Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: I’m Sick of All The Health Care Freeloaders

Message 1 of 33

Gail1 wrote:
Private insurance companies don't encourage us to smoke, drink excessively, over eat, don't brush our teeth, not exercise, do drugs, etc, not take care of our kids in every way.

MIseker wrote:
Society does. tv ads. Tobacco and alcolhol industries. supported byyyyyy your local candidate that accepts their money. Its not rocket science to figure this out. Chemicals in your food? buy the fda. need an opiod epidemic? let big pharm suddenly say OPIATES ARENT ADDICTIVE. lots of money in that one. Ive known they were addictive since the govt taught that in civics in 9th grade. Its no longer about people in the US. its the money.

Then I guess, everybody gets what they deserve . . . . . . from watching too much TV.

In nursing school in the 60's, they taught us that "as long as there is pain, a person would not become addicted" -  Demerol (Meperidine) was the opioid drug of choice back then for pain and we had lots of pain. 

Money is gonna be involved in everything, forever - it makes the world go around.  It does some good stuff too, ya know. 

MY Motto:  ANYTHING we do to the excess is not good for us.

Report Inappropriate Content
Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 33

@gruffstuff—The comments you cite are from uneducated, simplistic, out of touch with reality types of people. Very sad that these people are this incredibly selfish, uninformed, and yes, blackhearted. 

It is very easy, however, to see why they identify with trump and the stripping away of health care and medical subsidies. One supports what one believes—and these loathsome types believe if you don’t have money, too bad.

Apparently they feel that if one doesn’t have money it is ok if people are sick, suffer, and die. 

So sad there are people in this world like this.  So sad.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 33

Wonder if we’d hear the ridiculous mantra of “Oh well, the parents were urresponsible.” One wonders how  the hearts of some have become so blackened—so dead.

Or people only have the right to children if they can afford them, human nature being  what it is, maternal instinct, biology, and the genetic drive to reproduce,  how well do you think that will work.

Clearly the solution is to close family planing clinics, deny birth control, and then tell families, well you shouldn't have had children if you couldn't afford them, married or not, planned to unplanned. 

Women go buy some aspirin and hold one between your knees so you won't get pregnant with a child you can't afford.

If that fails and a child is born ............ well we told you not to have children you can't afford.

Of course that punishes the child who had no say in being born, and no ability to pay it's own medical bills, provide it's own food, shelter and all that.

It doesn't even save money, malnourished children get sick more often and parents without insurance use the hospital ER at ten times the cost of a clinic.

It is not only cruel, it's just plain stupid.

That describes the Republican party perfectly, cruel and stupid.

But a lot of them go to Church on Sunday, so that makes it all good.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 33
Private insurance companies don't encourage us to smoke, drink excessively, over eat, don't brush our teeth, not exercise, do drugs, etc, not take care of our kids in every way.

Society does. tv ads. Tobacco and alcolhol industries. supported byyyyyy your local candidate that accepts their money. Its not rocket science to figure this out. Chemicals in your food? buy the fda. need an opiod epidemic? let big pharm suddenly say OPIATES ARENT ADDICTIVE. lots of money in that one. Ive known they were addictive since the govt taught that in civics in 9th grade. Its no longer about people in the US. its the money.
So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 33

MIseker wrote:

GailL1 wrote:

Richva wrote:

Like most countries, healthcare in America is a right. In America, if you are sick or injured and go to a hospital, they must treat you regardless of whether you have insurance.  That is the law.  

So, if you do not believe healthcare is a right, should hospitals be allowed to wheel the sick and injured off their property and leave them sitting on the curb?  Sick babies? Grandmothers with broken hips?  Autistic adults?

That's NOT Health care - That's SICK care.  It is Triage at best - get them stable and off they go home or to a public hospital or some charity to give them the care they might need.

Ever see chemo being given in an ER?

Ever see an annual flu shot or an immunization being given in an ER.

Might get your first dialysis there but after that . . . . . .

Is that what we want - SICK care?  Actually when I look at stats - that does seem to be what many people want - we don't want to have to work to stay healthy, we just want somebody to fix us up when we are down.

ANd who trained our society to be that way? private insurance. cant aford it..dont go til you are sick. lets stigmatize those poor people so they are ashamed to go for a free checkup or go to a free clinic. Dont have transpo? live rural like most of America? to bad for you. there is no doctor visit anymore. Changing a society is like turning a battleship. 

As far as im concerned, people that arent pro public health care, cannot in reality consider themselves in any way shape of form pro life. 

I don't know who trained us to be that way - actually it seems it maybe the same in other countries

CNN 06/06/2017 - How countries around the world try to encourage vaccination

People, everywhere, equate sickness to health.  Private insurance companies don't encourage us to smoke, drink excessively, over eat, don't brush our teeth,  not exercise, do drugs, etc, not take care of our kids in every way.

I am not pro life, in fact I encourage abortion if the parentS cannot at least make a commitment to a child they are bringing into the world - financial and responsible- wise..  I just took care of (4) yesterday - all less than (7) - both parents are now in jail (drugs and not the 1st time), oldest has not been in school since last May.  Grandmother can't take them - she can't pass the drug test.  Great Grands have the financial resourses but are too old for full time care. I am working with the uncle who is 59 (retired) to see if the parents will at least relinquish custody legally to him instead of them going into DFAC and foster care.   I am a CASA volunteer.  One kid was too many for these parents.  She lost a set of twins somewhere in all of this time period - thank goodness !

So what's with all those med grads with all those loans to pay off under the forgiveness program?

Seems to me, we need to say, if you want fed money for your education, you have to serve some time in some of these underserved communities - might beat getting the actual money out of them.  What's with school buses being idol in the middle of the day - there's some transport.

We are a very diverse population and not just by race or nationality - we are diverse in where we live and the medical infrastructure available where they live - that has always been the case.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 33

MIseker wrote:

jfpinlvn wrote:

intersan wrote:

Health care is a right, and not a priviledge. 

Claiming that it is a right does not make it so. There is no natural right to health care. It can't be a right because it's a service or commodity that someone has to pay for. Obtaining health care means taking advantage of time, skills, and resources that belong to other people. You cannot encroach on their human right to in order to guarantee someone else a "right".

"Promote the health and general welfare" ring a bell?

Food is a necessity of life, a necessity is higher than a right, but unless you can grow it yourself, you have to seek it via the marketplace or charitable aide.

When you depend on the charity of others, you get what is given - what can keep you alive.

I offer the WIC program as an example - coverage is for the essentials of a healthy child and from the manufacturers who have agreed to supply these essentials at the best price.

Need is met - I guess you could even say, the right to the basic essentials is met too.

We already do that in health care - Medicaid, CHIP

For those who have money to pay for their (whatever) necessities - food / health care - they can pick what they want or what they might think they need.

There are many alternatives in food and in health care -

All people have rights - that life, liberty and pursuit . . . . . but I deem those to be freedoms rather than rights. 

To promote the health and general welfare . . . . can encompass many things - things government does for everybody - safety in food and medicine, determining the schedule of immunizations, list of and priority measurement of preventive care , disease and chronic illness research, epidemics or health crisis, encouraging flu shots, new medicine and therapy approvals.

Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 33

@MIseker—EXCELLENT POST!! Filled with fact a more than a few memories!

A thousand kudos and my utmost respect go to you sir.

Gee, I miss having a real president!

Message 8 of 33

GailL1 wrote:

Richva wrote:

Like most countries, healthcare in America is a right. In America, if you are sick or injured and go to a hospital, they must treat you regardless of whether you have insurance.  That is the law.  

So, if you do not believe healthcare is a right, should hospitals be allowed to wheel the sick and injured off their property and leave them sitting on the curb?  Sick babies? Grandmothers with broken hips?  Autistic adults?

That's NOT Health care - That's SICK care.  It is Triage at best - get them stable and off they go home or to a public hospital or some charity to give them the care they might need.

Ever see chemo being given in an ER?

Ever see an annual flu shot or an immunization being given in an ER.

Might get your first dialysis there but after that . . . . . .

Is that what we want - SICK care?  Actually when I look at stats - that does seem to be what many people want - we don't want to have to work to stay healthy, we just want somebody to fix us up when we are down.

ANd who trained our society to be that way? private insurance. cant aford it..dont go til you are sick. lets stigmatize those poor people so they are ashamed to go for a free checkup or go to a free clinic. Dont have transpo? live rural like most of America? to bad for you. there is no doctor visit anymore. Changing a society is like turning a battleship. 

As far as im concerned, people that arent pro public health care, cannot in reality consider themselves in any way shape of form pro life. 

So it begins.

Message 9 of 33

GailL1 wrote:

NerdyMom wrote:

The OP/ED is talking about kids on government health insurance.  Kids.   Kids don't pick their parents.  They have almost no say in how most of their lives go until they are mid to late teens.   If we don't help them, who do we help?   

Will we ever learn that by helping them, we help our entire nation?   

We can only help the kids if the parents decide to help them.  We have broadened coverage especially for kids - they can all fit into some type of health care coverage - but still it doesn't get done because the parents don't take the time to search their options.    We sign them up for Medicaid or CHIP when they are sick in the ER if their parents meet the criteria of coverage.

Others have access to health care coverage via their parents plan - private, employer, or government but yet , , , , ,

KHN 11/17/2017 - Despite ACA Cost Protections, Most Adolescents Skip Regular Checkups

. . . . both BEFORE and AFTER the ACA was established, fewer than half of kids ages 10 to 17 were getting routine annual physical exams, according to a recent study.

. . . . Before the health law passed in 2010, caregivers reported that 41 percent of children had a well-child visit in the previous year. After the ACA’s preventive services protections became effective, typically in 2011, the rate climbed to 48 percent, a “moderate” increase, Adams said. The increase was greatest for minority and low-income groups.

. . . . more than half of children in the survey didn’t go to the doctor for routine care over the course of a year, even though many families gained insurance and wouldn’t have owed anything for the visits.

The ACA required that most health plans cover preventive services recommended by four medical and scientific expert groups without charging consumers anything out-of-pocket. For children, many of these services are spelled out in the Bright Futures project guidelines, sponsored by the American Academy of Pediatrics and supported by the federal government, and by the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, an independent group of medical experts that evaluates the evidence for clinical care.

About a fifth of adolescents ages 12 to 19 are obese, and between 13 and 20 percent of children have a mental disorder in any given year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

We really don't seem to want health care - we want sick care - come down with something and then people expect us to spare no cost in treating them or getting them well, if that can even happen at that point.

At the end of 2016, we are still only giving 59.3% of kids from 6 months - 17 years old an annual flu shot. And 2017 seems to be even worse based on early-season vaccinations.

Per the CDC:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/fluvaxview/coverage-1516estimates.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/fluvaxview/nifs-estimates-nov2017.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/immunize.htm

Figure 1. Seasonal Flu Vaccination Coverage, by Age Group and Season, United States, 2009-2016

Only approximately two of every five children and adults in the United States had received an influenza (flu) vaccination by early November 2017:

• 38.6% of all persons 6 months and older
  • 38.8% of children 6 months through 17 years
  • 38.5% of adults 18 years and older

• Early 2017–18 flu season vaccination coverage was similar to coverage at the same time last flu season for children, adults, and all persons 6 months and older.
  • Among children, flu vaccination coverage was similar across all racial/ethnic groups with one exception—non-Hispanic children of other or multiple races had higher flu vaccination coverage than non-Hispanic black children.

The flu vaccination is a good indication of how much we put into preventative health because the flu shot is available in many locations - health locations, retail location, nonprofit locations, workplaces.

We are doing better with regular immunizations - at least in the very younger years - then it drops off so unless it is required. 

Percent of children aged 19-35 months receiving vaccinations for:

• Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (4+ doses DTP, DT, or DTaP): 84.6%
  • Polio (3+ doses): 93.7%
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) (1+ doses): 91.9%
  • Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) (primary series + booster dose): 82.7%
  • Hepatitis B (Hep B) (3+ doses): 92.6%
  • Chickenpox (Varicella) (1+ doses): 91.8%
  • Pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV) (4+ doses): 84.1%
  • Combined 7-vaccine series: 72.2%

Other countries also find that preventive care of children drops off after an early age and they have put in mandates or incentives to make it happen. 

CNN 06/06/2017 - How countries around the world try to encourage vaccination

Think we should pay parents to take care of this preventive care?

Good Grief -

Perhaps the doc who wrote this very sarcastic piece, should hit the streets with bag in hand and find those kids whose parents don't have the time to be bothered with keeping their kids healthy -

People want SICK care coverage, NOT Health care coverage. 

Back in the day, and my almost 40 yr old kids have no clue about this, we had strong county health services that visited schools AND churches for vaccines , tb tests, etc. We had a dental service come and teach us about dental health, give us flouride tretments ( country school) toothbrushes and tooth paste. We had a school nurse based at the high school that made regular visits..i had the same school nurse k-12. We had films on personal hygiene, for boys and girls. 

There was, and still is.. a reason for this. People trapped in the cycle of poverty ( and yeah mostly rural whites here) just dont KNOW in many cases. back in the 60's my town was getting that influx from the south..mny straight from the hills. Grown men showing up for work barefoot... at factories. do you think their kids had proper treatment? 

Since these services were deemed too expensive, public health has gone to pot, as well as KNOWLEDGE of public health. only 100 years ago most of the nation used an outhouse and wiped their arse on catalog pages. Those peope that want the gubbamint outta their life..are getting exactly that.

So it begins.

Message 10 of 33

rk9152 wrote:

phyllisc6781 wrote:

trump, the Repubs. who support him, and that mindless base are proud that they have deprived children of health care. They will deny it, but it’s in their greedy and shortsighted tweets, statements, and posts.  

After all, one of them told us,big deal, the parents were irresponsible.

That is incorrect and I believe you know it. The comment was about the irresponsibility of bringing children into the world that you are unable to provide for.

Now, can you agree with that comment (accurately stated)?

thats not what the post is about. If you truly want people to stop bringing unwanted kids into the world, provide real sex ed at puberty and birth control ( all kinds, including condems) at 18.  lack of these to items is whats irresponsible. its not PRO LIFE to force people into abortions is it?

So it begins.