Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Filibuster Gorsuch Nomination

[ Edited ]
Message 11 of 12 (129 Views)

albion61--What the Republicans did to Garland wasn't unpresidented, but that doesn't make it right, and their reasons for doing so were transparent--a total right wing take over of our Supreme Court.  I must keep remembering that often justices appointed and confirmed have surprised those who have supported them and voted in ways that displeased the one time supporters. but, knowing this man's history, I don't believe my own hopeful thoughts.

Sadly, whether an anacronism or not, the Dems feel they might have to do this, if for no other reason than making their point. 

Thank you for your post!

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Frequent Social Butterfly

Filibuster Gorsuch Nomination

Message 12 of 12 (129 Views)

Senate Republicans refused to hold hearings on president Obama's nominee to the Supreme Court, not because he wasn't qualified, and not because it wasn't their obligation under the Constitution, but because Republican Senators invented a new qualifier for the appointment of a justice. Their specious reasoning, which demeaned with contempt the Senate, and the Court, and the Constitution, was "Let the voters decide." This abrogation of their Constitutional duty in favor of blatant partisanship damaged our democracy. They should not be rewarded for it by allowing Gorsuch to become a justice. They poisoned the well so let them drink from it. If it takes a "nuclear option" to change Senate rules by eliminating the filibuster in order to seat Gorsuch with a simple majority vote, let them procede.

Filibuster is an anachronism from the good old days anyway, enacted to prove the abiding comity of the Senate. Back in the days of yore when it was still politically possible for Senators to put the best interests of their country ahead of the interests of their party.