Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: GOP CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

120 Views
Message 21 of 85

Olderscout66 wrote:

 


myexper wrote:

GailL1 wrote:

@myexper

 

You asked:

"So what happens to those who are NOT nearing retirement or retired"

 

They will adjust just like we did when changes were made by President Reagan and Speaker Tip O'Neill to save the SS system back in 1983. 

 


Too many seniors are already resorting to eating dog food and dropping medications to pay for other bills Gail.  THAT is NOT an "adjustment" that needs to be repeated or expanded!

 

A more humane "adjustment" would be to increase the cap on SS payment from earned income and using money from our over bloated military budget to help pay for Medicare.


Reagan fixed SS by a 20% increase in the rate AND a 50% increase in the "cap". Only reason it failed was he didn't keep the cap growing so it continued to cover 90% of income, and his Taxscam redistributed all the income growth to the top 10% where it wasn't contributing to the SSTF, but WAS increasing the portion of recepients who would draw the maximum payment.

 

Raise the "cap" to $250,000 and index it to cover 90% of income and SS is solvent for the forseeable future.

 

Also, it's Federal INSURANCE Contribution Act, and you don't collect on your insurance (in this case, loss of income) when the loss is less than your deductable - the part you DIDN'T insure. You only pay for the income UP TO THE CAP. So, if your income in retirement is MORE than the average of the "cap" under which you contributed, you've NOT suffered a loss you were insuring and should not get to collect.

 

Do that and the funds avaliable would be more than sufficient to ensure ALL Americans have a comfortable retirement instead of sending billions in insurance payments to those who suffered no insured loss.

 

People keep thinking SS is a retirement fund and it's not, never was. It's INSURANCE to keep you from living under a bridge eating Alpo in your golden years,not to pay part of your greens fees. If you don't suffer a loss, you should not collect, same as with all your other insurance. Insisting on paying those who suffer no loss is why many ARE living under a bridge eating Alpo after a lifetime of toil.


What has the so called "Reagan taxscam" to do with SS and medicare (the topics).

 

As to those Alpo eaters - they are not a factor since any plan does not effect current retirees.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: GOP CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

122 Views
Message 22 of 85

Olderscout66 wrote:

j77065g wrote:

Trim the fat that has burdened our benefits and that is health care given to individuals who haven't funded and quit fighting with negative remarks and cut what has been breaking the bank with socialistic platforms

 


Perfect example of why people vote for GOPers - they have no idea what the bumperstickers they repeat mean. WHAT "fat"? Care for the disabled, or at least the folks whose own behavior contributed to their disability, like obesity or smoking? WHO hasn't funded? People who only had to start working in middle age because of a Republican induced recession?

How is caring for our fellow Americans SOCIALIST? Do you favor all for-profit agencies providing services? City police replaced with rentacops? City Fire "Companies" replaced with Fire CORPORATIONS who only squirt water on buidlings that have made payments? Hospitals that practice economic triage so you're treated based on your bank balance instead of the severity of your injury? How about that good ol' Marxist dogma "HE WHO DOES NOT WORK WILL NOT EAT", so no Social Security because you never get to stop working.


"Socialist"? - what does your crazy idea about Fire Companies have to do with this topic? First of all no one has proposed it. Secondly, when you apply for disability benefits, "need" is the determining factor. When your house is on fire - the situation is the determining factor.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: GOP CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

119 Views
Message 23 of 85

myexper wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Tom5678 wrote:
GOP wants to do away with our safety net. Totally and completely. Is it Nov. 2018 yet???? Throw the bums out. Clueless party.

Any proposal I've ever seen has exempted anyone on or nearing retirement age. So, "our" safety net is safe.


You conveniently forget that the Republican demand to implement the Chained CPI to SS COLA will cut Social Security benefits for EVERYBODY!!!!!


Totally unrelated to the need for a long-term fix.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: GOP CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

113 Views
Message 24 of 85

myexper wrote:

GailL1 wrote:

@myexper

 

You asked:

"So what happens to those who are NOT nearing retirement or retired"

 

They will adjust just like we did when changes were made by President Reagan and Speaker Tip O'Neill to save the SS system back in 1983. 

 


Too many seniors are already resorting to eating dog food and dropping medications to pay for other bills Gail.  THAT is NOT an "adjustment" that needs to be repeated or expanded!

 

A more humane "adjustment" would be to increase the cap on SS payment from earned income and using money from our over bloated military budget to help pay for Medicare.


Those "dog food eating" seniors are not a factor - any proposals refer to the not yet retired or near retirement. But you know that so why do you resort to such emotional fraudulence?

 

Military spending is an appropriate function of the federal government, feeding people is not.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: GOP CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

111 Views
Message 25 of 85

Tom5678 wrote:
I have seen all the headlines today about what the GOP is going after in 2018, and it will be "entitlement reform." Now if by "reform" you mean cuts to these, then I am very worried, but if you want to make these programs stronger to be able to be there for loved ones down the road, when it's their time, and if you work with the Democrats to that end, then I will have an open mind. Only if "reform" means strengthen and preserve mind you.My concern is that it does not.

Do you have a solution to offer other than increase the money the government puts in??

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: GOP CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

93 Views
Message 26 of 85

myexper wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

myexper wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

mandm84 wrote:

As long as you got yours it's ok rk9152 ?


Did you miss the words  "our" safety net accidentally or on purpose?


The "our" refers to people on or nearing retirement.

 

So what happens to those who are NOT nearing retirement or retired rk?

 

Did you "miss those words accidentally or on purpose"?

 

The comment to you "as long as you got yours it's OK" does indeed apply to yourself rk .... as it has in all the government assistance programs that you regularly condemn!

 

 


You seem unable to comprehend the difference between an earned retirement package be it government, union, or private and an unearned program based on need. They are really two separate entities and should be discussed separately.


No rk .... I completely "comprehend" your evasion from the fact that you believe "as long as you get yours it's OK"!

 

You stated "Any proposal I've ever seen has exempted anyone on or nearing retirement age. So, "our" safety net is safe." ....... And in THIS DISCUSSION rk .... and relative to Social Security and Medicare rk!!!

 

So you are not concerned about those NOT currently nearing retirement or NOT in retirement.  So long as you believe that you'll "get yours" .... it's no problemo!!!!

 

 

It is understood by intelligent people that things are constantly in flux. Such people understand that the programs are in a situation whereby they will be going belly up in the time frame to be of concern of the people under discussion. Hence, intelligent people look at these programs as something more than merely a tool to attack the president (or fellow posters).


 

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: GOP CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

108 Views
Message 27 of 85


myexper wrote:

GailL1 wrote:

@myexper

 

You asked:

"So what happens to those who are NOT nearing retirement or retired"

 

They will adjust just like we did when changes were made by President Reagan and Speaker Tip O'Neill to save the SS system back in 1983. 

 


Too many seniors are already resorting to eating dog food and dropping medications to pay for other bills Gail.  THAT is NOT an "adjustment" that needs to be repeated or expanded!

 

A more humane "adjustment" would be to increase the cap on SS payment from earned income and using money from our over bloated military budget to help pay for Medicare.


Reagan fixed SS by a 20% increase in the rate AND a 50% increase in the "cap". Only reason it failed was he didn't keep the cap growing so it continued to cover 90% of income, and his Taxscam redistributed all the income growth to the top 10% where it wasn't contributing to the SSTF, but WAS increasing the portion of recepients who would draw the maximum payment.

 

Raise the "cap" to $250,000 and index it to cover 90% of income and SS is solvent for the forseeable future.

 

Also, it's Federal INSURANCE Contribution Act, and you don't collect on your insurance (in this case, loss of income) when the loss is less than your deductable - the part you DIDN'T insure. You only pay for the income UP TO THE CAP. So, if your income in retirement is MORE than the average of the "cap" under which you contributed, you've NOT suffered a loss you were insuring and should not get to collect.

 

Do that and the funds avaliable would be more than sufficient to ensure ALL Americans have a comfortable retirement instead of sending billions in insurance payments to those who suffered no insured loss.

 

People keep thinking SS is a retirement fund and it's not, never was. It's INSURANCE to keep you from living under a bridge eating Alpo in your golden years,not to pay part of your greens fees. If you don't suffer a loss, you should not collect, same as with all your other insurance. Insisting on paying those who suffer no loss is why many ARE living under a bridge eating Alpo after a lifetime of toil.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: GOP CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

91 Views
Message 28 of 85

j77065g wrote:

Trim the fat that has burdened our benefits and that is health care given to individuals who haven't funded and quit fighting with negative remarks and cut what has been breaking the bank with socialistic platforms

 


Perfect example of why people vote for GOPers - they have no idea what the bumperstickers they repeat mean. WHAT "fat"? Care for the disabled, or at least the folks whose own behavior contributed to their disability, like obesity or smoking? WHO hasn't funded? People who only had to start working in middle age because of a Republican induced recession?

How is caring for our fellow Americans SOCIALIST? Do you favor all for-profit agencies providing services? City police replaced with rentacops? City Fire "Companies" replaced with Fire CORPORATIONS who only squirt water on buidlings that have made payments? Hospitals that practice economic triage so you're treated based on your bank balance instead of the severity of your injury? How about that good ol' Marxist dogma "HE WHO DOES NOT WORK WILL NOT EAT", so no Social Security because you never get to stop working.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: GOP CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

88 Views
Message 29 of 85

rk9152 wrote:

Tom5678 wrote:
GOP wants to do away with our safety net. Totally and completely. Is it Nov. 2018 yet???? Throw the bums out. Clueless party.

Any proposal I've ever seen has exempted anyone on or nearing retirement age. So, "our" safety net is safe.


You conveniently forget that the Republican demand to implement the Chained CPI to SS COLA will cut Social Security benefits for EVERYBODY!!!!!

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: GOP CUTS TO MEDICARE & SOCIAL SECURITY

85 Views
Message 30 of 85

GailL1 wrote:

@myexper

 

You asked:

"So what happens to those who are NOT nearing retirement or retired"

 

They will adjust just like we did when changes were made by President Reagan and Speaker Tip O'Neill to save the SS system back in 1983. 

 


Too many seniors are already resorting to eating dog food and dropping medications to pay for other bills Gail.  THAT is NOT an "adjustment" that needs to be repeated or expanded!

 

A more humane "adjustment" would be to increase the cap on SS payment from earned income and using money from our over bloated military budget to help pay for Medicare.

Report Inappropriate Content