Recharge Your Job Search in 2018. AARP Foundation Can Provide You With Resources and Training. Learn More

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: H.R. 1227, the Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act

Message 1 of 21

mandm84 wrote:

They actually have Democratic leaders in Texas ? LOL

Yep,  believe it or not, we have a few from the greater metro areas, and some border counties. I happen to live in the bluest county, but the gerrymandering of districts really makes it hard for democrats to get elected. I used to have a D rep before the county was split and splintered every which way. My R rep doesn't live anywhere near the sliver of my county that he represents.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 21

They actually have Democratic leaders in Texas ? LOL

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 21

Olderscout66 wrote:

I'd wager that Texas wants no competition for the State's mind-numbing drug of choice FOX NEWS.

pass that joint and stop laughing at hannity

So it begins.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 21

NerdyMom wrote:

Being a schedule 1 drug makes it very difficult for scientists to research it.  They must get approval from the government to research and and then get their supply from a federally-approved source, specifically for research.  So while some research gets done, it may not meet the government's criteria, and it is not done in sufficient quanitity to make a difference.

So what they "could" do is deschedule it for 10 years or so, and mandate specific types of research on it.  And then revisit the issue in 10 years with more data to make a rational decision.

Id go with the deschedule..immediately. and if it shows less deleterious effects than booze..regulate it less than booze. or restart prohibition. serious talk about the opiod epidemic points to a bad economic situation,and that feeling of hpoelessnes that comes with it. at this point, the decision is to either change the economics enough that no one worries about food roof and medical, of treat the " pain in the head" with pot, taxit it like the other pain in the head med booze...and people be damned. I mean, we are going to let people make our waterways sewer again, deregulate clean air and water laws..which we know shortens life spans, sell tobacco, and booze, deregulate what the food giants can feed you without warning you..the govt is all for killing people unless it helps fill prison for profit. 

That is the reality of the situation. Big Pharm one day said " our opiates are not addicting" and our profit driving in the pocket congress let them. so killing 60000 is ok for profit, and the taxpayers as always..pay for cleanup. DId you believe it when they determined a certain opiate was not addictive? now part of the cure is just to cut people off..INCLUDING people with severe chronic pain ( pushing them to suicide or the street ) and just pass off withdrawal as something to think about? we have een thru this. Morphine with the civil war. Opium dens. Bathtub gin. I am not a sucker, and neither are the majority of people in this debate. Too many old dope smokers made it big just fine and dandy..

So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 21

john258 wrote:

MaVolta wrote:

One point in the summary of the bill worth noting - 

"The bill does, however, make it a crime to knowingly ship or transport marijuana into a state where its receipt, possession, or sale is prohibited. A violator is subject to criminal penalties—a fine, a prison term of up to one year, or both."

Therefore, if it passes, red states like Texas could still keep it on the illegal list, thus preserving the right of each state to do as it sees fit.  We even have Trump on the record as saying that he thought the states should decide. Picture that playing over and over during election season. 

Keep in mind Texas has everything on its banned list. I live in a state that has a border with Texas. We see a lot of Texas plates on cars in our state all the time. They come here to get away from Texas. We made a lot of money on them over New Years weekend. They could not buy liquor on Sunday so they came here. Lines were long at the stores on the border. They go to CO. for pot weekends, and I am sure take it home. They come here for medical pot which they take home.

True, I live in Texas. I remember when booze was legalized at the county level. I lived in a dry county where there were lots and lots of Baptists who opposed the selling of liquor. The next county over was wet, and everyone went there to buy booze. We used to joke that the drive-up window was for the drinking Baptists, and yes, folks knew who they were! The county later decided they might as well collect the sin taxes as to have it go to the neighboring one.

If NM were to legalize pot, for example, Texas would no doubt take notice of $$$ crossing the state line. There also may be an agricultural interest develop in Texas which might bring pressure on the state legislature to change its mind. One of the co-sponsors of this bill is a Texas D. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Nixon had Marijuana DECLARED CLASS ONE NARCOTIC

Message 6 of 21

bkohatl wrote:

Nixon was the ultimate cynic and 100% evil. Discovered in Nixon's papers was a crime far worse than Watergate. While running for President in March 1968, Nixon had a secret meeing with S. Vietnamese Generals and BRIBED THEM TO SABOTAGE THE PARIS PEACE TALKS. LBJ was close to an agreement which would have ended US involvement in the Vietnamese Civil War. The Generals did SABOTAGE THE PEACE TALKS AND NIXON won the election as a result, The Vietnam war dragged on for 7 more years and killed 28,000 more of our children. Remember that the next time you think of Richard Nixon. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/notes-indicate-nixon-interfered-1968-peace-talks-180961627...

This was also covered in the Ken Burns' documentary, The Vietnam War. LBJ was made aware of the betrayal, but he refused to out Nixon prior to the election because it would expose and endanger the intelligence gathering resources in the field. 

Social Butterfly

Re: Nixon had Marijuana DECLARED CLASS ONE NARCOTIC

Message 7 of 21

Nixon was the ultimate cynic and 100% evil. Discovered in Nixon's papers was a crime far worse than Watergate. While running for President in March 1968, Nixon had a secret meeing with S. Vietnamese Generals and BRIBED THEM TO SABOTAGE THE PARIS PEACE TALKS. LBJ was close to an agreement which would have ended US involvement in the Vietnamese Civil War. The Generals did SABOTAGE THE PEACE TALKS AND NIXON won the election as a result, The Vietnam war dragged on for 7 more years and killed 28,000 more of our children. Remember that the next time you think of Richard Nixon. 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/notes-indicate-nixon-interfered-1968-peace-talks-180961627...

Highlighted
Social Butterfly

Nixon had Marijuana DECLARED CLASS ONE NARCOTIC

Message 8 of 21

Watergate Tapes revealed NIXON placed MARIJUANA in the DOJ Controlled Substances list as a SCHEDULE ONE NARCOTIC, which it isn't, so when arrested for possession of marijuana, he could prevent Kids and Blacks from voting, since they don't vote Republican. Wrecking kids lives, for political gain.I am a Liberal Democrat. I don't smoke, take drugs or drink alcohol. When I was 10-years-old, I made the decision that marijuana was exactly the same as booze and have always looked at it that way. 

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 21

Is there anybody here who feels marijuana is accurately classified as a schedule one drug?  

Nope, not only is it not accurately classified, most feel it is deliberately wrongly classified.

There is no way the government, the DEA or Jeff Sessions is going to convince people, many who have smoked pot and suffer no ill effects over an entire lifetime, that pot is as dangerous as heroin.

It's not only stupid, it is blatantly corrupt and despicably immoral.

How many people have been imprisoned for smoking pot?

Pot is a schedule one drug?   No way       Pot doesn't belong in the drug schedule anymore then booze does, actually less so.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 21

MaVolta wrote:

One point in the summary of the bill worth noting - 

"The bill does, however, make it a crime to knowingly ship or transport marijuana into a state where its receipt, possession, or sale is prohibited. A violator is subject to criminal penalties—a fine, a prison term of up to one year, or both."

Therefore, if it passes, red states like Texas could still keep it on the illegal list, thus preserving the right of each state to do as it sees fit.  We even have Trump on the record as saying that he thought the states should decide. Picture that playing over and over during election season. 

Keep in mind Texas has everything on its banned list. I live in a state that has a border with Texas. We see a lot of Texas plates on cars in our state all the time. They come here to get away from Texas. We made a lot of money on them over New Years weekend. They could not buy liquor on Sunday so they came here. Lines were long at the stores on the border. They go to CO. for pot weekends, and I am sure take it home. They come here for medical pot which they take home.