ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Silver Conversationalist

Re: If Jesus Had a Gun...

Message 11 of 27

@Epster

I don't know what branch of Christianity you belong to but most Christian churches and scholars believe in the Third Commandment: " You shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain". and teach its meaning in the following manner:

The Lord's name is holy and and should be introduced into one's speech only to bless, praise or glorify that name.The name should be used respectfully, with an awareness of the presence of God. It must not be abused by careless speech, false oaths, or words of hatred, reproach or defiance toward God, or used in magic. Since Jesus Christ is believed to be the Messiah, and "the image of the invisible God," this commandment is applied to the name of Jesus Christ as well.

I ask you to look into your heart of hearts, and reflect on this teaching, and your use of the name of JESUS, and how you find it amusing.   

And  instead of a frivilous sermon on a bumper sticker that you find amusing, and which in fact takes the name of Jesus Christ in vain, you deliver a sermon on the Third commandment and how it applies to today's society.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Silver Conversationalist

Message 12 of 27

ReTiReD51 wrote:

Epster wrote:

ReTiReD51 wrote:

@EpsterI don’t think you meant anything by it either. However I do see rj7500’s point. To a true Christian Jesus and God are not advertising mascots to be applied as needed to an evangelical gun lover’s politics or personal interests.

Me- I’m an agnostic and I’d like to know WWJP, What Would Jesus Pack?

@ReTiReD51  Smiley Happy

I used to always say that God was a lot more liberal than me. I pack a Glock. 

I hope you don't tell anyone about it and keep it concealed. Then when you do pull it out everyone is surprised. Don't you just love the look then on everyone’s face?

And then you could end up with a whole mess of cops pointing their guns at you and open firing on you the moment they have begun to fear for their lives.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 27

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Epster wrote:

@ReTiReD51  Smiley Happy

And she has a great sense of humor.....

Full disclosure: I paid @Centristsin2010 to say that ... (thanks Cent)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 14 of 27

Epster wrote:

ReTiReD51 wrote:

@EpsterI don’t think you meant anything by it either. However I do see rj7500’s point. To a true Christian Jesus and God are not advertising mascots to be applied as needed to an evangelical gun lover’s politics or personal interests.

@ReTiReD51  Smiley Happy

And she has a great sense of humor.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 27

Epster wrote:

ReTiReD51 wrote:

@ReTiReD51  Smiley Happy

I hope you don’t tell anyone about it and keep it concealed. Then when you do pull it out everyone is surprised. Don’t you just love the look then on everyone’s face?

Message 16 of 27

ReTiReD51 wrote:

@ReTiReD51  Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 27

Message 18 of 27

@rj7500 OK. Let me see if I can explain why this is hilarious to me regardless of whether the person who made the bumpersticker was mocking God or not.

Jesus IS alive. And He doesn't need guns.

Therefore this is a purely ridiculous thing to say ... and it makes me laugh because of it. I might have even used this in a Bible study back in the day, had I seen it then. Smiley Happy Laughter is a godly behavior. Look it up. Smiley Happy

Good night.

Highlighted

Message 19 of 27

rj7500 wrote:

I am  sorry to say that I doubt your words and sincerity. 

Charles G. Finney, a preacher in the 1800s, wrote about the effects of mocking God: "To mock God is to pretend to love and serve him when we do not; to act in a false manner, to be insincere and hypocritical in our professions, pretending to obey him, love, serve, and worship him, when we do not. . . . Mocking God grieves the Holy Spirit, and sears the conscience; and thus the bands of sin become stronger and stronger. The heart becomes gradually hardened by such a process."

I am not the one you should apologize to. 

You really should not question why your god made me become and remain who and what I am - god works in ways you may not understand...

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning
Silver Conversationalist

Message 20 of 27

@Epster

I am  sorry to say that I doubt your words and sincerity. 

Charles G. Finney, a preacher in the 1800s, wrote about the effects of mocking God: "To mock God is to pretend to love and serve him when we do not; to act in a false manner, to be insincere and hypocritical in our professions, pretending to obey him, love, serve, and worship him, when we do not. . . . Mocking God grieves the Holy Spirit, and sears the conscience; and thus the bands of sin become stronger and stronger. The heart becomes gradually hardened by such a process."

I am not the one you should apologize to.