the most liberal votes was (were) cast.  Another post by the faithful that only believes what they want to believe.  


Another post by the faithful that support Trump because they hated Hilary and choose to blindly defend anything Trump says or does.

 

California and other larger states are part of America. Americans reside in all states.

 

The electoral vote system nullifies many American's votes. If we used the popular vote it would reflect what the majority of Americans wanted. Nothing you have said or will say makes my statement untrue.


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Liberals refuse to see themselves as hypocrites

267 Views
Message 146 of 296

rk9152 wrote:

Not an unusual event, but this thing has gone a bit off center. However, in browsing the words, I came across a very meaningful sentence - "One cannot predict the future, but one can study the past".

 

That was the beauty of what our Founders did for us. They looked back over history, saw what had gone wrong in various points of history and tried to come up with viable alternative to governmental systems previously used.

 

That is why they came up with a very limited form of government. Freedom was not just something the government promised but it was also something that it provided from itself. He who governs least, governs best was and is a very, very wise bit of thinking.

 

On the other hand Liberals see the government as the provider of all that is needed. That sounds good until you consider the dependency it develops. 

 

Think of it this way - consider all the power you would have liked to give to Barack Obama because you trusted him to "do right". Now, consider that you would have been giving that power to the Office of the President. Now, visualize Richard Nixon sitting in the Oval Office  with that power.

 

So, for you system to work, you have to not give all that power to the Presidency but also develop a system whereby the people do not select the President to use those powers - remember there are "rubes", "deplorables", and "bitter clingers" out there who get to vote - in our present system. 

 

Yep, those Founders were pretty smart people. They understood history and they understood human nature.


While the Founders did a great job for their times, they were not infallible.

 

Most of the Founders were in favor of a strong central government since they saw the failures under the Articles of Confederation where each state could go their own way.

 

Liberals are more in favor of a level playing field instead of bowing down to those with the money. I see a lot of so called conservatives who have no problem with wealth redistribution as long as it is from the worker to the oligarchy.

 

Who are these people who want to give the President more power?

 

The people still choose a President even with the Electoral College but some voters are more important than others under the existing system. Or are you suggesting that only certain groups should have the power to appoint a President?

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Liberals refuse to see themselves as hypocrites

265 Views
Message 147 of 296

rk9152 wrote:

Not an unusual event, but this thing has gone a bit off center. However, in browsing the words, I came across a very meaningful sentence - "One cannot predict the future, but one can study the past".

 

That was the beauty of what our Founders did for us. They looked back over history, saw what had gone wrong in various points of history and tried to come up with viable alternative to governmental systems previously used.

 

That is why they came up with a very limited form of government. Freedom was not just something the government promised but it was also something that it provided from itself. He who governs least, governs best was and is a very, very wise bit of thinking.

 

On the other hand Liberals see the government as the provider of all that is needed. That sounds good until you consider the dependency it develops. 

 

Think of it this way - consider all the power you would have liked to give to Barack Obama because you trusted him to "do right". Now, consider that you would have been giving that power to the Office of the President. Now, visualize Richard Nixon sitting in the Oval Office  with that power.

 

So, for you system to work, you have to not give all that power to the Presidency but also develop a system whereby the people do not select the President to use those powers - remember there are "rubes", "deplorables", and "bitter clingers" out there who get to vote - in our present system. 

 

Yep, those Founders were pretty smart people. They understood history and they understood human nature.


You will have to show us where anybody has said the Founders were not smart.  What we have said is that they were not infallible and they made a mistake with the Electoral College.  You will also need to point out where anybody on here has mentioned giving the President MORE power, I have not seen that sentiment.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Liberals refuse to see themselves as hypocrites

268 Views
Message 148 of 296

Not an unusual event, but this thing has gone a bit off center. However, in browsing the words, I came across a very meaningful sentence - "One cannot predict the future, but one can study the past".

 

That was the beauty of what our Founders did for us. They looked back over history, saw what had gone wrong in various points of history and tried to come up with viable alternative to governmental systems previously used.

 

That is why they came up with a very limited form of government. Freedom was not just something the government promised but it was also something that it provided from itself. He who governs least, governs best was and is a very, very wise bit of thinking.

 

On the other hand Liberals see the government as the provider of all that is needed. That sounds good until you consider the dependency it develops. 

 

Think of it this way - consider all the power you would have liked to give to Barack Obama because you trusted him to "do right". Now, consider that you would have been giving that power to the Office of the President. Now, visualize Richard Nixon sitting in the Oval Office  with that power.

 

So, for you system to work, you have to not give all that power to the Presidency but also develop a system whereby the people do not select the President to use those powers - remember there are "rubes", "deplorables", and "bitter clingers" out there who get to vote - in our present system. 

 

Yep, those Founders were pretty smart people. They understood history and they understood human nature.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Liberals refuse to see themselves as hypocrites

291 Views
Message 149 of 296

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

sp362 wrote:

.

Exactly what part of "it has outlived its usefulness" did you not understand.  Basic Math and Algebra.


We are not discussing either Basic Math nor Algebra.


And you refuse to read what I wrote.  All you want to do is tell me I an wrong and use fuzzy logic to back up your position.  That approach is the definition of obstinance and narrow mindedness.  Obviously I was using Math and Algebra as an example.  I am sorry if you do not understand the concepts.

Report Inappropriate Content
Respected Social Butterfly

Re: Liberals refuse to see themselves as hypocrites

290 Views
Message 150 of 296

sp362 wrote:

.

Exactly what part of "it has outlived its usefulness" did you not understand.  Basic Math and Algebra.


We are not discussing either Basic Math nor Algebra.

Report Inappropriate Content