Ask Your Questions About Open Enrollment At AARP’s Webinar ‘Medicare: Your Questions Answered’ at 7 p.m. ET. Register Here

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Gun control must be taken serious, it concerns every one

Message 61 of 160 (98 Views)

Fishslayer777 wrote:
Gun control is taken seriously... as serious as the second amendment says it should. However, if you want guns infringed or limited, then you will find the courts increasingly in disagreement with you.

What is the goal? the ultimate goal? Let me suggest we ALL want to reduce violence and lawlessness... right? Therefore, shouldn't we begin with the low hanging fruit?

Is "low hanging fruit" a reference to unstable right wing crackpots?

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 62 of 160 (108 Views)

alferdpacker wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

alferdpacker wrote:

So by your definition - because my 1961 Remington Nylon 66 can be made to bump fire - that puts it in the class of assault rifles...

Your definition is - like trump's mental processes - half a bubble off of plumb.

No your 1961 Remington is not an assault weapon UNLESS you change the stock to a bump fire stock or make modifications to the weapon to fire automatically.

A .22 Long Rifle firearm with a slow to reload tubular magazine whose capacity cannot be increased - is not - never has been - and cannot ever be made into any kind of useful assault rifle.

An assault rifle - to be accurately designated as such - must be capable of performance similar to that of a military arm designed, manufactured, intended. and capable of adequately performing in military combat.

The technological validity and quality of the posted content of republicans/conservatives thus far on this thread are reminiscent of a cranky Cub Scout making threatening movements with a toy bow and arrows with suction tips on them.

No cigar.

I see you too are having trouble with the English language. I stated my opinion of what an assault weapon is (rifle that fires repeatedly without pulling the trigger over and over). Chasky agrees with the Wiki link which says an assault rifle has a selector switch to choose semi or auto but still insists that a semi rifle is an assault weapon.

The left doesn't understand what they want and doesn't understand weapons!

Who said anything about tubular load weapons? You did!!!!!!

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 63 of 160 (114 Views)

Diverting attention to a name is what turned the Brady Bill to mush, so forget about how to define a term relating to cosmetics, like "Assault Rifle".

What kills so many and encourages the otherwise cowardly to attack their neighbors or advance their larcenies with a firearm is its RATE OF FIRE., not how menacing it LOOKS or if it can mount a bayonet.

The ban needs to be on semi-automatic long guns and all guns that can fire more than 7 times without reloading. Simple, even a GOPer can understand exactly what is or isn't legal. Is a semi-auto handgun legal if it COULD accept a larger clip than the 7-round model you've got in it? Nope - but the larger clip IS, and so is making, buying, selling, transporting, transferring or trading it.

Now lets have the RW explain how this will erode your Freedom and endanger your family.

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 64 of 160 (108 Views)
Gun control is taken seriously... as serious as the second amendment says it should. However, if you want guns infringed or limited, then you will find the courts increasingly in disagreement with you.

What is the goal? the ultimate goal? Let me suggest we ALL want to reduce violence and lawlessness... right? Therefore, shouldn't we begin with the low hanging fruit?

Hate is not a Christian virtue, neither is liberal sanctimony

[ Edited ]
Message 65 of 160 (84 Views)

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

alferdpacker wrote:

So by your definition - because my 1961 Remington Nylon 66 can be made to bump fire - that puts it in the class of assault rifles...

Your definition is - like trump's mental processes - half a bubble off of plumb.

No your 1961 Remington is not an assault weapon UNLESS you change the stock to a bump fire stock or make modifications to the weapon to fire automatically.

A .22 Long Rifle firearm with a slow to reload tubular magazine whose capacity cannot be increased - is not - never has been - and cannot ever be made into any kind of useful assault rifle.

For the record - no military assault rifles chambered for .22 Long rifle have ever existed in the last 150+ years.

The closest to a .22LR assault rifle that ever existed was a .22 caliber prototype that evolved into the subsonic velocity silenced .45ACP De Lisle Carbine used in very limited numbers by the British in WW2 - said to be the quietest firearm ever produced - but that was over 70 years ago...

An assault rifle - to be accurately designated as such - must be capable of performance similar to that of military arms designed, manufactured, intended. and capable of adequately performing in military combat - in today's world.

The technological validity and quality of the posted content from the majority of republicans/conservatives thus far on this thread are humorously reminiscent of a 1969 mention in a parody of a cranky Cub Scout making threatening motions with a toy bow and arrows with suction tips on them.

No cigar.

Have pity for Melania - she wakes up with a jerk every morning

Message 66 of 160 (88 Views)
The Topic : Gun control must be taken serious, it concerns every one

was not taken seriously by one single poster from the right.
So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 67 of 160 (91 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

alferdpacker wrote:

No your 1961 Remington is not an assault weapon UNLESS you change the stock to a bump fire stock or make modifications to the weapon to fire automatically.  Your definition is something from Obama's mental process - way off center.

Obviously certain far-right gun freaks will twist words and use semantics to try and retain the right to own weapons which have the capability to kill 48 people and wound hundreds of others within minutes. Why is that?

Some would consider your post to rule out any use of cars and trucks since they can be used to mow down many more people than 48.  Does the radical left know what they want?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 68 of 160 (95 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Another wishy washy definition by the left.  My definition is any weapon that fires automatically (including bump stock) is an assault rifle.  Most of the left think if the gun looks very menacing, it is an assault rifle.

Do you think anyone one on the left can come up with a concise definition of THEIR OWN so they might even have a chance of getting it passed into law?

Your definition is bunk, semi automatic rifles are also considered to be assault weapons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

On the contrary, using your Wiki link:

An assault rifle is a selective-fire rifle that uses an intermediate cartridge and a detachable magazine.[1][2][3][4][5] Assault rifles were first used during World War II

Try clicking on selective -fire rifle and you will see that your answer is the one that's BUNK and mine is correct.  The left doesn't even know what an assault rifle is!

And it is still an assault rifle when set on the semi-automatic mode, isn't it?

There is no logical or reasonable reason for anyone to have the right or the need to own weapons which have magazines that hold more than 6 or seven rounds and can fire so rapidly that 48 people can be killed and hundreds wounded within minutes.

Your logic is totally illogical! First you told me that my definition was bunk (that automatic firing rifles are assault weapons). Then you said that semi-automatic rifles were assault rifles proved by YOUR Wiki link. Then I showed YOU that YOUR Wiki link said assault rifles have a selector switch to choose auto or semi.

Do you have trouble understanding English?

The left still doesn't understand what they define as an "assault weapon".  When they figure that out, maybe a law can be voted on to prevent "their" assault weapons from being used.

Maybe you should settle on if it looks dangerous, it is an assault weapon???????????

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 69 of 160 (86 Views)

Cute rk9152 , but I think most of AARP's posters with common sense know what constitutes an Assault Rifle. I dont trust any rhetoric from the NRA , which ONLY protects their interest's , at the cost of innocent lives !!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 70 of 160 (97 Views)

MIseker wrote:
NRA ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrnIVVWtAag

The 'NRA' riles and excites it's base and causes even more division by spreading hate for  those protesting gun violence and supporting gun regulation. Are they inciting violence?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"