Are You Ready for the Next Natural Disaster? AARP Live Can Help You Get Prepared Tonight at 10 p.m. Watch here

Re: LET'S TELL THE REAL TRUTH

Message 1 of 215 (232 Views)

Thank you for your participation. This thread is now closed.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 215 (234 Views)

Snoopy--I'm with you! I am a good person because every day I need to be able to look in the mirror and know that I have done what is best for my family, friends, pets, and country--not because I am afraid of retribution after I pass.

For the record, I BELIEVE IN AN AFTER LIFE FOR MANY REASONS--AND  I REALLY HOPE I'M RIGHT BWCAUSE I WANT TO BE ABLE  TO HOLD  MY HUSBAND AGAIN.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 215 (255 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

alferdpacker wrote:

Are you saying that I'm not telling the truth as I see it?

Did I say that?  Have a good day, Alferd.

So far, so good...

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 215 (257 Views)

rker321 wrote:

I guess that I am good because I do believe that eventually there will be benefits from being good.

I prefer to be 'good' for the immediate benefits instead of hoping for something in the future. The benefit I see is the happiness in my life.

Doing good because of fear of the future is a poor way to go through life.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 215 (259 Views)

alferdpacker wrote:

Did I say that?  Have a good day, Alferd.

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 215 (254 Views)

TxGrandpa2 wrote:

alferdpacker wrote:

religious writings that are not corrected even when errors are proved to exist?

Could it be said that anyone is as much an authority on religion that they have proved the scriptures erroneous?  Or is that only an opinion? Has science been proved that what is known is infallable?  Doesn't it change with new discoveries?  With new discoveries we keep hearing of changed or new theories about the earth and science.   Even new discoveries of cuniforms, etc, goes to prove the authenticity of the scriptures used today.

So, as I've posted, why is there a problem with mine, or anyone's beliefs, about religion, etc?  Is anyone believing in God a threat to those who are quick to 'denounce' such?

This has gone way off topic.

So - where in the topic title was any specific truth about what particular issue specified?

Oh?  It wasn't?

However - since not specifically delineated and defined, but more generalized "religious issues" were in fact mentioned in the original post by NCTarheel - the originator of the topic - whose original post defined what is and is not part of the topic - I am in fact - in discussing a religious issue - on topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJMKupYF14I

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 215 (265 Views)

alferdpacker wrote:

religious writings that are not corrected even when errors are proved to exist?

Could it be said that anyone is as much an authority on religion that they have proved the scriptures erroneous?  Or is that only an opinion? Has science been proved that what is known is infallable?  Doesn't it change with new discoveries?  With new discoveries we keep hearing of changed or new theories about the earth and science.   Even new discoveries of cuniforms, etc, goes to prove the authenticity of the scriptures used today.

So, as I've posted, why is there a problem with mine, or anyone's beliefs, about religion, etc?  Is anyone believing in God a threat to those who are quick to 'denounce' such?

This has gone way off topic.

Message 8 of 215 (281 Views)

@TxGrandpa2- Do I consider geology, cosmology, astronomy, mathematics, physics, physical anthropology and all the rest of science to be a more accurate description of how we got to where we are today than religious writings that are not corrected even when errors are proved to exist?

Yep, I do - religious dogma doesn't correct itself when it is found to be in error - science does - I go with the stuff that corrects itself when it finds it's wrong.

I've always very much enjoyed learning of new things in science that replace older erroneous assumptions.

Things never stay the same - change is the only constant.

Trusted Social Butterfly

LET'S TELL THE REAL TRUTH

Message 9 of 215 (283 Views)

The Universe is 13.6 billion years old. How could God be around to create the universe before there was a Universe? If you don't understand that question, I'm sorry.

[ Edited ]
Message 10 of 215 (288 Views)

rker321 wrote:

Well, whatever, !!!!!!  it sort of make it easier to believe in a Supreme being, after all is not too good to believe that I am poor because?..............  and others are rich?............. that I am not beautiful?........................
I guess that I am good because I do believe that eventually there will be benefits from being good.

Perhpas that is a selfish manner but, is a truthful one.
That is why any kind of discussion regarding the existance of God is really silly,  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mLl2mXFsps

So from that - we get that for a bunch of billion years the remains of exploded stars from here and there gathered - coalesced and formed the sun, earth, etc...

Yes, you are stardust - so was Jesus...

So - quantum fluctuation - caused by god?    If you want it that way - why not?

Personally, I have always found far more beauty in the incredible complexity and interconnectedness of all the processes - cosmology, geology, physics, chemistry, mathematics, biology, genetics, and everything that describes and interprets how life on earth originated, evolved and currently exists here on earth than in anything else.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.