Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Leon Panetta: Obama Should Have Helped Iran Protests in 2009

Message 61 of 115

john258 wrote:

You slipped with that one. You are not supposed to tell everyone that a goal of the far right is to have people die in the streets as a result of what the far right has done. The Gov, of GA already said that and was quoted on it so I do not have to ask him. How many should die in the streets per day to make the far right happy.

I am of a Conservative political bent and have no desire to see people dying in the streets. Where do you get these crazy ideas.

By the way, is Panetta for or against people dying in the streets?

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 62 of 115

john258 wrote:

fangoh45 wrote:

john258 wrote:

jimc91 wrote:

Former Secretary of Defense and Central Intelligence Agency Director Leon Panetta told CNN’s Jake Tapper on Tuesday evening that his old boss, then-President Barack Obama, should have done more to support the Iran protests of 2009.

In 2009, Obama infamously refused to back the “Green Revolution,” telling reporters that “we respect Iranian sovereignty and want to avoid the United States being the issue inside of Iran.” Many former Obama advisers continue to believe that the U.S. should not support protests against the Iranian regime, telling Donald Trump this week to “be quiet” rather than backing the demonstrators.

Tapper asked Panetta, as the CIA director at the time, to comment on Obama’s stance, in retrospect:

Tapper: Let me ask you about the last time there were mass protests in Iran, in 2009, when you were in the Obama administration. Do you think the Obama administration dropped the ball by not more aggressively standing with the protesters, whether on its own or in congress with our European allies and others?

Panetta: Well, I remember that — that movement. It was a much larger protest than what we’re having today. It was based on the Green Party and what happened in the election then. I do think that was an appropriate time for the United States to have sent a clearer message that we stand by those who try to represent the rights of people. That’s what the United States is all about. And it would have been important to have sent that message at the time.

Obama’s Secretary of Defense at the time, Robert Gates, has also said that the Obama administration should have sided with the protesters in 2009.

Here is the first sign of what the leaders are putting out to the followers to post everywhere to try and take away from the real news. Well do not let them do that. The real and only news today is Steve Bannon and what he told us about the Trump people today. By Steve they committed Treason  by going to the Meeting. Now does anyone think Trump did not know about this. Has Bannon just started the end of the Trump Pres. Could be as we could see a lot of Treason trials in the next months. Will we fill up the jails, and what color suits will the wear. Will they be shackled when brought into the court house. Just think the hero Bannon did all this.

Don't forget to add the "People dying in the streets". Don't believe me, ask the governor of Georgia.

You slipped with that one. You are not supposed to tell everyone that a goal of the far right is to have people die in the streets as a result of what the far right has done. The Gov, of GA already said that and was quoted on it so I do not have to ask him. How many should die in the streets per day to make the far right happy.

Yea, I slipped like a velcro ball in a briar patch. Try googling "Tongue in Cheek" while you still try to find your pretend quote from the governor.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 63 of 115

john258 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

john258 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

john258 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

I am not aware of any "book" involved in the topic about Panetta.

You are correct there is no book their is no story, there is nothing about Panetta except what the far right leaders made up and ordered their followers to post on to distract people from the real news. Here is some real news. One of the people in the new book by Steve Wolf was on TV tonight and confirmed what was in the book about Trump from him was true. We have a President who has mental problems and that is the story we should all  be talking about.

No book but it is the topic. Any thoughts on it??

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 64 of 115

john258 wrote:

jimc91 wrote:

Former Secretary of Defense and Central Intelligence Agency Director Leon Panetta told CNN’s Jake Tapper on Tuesday evening that his old boss, then-President Barack Obama, should have done more to support the Iran protests of 2009.

In 2009, Obama infamously refused to back the “Green Revolution,” telling reporters that “we respect Iranian sovereignty and want to avoid the United States being the issue inside of Iran.” Many former Obama advisers continue to believe that the U.S. should not support protests against the Iranian regime, telling Donald Trump this week to “be quiet” rather than backing the demonstrators.

Tapper asked Panetta, as the CIA director at the time, to comment on Obama’s stance, in retrospect:

Tapper: Let me ask you about the last time there were mass protests in Iran, in 2009, when you were in the Obama administration. Do you think the Obama administration dropped the ball by not more aggressively standing with the protesters, whether on its own or in congress with our European allies and others?

Panetta: Well, I remember that — that movement. It was a much larger protest than what we’re having today. It was based on the Green Party and what happened in the election then. I do think that was an appropriate time for the United States to have sent a clearer message that we stand by those who try to represent the rights of people. That’s what the United States is all about. And it would have been important to have sent that message at the time.

Obama’s Secretary of Defense at the time, Robert Gates, has also said that the Obama administration should have sided with the protesters in 2009.

Here is the first sign of what the leaders are putting out to the followers to post everywhere to try and take away from the real news. Well do not let them do that. The real and only news today is Steve Bannon and what he told us about the Trump people today. By Steve they committed Treason  by going to the Meeting. Now does anyone think Trump did not know about this. Has Bannon just started the end of the Trump Pres. Could be as we could see a lot of Treason trials in the next months. Will we fill up the jails, and what color suits will the wear. Will they be shackled when brought into the court house. Just think the hero Bannon did all this.

Is this the same deranged, lying Steve Bannon the Libs described just a short time ago? My, my how times, they are changing.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 65 of 115

Some protests are peaceful. Others resort to violence. Some groups blame the U.S. for strirring trouble and chant "Death to America". Best not to take Leon Panetta's advice. We should stay out of this and let the Iranians solve their own problems.

PBS

Medi Marzani (through interpreter): "People should be able to come out easily and voice their concerns in crowds, peaceful protests and demonstrations. This shouldn’t be taken away from them. If these protests were calmer, I believe we would have better results."

Hari Sreenivasan: "Despite such sentiments, there has been violence in Isfahan Province. People set fire to a police station and a national bank."

A university of Tehran professor sympathetic to the regime blames Western media for misrepresenting the protests.

Mohammad Marandi: "Iran is a very normal society. It has people who are upset with different issues, like in any normal society. And they express them both at the ballot box and peacefully. And the rioters are not reflective of the will of the majority of Iranians."

For full report see 4 minute video at link...

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/repression-is-not-the-answer-say-protesters-in-iran

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 66 of 115

The US successfully fought off a Russian-led attempt on Friday to block a UN security council discussion over the past week’s Iranian protests.

But the U.S. immediately found itself at odds with its European partners, who used the subsequent debate to reject American efforts to make the protests an excuse for ditching the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran.

Russia had tried to stop the UN discussion on the grounds that it would represent an inappropriate interference in Iran’s internal affairs. But the US countered by finding the required votes on the 15-strong security council to press for a debate.

Russia claimed the US intended to use what it regarded as largely economic protests directed against austerity inside Iran as a means both to challenge the Iranian government’s authority and to undermine the Iranian nuclear deal signed in 2015.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/05/russia-us-iran-un-emergency-session

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 67 of 115

fangoh45 wrote:

john258 wrote:

jimc91 wrote:

Don't forget to add the "People dying in the streets". Don't believe me, ask the governor of Georgia.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 68 of 115

john258 wrote:

jimc91 wrote:

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 69 of 115

rk9152 wrote:

john258 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

john258 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

john258 wrote:

fangoh45 wrote:

phyllisc6781 wrote:

Care to talk about anything with relevance?   How about new evidence regarding Trump and money laundering? 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

If relevance and staying on topic is important to you, let us know your thoughts on " Leon Panetta: Obama Should Have Helped Iran Protests in 2009". Now that's relevant!

Lets go to the real news. Have you been listening to what is in the new book. Fast & Fury by Michael Wolf. Wolf had written about Trump during the campaign, and was invited into the White House to talk to staff for info for this book. He even talked to President Trump. Well the book is now published and being covered by the news media. What is in the book comes from Trump people like Steve Bannon, Trump daughter, Trump himself, and the people around him so no one can say this was written by people who were out to get Trump. All Trump supporters should read the book, and learn what he is like. It confirms all the stories we have heard for the last 2 years. If confirms what the mental health experts have been telling us that he has serious mental problems. It confirms he does not understand any policy, and will listen to no one, and can not stay on any subject for the time needed to understand it. We hear his own people say he is unfit to be President. Ivanka tells us how he handles his hair. He even had his scalp reduced so the large bald spot can be covered. I can not see how any person could support him after reading the book. In fact I would think there would be a movement under way to get him out of Office now as he is destroying the country. Even the owner of FOX told the author that Trump is nuts. Sorry Trump supporters you were had, now due your duty and help save the country by supporting his retirement now from being President so he can get the medical help he needs.

Having a bit of trouble concentrating on the topic are you??

That is the topic. News tonight. It looks like Muller has material that  confirms that the FBI Director Trump fired told the truth on what Trump said to him. Guess who gave him that info. It was Trumps former chief of Staff (RP). Could we be getting close. How about Trump wearing a lot of makeup at the New Years party, and not being able to remember his close friends as they arrived at the party. They say his old body guard left under some very dark secrets. Lets have someone tell us what he knows. Now that we are on the real news no talk about 2009 stories to keep us from talking about the important news about the Prersident with mental problems.

Sorry - I just can't find Leon Panetta in there.

You are reading the wrong book. Now buy the real book and read it.

You are correct there is no book their is no story, there is nothing about Panetta except what the far right leaders made up and ordered their followers to post on to distract people from the real news. Here is some real news. One of the people in the new book by Steve Wolf was on TV tonight and confirmed what was in the book about Trump from him was true. We have a President who has mental problems and that is the story we should all  be talking about.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 70 of 115

john258 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

john258 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

john258 wrote:

fangoh45 wrote:

phyllisc6781 wrote:

Care to talk about anything with relevance?   How about new evidence regarding Trump and money laundering? 

Gee, I miss having a real president!

If relevance and staying on topic is important to you, let us know your thoughts on " Leon Panetta: Obama Should Have Helped Iran Protests in 2009". Now that's relevant!

Lets go to the real news. Have you been listening to what is in the new book. Fast & Fury by Michael Wolf. Wolf had written about Trump during the campaign, and was invited into the White House to talk to staff for info for this book. He even talked to President Trump. Well the book is now published and being covered by the news media. What is in the book comes from Trump people like Steve Bannon, Trump daughter, Trump himself, and the people around him so no one can say this was written by people who were out to get Trump. All Trump supporters should read the book, and learn what he is like. It confirms all the stories we have heard for the last 2 years. If confirms what the mental health experts have been telling us that he has serious mental problems. It confirms he does not understand any policy, and will listen to no one, and can not stay on any subject for the time needed to understand it. We hear his own people say he is unfit to be President. Ivanka tells us how he handles his hair. He even had his scalp reduced so the large bald spot can be covered. I can not see how any person could support him after reading the book. In fact I would think there would be a movement under way to get him out of Office now as he is destroying the country. Even the owner of FOX told the author that Trump is nuts. Sorry Trump supporters you were had, now due your duty and help save the country by supporting his retirement now from being President so he can get the medical help he needs.

Having a bit of trouble concentrating on the topic are you??

That is the topic. News tonight. It looks like Muller has material that  confirms that the FBI Director Trump fired told the truth on what Trump said to him. Guess who gave him that info. It was Trumps former chief of Staff (RP). Could we be getting close. How about Trump wearing a lot of makeup at the New Years party, and not being able to remember his close friends as they arrived at the party. They say his old body guard left under some very dark secrets. Lets have someone tell us what he knows. Now that we are on the real news no talk about 2009 stories to keep us from talking about the important news about the Prersident with mental problems.

Sorry - I just can't find Leon Panetta in there.

You are reading the wrong book. Now buy the real book and read it.