Tune into AARP’s Facebook Live Résumé Q&A Wednesday, 4 p.m. EDT | Facebook.com/AARP

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: FAR RIGHT OR LIBERAL - NO MIDDLE GROUND

Message 1 of 153 (180 Views)

gruffstuff wrote:

FAR RIGHT OR LIBERAL - NO MIDDLE GROUND

Today's " liberals " are like 1956 Republicans.

Yep they are...

558661_10151156320972722_1040940371_n.jpg

In the intervening years, republicans have turned into "naz-guls"...

KAKISTOCRACY
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 153 (182 Views)

FAR RIGHT OR LIBERAL - NO MIDDLE GROUND

Today's " liberals " are like 1956 Republicans.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 153 (197 Views)

rker321 wrote:

Are we now tryin to emulate Trump?. 

I recall JFK was laughed at due to his accent and speech.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 153 (201 Views)

I am going to point out something  to all of you
We have criticized Trump for his language, lack of restrain and completely idiotic remarks.

And yet, we have followed in this thread with a lot of unrestrained language, and many idiotic remarks.
Are we now tryin to emulate Trump?. 

Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 153 (208 Views)

MaVolta wrote:

As for corporations paying taxes . . . well since the SC of the land has ruled that corporations are people, for the benefit of making political contributions, then I would argue that they should pay taxes the same as people do. 

I hear ya, but again, when you or I pay taxes - we pay taxes. When  a corporation pays taxes, that cost gets passed along to the consumer. From that perspective, it would make sense to eliminate all corporate taxes since they are like sales taxes which some consider regressive.

Now let me get this straight. It's okay if they make political contributions, as much as they want, but if they pay taxes it gets passed on to the consumer? Political contributions are not tax deductible, so doesn't it stand to figure that that it becomes part of the bottom line, and that cost is passed along as well? Got to make up for it somewhere. Or what about money better spent on salaries for their employees rather than political campaigns? They are either people and should pay taxes, or they are not and should not make political contributions as such. Can't have it both ways, would you agree?

I'm not talking about political contribution. I think we agree that is a problem but frankly, I do not have an answer.

I was referring to corporation taxes and pointing out that it is probably the consumer actually paying those taxes. They are included in "the cost of doing business", hence are part of the price charged. 

If we consider all of the money spent to buy influence in Washington, either by election funding or by furnishing "perks" to certain MoC, that if it were redirected to the Treasury, we could easily pay down the federal deficit, and probably have money to spare. 

I don't know what MoC means.

Members of Congress. 

Thank you.

I agree but as I said above, I just don't know how to stop it. McCain-Feingold was supposed to "take the money out of politics" and before the ink was dry, the "work arounds" were figured out. Instead of the money going to the Parties, it now goes to the PACs.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 153 (212 Views)

mandm84 wrote:

rk9152 , before you keep crying for the poor corporations , which are already at the lowest tax rate on record , Do you realize those Taxes support so many critical programs including pensions !!!

Gratitude my friend !!!

Please read before responding. That tends to create much more intelligent responses.

There is nowhere in my post that I cried for the poor corporations.

Rather than complicating things too much - I'd ask that you go back and reread and see if the above doesn't make sense. Then we can go on.

If there is something you do not understand as to my theory of who really pays the taxes - ask and we can work it out.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 153 (220 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

MaVolta wrote:

The only way to get corruption out of the system is to change it. So let's just close up the loopholes everywhere, shall we? Yes, how libertarian of me.

Sometimes "loop-holes" serve a desired purpose. Like when a States offers a "tax holiday" to encourage a business to move there. I can't disagree with your thinking though. Let taxes be used to pay the bills - period.

Specifically, I was talking about income tax loop-holes, but okay.

As for corporations paying taxes . . . well since the SC of the land has ruled that corporations are people, for the benefit of making political contributions, then I would argue that they should pay taxes the same as people do. 

I hear ya, but again, when you or I pay taxes - we pay taxes. When  a corporation pays taxes, that cost gets passed along to the consumer. From that perspective, it would make sense to eliminate all corporate taxes since they are like sales taxes which some consider regressive.

Now let me get this straight. It's okay if they make political contributions, as much as they want, but if they pay taxes it gets passed on to the consumer? Political contributions are not tax deductible, so doesn't it stand to figure that that it becomes part of the bottom line, and that cost is passed along as well? Got to make up for it somewhere. Or what about money better spent on salaries for their employees rather than political campaigns? They are either people and should pay taxes, or they are not and should not make political contributions as such. Can't have it both ways, would you agree?

If we consider all of the money spent to buy influence in Washington, either by election funding or by furnishing "perks" to certain MoC, that if it were redirected to the Treasury, we could easily pay down the federal deficit, and probably have money to spare. 

Members of Congress. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 153 (230 Views)

mandm84 wrote:

Taxes support so many critical programs including pensions !!!

Isn't the corporate contribution tax deductible?

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 9 of 153 (240 Views)

rk9152 , before you keep crying for the poor corporations , which are already at the lowest tax rate on record , Do you realize those Taxes support so many critical programs including pensions !!!

Gratitude my friend !!!

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 153 (243 Views)

MaVolta wrote:

The only way to get corruption out of the system is to change it. So let's just close up the loopholes everywhere, shall we? Yes, how libertarian of me.

Sometimes "loop-holes" serve a desired purpose. Like when a States offers a "tax holiday" to encourage a business to move there. I can't disagree with your thinking though. Let taxes be used to pay the bills - period.