AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Gun control must be taken serious, it concerns every one

Message 11 of 160 (83 Views)

Screaming gun control does not address the root cause of mass murder.  It's a bumper sticker emotion...

VIMTSTL
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 160 (80 Views)

Just like the children slaughtered at Sandy Hook were forgotten by many on the Far Right , so will the Las Vega's victim's be forgotten.

It's more important that any yahoo or nut job  possess a 50 Armor Piercing round AR 15 Assault Rifle to keep the slaughters going , because we all must have the right to bear a WMD.

Well I will never forget Sandy Hook , as If those lost little Angels were my own.

Oh the Humanity !!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 160 (100 Views)

No , but maybe I'll start. I can't believe the lack of common sense from my fellow posters regarding the needless gun deaths in our Nation. Since we can't stop ALL Deaths , we should do nothing. The NRA turns their back on the Massacre's and instead Fear Mongers " Liberal's are coming to get your guns " and too many fall for their rhetoric.

If you're not Far Right on the issue and believe some changes are needed , you're automatically called a " Liberal " and the NRA Fear Mongering & $$$ floods Congress and the airwaves.

So I guess for many on the Far Right of this issue , until you or a loved one stares down the barrel of a nut job firing off a 50 round AR -15 , you will continue to fall for the NRA rhetoric.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 160 (112 Views)

Do YOU do that?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 15 of 160 (117 Views)

Talking to yourself in front of the mirror is also childish !!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 160 (116 Views)

A child like behavior is asking the same question over and over until you hear the answer you are looking for.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 160 (119 Views)

NO the Weapons of Mass Destruction loaded with 50 Armor Piercing Rounds possessed by anyone who wants one , must be kept a secret. It only makes sense !!!

What were the NRA bought and paid for Republican's working on before the Las Vegas Massacre ?  Legalizing Silencers !!! It only makes sense !!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 160 (111 Views)

jimc91 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

NOTHAPPENING wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

Why does the irrational Right continue to argue to keep available to the public weapons that are capable of killing at least 48 people and injuring hundreds of others in just minutes?

Because the irrational left insists on driving their cars!

Nothing but evasion to actually answering the question because there is no rational answer.  I feel that supporting people having the right to own weapons capable of killing 48 people or more and wounding hundreds in minutes, is supporting the possibility that they may choose to do just that with those weapons.  Guns were designed to kill, unlike all of the stuff you listed before.

Why are you not interested in finding a solution to the root cause of mass murder?

I believe that is a worthy goal.  Is your view of your fellow man so hopeless that you do not believe the root cause can be effectively dealt with?

Psychiatrists have tried to understand and treat psychopathic killers for decades, if not centuries, to no avail. Again:  Why do you support having weapons available to everyone that are capable of killing 48 (or many more) and injuring hundreds in a matter of minutes?  Why is it necessary to give practically everyone the capability of owning such weapons? Evade answering again if you choose, but I will keep asking.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 160 (116 Views)

MIseker wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

MIseker wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

MIseker wrote:

jimc91 wrote:

Going forward IMO America and the entire world would be better served by a laser focus on "MASS MURDER" rather that MASS SHOOTINGS.  Look at other countries outside the USA.  Cars, truck, knives, chemicals, hammers, hatchets, airplanes, shoe bombs, and Guns.

IMO to place our efforts on banning or regulating an inanimate object is similar to running on a treadmill.  Plenty of effort but you stay in the same place.

Until we understand how to recognize the causes of evil in our world we will continue to experience "MURDER and MASS MURDER" .

perfect example of what im talking about. SHift focus away from GUN DEATHS as a priority. By the way Jim, a federal registry and limits on purchases whould have flagged this nut, and many others. Then we have them on hand to examine.

I believe that jm's very rational point was that it is the murder that is important, not the tool. Think of it this way - if a friend or loved one is killed, do you feel better if the killer used a truck, a bomb, or a knife instead of a gun? 

So, yes, it is a SHIFT - a shift to the more important element of the discussion of  killings.

When's the last time that over 200 people got killed and over 500 wounded by a person with a truck or a knife?   This shooter used semi-automatic weapons that had the capability of slaughtering hundreds within minutes. Show how it was the founding fathers' intent that the second amendment should give people that capability. The Constitution allows for firearms to be regulated an that's what we should do.

200??? I missed that report.

your

Again, do your  homework. I did. Obama had nothing to do with it. Again with your alt right division.

Here is where I did my homework, where did you do yours:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2017/oct/06/national-rifle-association/nra-claim-...

Merely typing "alt-right" does not change facts.

But did Obama approve their legality? Sort of, but approved is probably the wrong word.

NRA spokeswoman Amy Hunter pointed us to a June 2010 approval letter from ATF, an agency under executive purview, sent to Slide Fire, a bump stock manufacturer. Spelling out the legal definition of a firearm, ATF’s technology chief John Spencer determined it was not regulated by law.

"The stock has no automatically functioning mechanical parts or springs and performs no automatic mechanical function when installed," Spencer wrote. "Accordingly, we find that the ‘bump-stock’ is a firearm part and is not regulated as a firearm under Gun Control Act or the National Firearms Act."

Bump stocks harness a weapon’s recoil to cause the user’s finger to squeeze the trigger repeatedly, but because they don’t alter the gun’s internal mechanisms, they were considered lawful.

We found a similar 2012 letter addressed to Bump Fire, a competing manufacturer.

But just as these bump stocks didn’t qualify for regulation, two similar devices did.

The difference? The Akins Accelerator and the Autoglove were determined in 2007 and 2017, respectively, to have mechanical parts that enhanced the trigger mechanism, making them by definition machineguns.

"Electrically-driven trigger devices are considered ‘machineguns’ because they are a ‘combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun,’ " ATF’s letter to AutoGlove read.

Automatic weapons sales have been restricted since the 1934 National Firearms Act, and 1986 regulations made it much harder for civilians to get an automatic weapon like a machine gun.

Obama administration’s role

Experts in firearm policy were divided when we asked about the fairness of the NRA’s characterization.

Adam Winkler, a law professor at University of California, Los Angeles, who specializes in guns, said it was appropriate to characterize the move as an approval of its sale under the Obama administration.

"Not because they liked it, but because the law did not permit them to prohibit it," Winkler said.

Other legal experts stressed that it wasn’t an approval, but rather a determination that current law didn’t allow for its regulation.

"The statement implies Obama or (U.S. Attorney General Eric) Holder was somehow involved, and that it was an issue that wouldn’t have been approved in any other administration, and that’s technically incorrect," said Rick Vasquez, a former Firearms Technology Branch official who first signed off on the recommendation the ATF could not regulate the Slide Fire.

"We never had any political people come down to our office saying we must or must not approve (the Slide Fire)," Vasquez said.

Obama issued a slew of executive orders promoting stricter gun control, which the Trump administration has been rolling back, including a measure that previously prevented people with mental illness from buying guns.

"I believe (the NRA) were stating that just to point out that this wasn’t some rogue decision made during a Republican administration, which would be more friendly to gun owners, and therefore that when they re-evaluate it, they’re going to have to take a really close look at the law," said John Pierce, a lawyer and advocate for gun rights.

In order to re-evaluate the bump stock, Vasquez said the ATF would have to change the way it interpreted the National Firearms Act or issue new legislation that would allow the device to be regulated.

Our ruling

The NRA said, "The Obama administration approved the sale of bump fire stocks on at least two occasions."

We indeed found two occasions in which ATF, a bureau within the executive branch, decided it could not regulate bump stocks during the Obama administration.

These decisions allowed two companies to sell bump stocks. It’s important to note this was not a statement of Obama’s preferred policy, which called for more regulation of guns, but was what the agency determined it had to do under the language of current law.

We rate this statement Mostly True.

this is from your article. mybe you should read it. yes indeed it happened on Obamas watch. but youre a long way from it falling on Obamas plate. . DOuble standard much?

I have no idea what "DOuble standard much?" means but as to the suggestion about reading the article - I did and do not see the logic of it happened within the Obama Administration but is not on Obama's plate.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 160 (129 Views)

jimc91 wrote:

Olderscout66 wrote:

jimc91 wrote:

Emotions seem to be getting the best of the left on this board and are clouding their ability to think critically.  What a shame...

People commit mass murder. Inanimate objects do not operate themselves, they need an "operator".  In order for mass murder to be committed, the "Operator" is clearly a flawed human being.

Not a difficult concept for people with the ability to think logically.

Since we cannot protect ourselves from the occurance of serious flaws in our fellow citizens, we must instead protect ourselves from the inanimate objects most easily used by those flawed individuals to kill human beings.

Those objects are semi-automatic long guns and any weapon that can fire more than 7 times without reloading.

Eliminate those from the general population, and wait to see what the psychopaths turn to for Plan B. My bet is motor vehicles, and we can begin to solve THAT problem by installing more barriers and remote "off-switches" available only to police.

But until someone commits mass murder with a 5-iron, (ballbat, bowlingball, knitting needle et at) lets all agree to stop pretending there's no connection between how lethal something is and how often its used to kill.

Logic seems to escape the left...

How about one of these?

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 2.15.57 PM.png

Traveling at say 60 MPH aimed at one of these?

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 2.17.51 PM.png

They are licensed, regulated, and driven by a "flawed human being" can be just a lethal as anything you can imagine...

Logic dictates we have a flawed human being problem that requires our laser focus, if you are really interested in preventing mass murder.

That is the point is it not?  Or is your focus elsewhere?

Pure emotion says, "do something"...  Sorry, not logical and NOT the solution.

a federal gun registry would tell us a guy has 13 assault weapons and some bump stocks. thats a fairly decent indication there may be a problem. 

So it begins.