AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Dems Lack of Competence Evident W/Gorsuch

284 Views
Message 11 of 23

Mick, somewhat lame to suggest others must have forgotten, don't you think?

 

BTW, so far, I'm quite impressed with Gorsuch, just as I was with what I knew about Garland.  But I do appreciate your concern.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Dems Lack of Competence Evident W/Gorsuch

298 Views
Message 12 of 23

These are the Comments from someone in the Democratic Leadership - shes been in the US Senate since 1992 - talk about a Dinosaur - whats she done lately for Democrats

 

The top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee says she is impressed with President Donald Trump’s nominee for the Supreme Court.

 

California Sen. Dianne Feinstein met with Judge Neil Gorsuch on Monday. She said Tuesday that

 

“he’s a very caring person and he’s obviously legally very smart.”

 

She added: “I think we are dealing with someone who is impressive, so we’ll see.”

 

She stopped short of saying she would vote for him, noting it’s a lifetime appointment and Gorsuch is only 49. Last week, Feinstein had said she wanted to take time to consider his record.

 

“We need time to do our work so that we can make a decision and make remarks that will stand the test of time, and not be cheap shots, or bad or rushed,” Feinstein said last week. 

 

Because of expected Democratic procedural maneuvers, Republicans will need the support of 60 out of the Senate’s 100 members to move to a confirmation vote on Gorsuch. Republicans have a 52-48 majority, so at least eight Democrats will have to vote with Republicans. 

 

My BET is the Democrats will wimp out or the Republicans will go Nuclear

 

Source -http://www.cbsnews.com/news/dianne-feinstein-says-of-neil-gorsuch-that-shes-impressed/

 

 

( " Eat Tic Tacs - Grope Woman - Become President " ) " - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Dems Lack of Competence Evident W/Gorsuch

293 Views
Message 13 of 23

Judge Neil Gorsuch, President Donald Trump’s nominee to the Supreme Court, may have a sneaking sympathy for companies that discriminate against women in the workplace.

 

That’s one conclusion to draw from a troubling anecdote recounted by Jennifer Sisk, a former law student of Gorsuch’s, in a letter sent to the Senate Judiciary Committee ahead of the judge’s confirmation hearing this week.

 

In a class discussion last year, Sisk said that Gorsuch pushed students to consider that women may manipulate employers by becoming pregnant, taking maternity leave and then quitting their jobs.

 

(The judge was teaching a course on legal ethics and professionalism at the University of Colorado Law School.)

 

Companies have to ask women about their motherhood plans to protect themselves, Gorsuch said, according to Sisk’s account. He didn’t raise similar concerns about male employees, she said.

 

Source - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/neil-gorsuch-working-women_us_58cff5afe4b0ec9d29dd9e93?zei&

 

 

( " Eat Tic Tacs - Grope Woman - Become President " ) " - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Dems Lack of Competence Evident W/Gorsuch

293 Views
Message 14 of 23
Centristsin2010 wrote:
mickstuder wrote:
Centristsin2010 wrote:

 

Thanks, Mick.  You answered my question.  You totally misunderstood my question though when you suggest I was making an argument.  I wasn't; it was a simple question of you and your belief.  Your response indicates you believe all Democrats should think alike and vote alike for the benefit of their party's views.  Independent thinking isn't preferred.

 

IMO, it furthers the "we vs. them" partisan fights.  It is what it is....

That's a poor Characterization of my response - I think I clearly stated that there are specific times when Pure Partisanship is not only pertinent but required - Supreme Court Nominations are one of those times.   I think my characterization is spot on, as you've indicated in the preceeding comment.

 

......................because they are a Lifetime Nomination and especially with this President who intends to Steamroll all the gains made by Progressives over the last 50 years  Many Dems think Gorsuch will make a good supreme court justice.  But your suggesting they "take one for the team".  That's fine for you, but not others.  Some believe our representatives should be held accountable for being objective, just as their constituents are (lol).  Fact is, many constituents aren't objective at all and just want their CongressCritter to vote along party lines.  Not moi.  I vote for the candidate who will do what's best for our country.  If it's not along party lines, just let us know why that's the case.  Some will agree and some won't.  Cool, huh?

 

The first place reasonable people go for relief against  injustices - is the legal system as we've seen with the Muslim Ban - it's critical - Gorsuch will defend strict Conservatism Many intelligent people disagree, even a few in the Democratic Congress seats.  and most of Trumps policies as do a Majority in Congress will give this court a Conservative Majority again now and for decades to come  

 

1. Gun Contol

2. Womans Rights

3. Healthcare

4. Muslim Bans

5. More Citizens United

 

And do you think the White House would ever nominate a candidate you'd approve of?  Hardly.

 

We just went through 8 years of Republican Obstructionism - now were going to go through at least 4 years of Republican Authoritarianism - Yep....that's what happens when millions of voter "sit it out".  you think the Republicans in Congress will respond to diplomacy - Why should they?  Their constituants couldn't care less.   will be interested in Bi-partisanship - Why should they?  Their constituants couldn't care less. where is there any evidence of that ?  Why would you expect any?

How Quickly They Forget

 

Merland Garland had Bi-partisan support

 

After winning the November 1996 presidential election, Clinton renominated Garland on January 7, 1997.[33] Garland's confirmation vote came to floor of the Republican-controlled Senate on March 19, 1997. He was confirmed in a 76–23 vote and received his judicial commission the next day.[34] The majority of Republican senators voted to confirm Garland, including Senators John McCain, Orrin Hatch, Susan Collins, and Jim Inhofe

 

Source - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrick_Garland

 

Ever Hear of Merland Garland - probably forgot - it has been a entire year that the Republican Controlled Congress not only wouldn't even give Obama's Nomineee a Hearing - Republicans cared so little about the Country they allowed the US Supreme Court to go over a year with only 8 Justices which caused hundreds of Important Cases to go Unheard because the Court would not hear them fearing a Tie

 

Now here we have some AGAIN talking about Democrats needing to be the only ones to Worry About the Country and be passive gutless participants while whats left of the Middle Class is Exterminated

 

This is the same kind of thinking that continues to Destroy the Democratic Party - You Don't Bring A Knife to Gun Fight and you can;t Help the Country by continuing to allow Republicans to pass

 

Tax Laws that only help the Rich

 

Healthcare Laws that only help the Rich

 

That get rid of the Funding for Woman and Children - by Cutting the Budgets for PBS & PP

 

Have Elections That are Bought by the Rich because of Citizens United

 

And put a Liar and a Crook and Anti-American Communist Loving Criminal in the Whitehouse

 

And have it all protected by a Republican Controlled Supreme Court

 

 

( " Eat Tic Tacs - Grope Woman - Become President " ) " - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Dems Lack of Competence Evident W/Gorsuch

293 Views
Message 15 of 23

MICK--I did hear that Dems are going to stage a filibuster to keep Gorsuch out as long as possible--but I'm sure he'll be confirmed--another Trump puppet, this judge has a history of siding with coorporations, rather than the individual, and many are worried he will be the one to help right leaning judges do away with Roe v Wade.  Gotta say, Supreme Court Justices or not, that seems pretty clueless, and I'm hoping that somewhere during the time Trump is in office, some sort of sanity will prevail.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Dems Lack of Competence Evident W/Gorsuch

295 Views
Message 16 of 23

Cent - Your response indicates you believe all Democrats should think alike and vote alike for the benefit of their party's views.  Independent thinking isn't preferred.

 

I think, for the benefit of the country, there should be NO Supreme Court justices appointed until we have concluded & wrapped up all Russian investigations.  I would go so far to say, if possible, no legislation should be signed by dt until we know the truth and details of his involvement.  I'll include investigations into his conflicts of interest in this package.

I don't know how appointments and legislations could be undone.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Dems Lack of Competence Evident W/Gorsuch

313 Views
Message 17 of 23

mickstuder wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:


 

Thanks, Mick.  You answered my question.  You totally misunderstood my question though when you suggest I was making an argument.  I wasn't; it was a simple question of you and your belief.  Your response indicates you believe all Democrats should think alike and vote alike for the benefit of their party's views.  Independent thinking isn't preferred.

 

IMO, it furthers the "we vs. them" partisan fights.  It is what it is....


That's a poor Characterization of my response - I think I clearly stated that there are specific times when Pure Partisanship is not only pertinent but required - Supreme Court Nominations are one of those times.   I think my characterization is spot on, as you've indicated in the preceeding comment.

 

......................because they are a Lifetime Nomination and especially with this President who intends to Steamroll all the gains made by Progressives over the last 50 years  Many Dems think Gorsuch will make a good supreme court justice.  But your suggesting they "take one for the team".  That's fine for you, but not others.  Some believe our representatives should be held accountable for being objective, just as their constituents are (lol).  Fact is, many constituents aren't objective at all and just want their CongressCritter to vote along party lines.  Not moi.  I vote for the candidate who will do what's best for our country.  If it's not along party lines, just let us know why that's the case.  Some will agree and some won't.  Cool, huh?

 

The first place reasonable people go for relief against  injustices - is the legal system as we've seen with the Muslim Ban - it's critical - Gorsuch will defend strict Conservatism Many intelligent people disagree, even a few in the Democratic Congress seats.  and most of Trumps policies as do a Majority in Congress will give this court a Conservative Majority again now and for decades to come  

 

1. Gun Contol

2. Womans Rights

3. Healthcare

4. Muslim Bans

5. More Citizens United

 

And do you think the White House would ever nominate a candidate you'd approve of?  Hardly.

 

We just went through 8 years of Republican Obstructionism - now were going to go through at least 4 years of Republican Authoritarianism - Yep....that's what happens when millions of voter "sit it out".  you think the Republicans in Congress will respond to diplomacy - Why should they?  Their constituants couldn't care less.   will be interested in Bi-partisanship - Why should they?  Their constituants couldn't care less. where is there any evidence of that ?  Why would you expect any?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Dems Lack of Competence Evident W/Gorsuch

313 Views
Message 18 of 23

Centristsin2010 wrote:


 

Thanks, Mick.  You answered my question.  You totally misunderstood my question though when you suggest I was making an argument.  I wasn't; it was a simple question of you and your belief.  Your response indicates you believe all Democrats should think alike and vote alike for the benefit of their party's views.  Independent thinking isn't preferred.

 

IMO, it furthers the "we vs. them" partisan fights.  It is what it is....


That's a poor Characterization of my response - I think I clearly stated that there are specific times when Pure Partisanship is not only pertinent but required - Supreme Court Nominations are one of those times.......................because they are a Lifetime Nomination and especially with this President who intends to Steamroll all the gains made by Progressives over the last 50 years

 

The first place reasonable people go for relief against  injustices - is the legal system as we've seen with the Muslim Ban - it's critical - Gorsuch will defend strict Conservatism and most of Trumps policies as do a Majority in Congress will give this court a Conservative Majority again now and for decades to come

 

1. Gun Contol

2. Womans Rights

3. Healthcare

4. Muslim Bans

5. More Citizens United

 

We just went through 8 years of Republican Obstructionism - now were going to go through at least 4 years of Republican Authoritarianism - you think the Republicans in Congress will respond to diplomacy - will be interested in Bi-partisanship - where is there any evidence of that ?

 

 

( " Eat Tic Tacs - Grope Woman - Become President " ) " - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Dems Lack of Competence Evident W/Gorsuch

330 Views
Message 19 of 23

mickstuder wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but it sounds like you support the parties being totally partisan and doing what's best for the party vs. what's best for the country.  Is that correct?


You're Mistaken

 

I don;t think I intimated that anywhere - my argument is - WHEN - there is an occasion where your Constituents know they are going to - Take it on the Chin Again - not just for a week or a month or even a four year term but possibly for the next 40 years - it would be nice if your teamates didn't play half speed and weren't helping the other teams players up off the ground every play to rub it in even more

 

Politics like everything else is about Attitude & Optics - and Choices

 

Manchin did not need to Publicly state his desire to vote for Gorsuch - he made that choice and I find it offensive as a Progressive - it wasn;t necessary as a Democratic Strategy only a Personal One

 

Bennet did not have to Introduce Gorsush to the Senate - he made that choice and I find it offensive as a Progressive - it wasn;t necessary as a Democratic Strategy only a Personal One

 

 

Does anyone actually beleive having Gorsuch on the Court is going to re-enforce or promote any Democratic Principles or Ideals or even be Good For The Country?

 

Overturning Roe v Wade is Good For the Country?

 

Banning Muslims is Going to be Good For the Country?

 

Overturning Obamacare is Going to Good for the Country?

 

Allowing more Presidential Authority is Going to be Good for the Country

 

Allowing the Country to be Run by the Admistrative Branch is Good For the Country

 

More Guns on the Streets in the Hands of anyone even the Mentally Ill is Going to be Good for the Country?

 

These are the kinds of things - Gorsuch Nomination & Confirmation Signals to the Country - that these kinds of Conservative Values are what we should be supporting as Democrats

 

If the answer to all that is no - then why not at least feed your base some encouragment that your against him and his Conservative Principles and Values

 

There are rare opportunities where demonstrating Pure Partisanship is not only good but required - Supreme Court Nominations is one such opportuntity - especially when Solidarity cost you nothing

 

Do you think Gorsuch will lean more Liberal in his rulings because Manchin supported him publicly or Bennet introduced him or Warren votes for his confirmation?

 

No, well then when if it's a lose - lose how about you at least defend your core principles and support your base who need all the encouragement you can provide after getting throttled in the election because of your bad decisions and strategies and now many of the battles they fought and won over the last 50 years are threatened by a Conservative Supreme Court Majority for decades to come  

 

Remember, we are in this Predicament because of the Horrible Strategy and the Damaged Candidate the Democratic Leadership developed as the Game Plan and who the best QB would be to beat the Republicans in the recent Presidential Election

 

I didn;t get to vote on who the Nominee would be or what the strategy would be or even what the Platform for the DNC would be - it was all the Democratic Party Establishment and their corrupt Good Ole Boy process that involves Super Delegates and Insider Trading at Caucuses and Democratic Leadership & Esablishment Support for their preferred candidate to the detriment of all others even in the Primaries

 

If your argument is we should never be Partisan - I guess we could all pretend that if we look at many of Trumps proposals during the Campaign and some of the positions he's taking as President that are in direct conflict with traditional Conservative Principles.................

 

Well then maybe all us Democrats should get on the Trump Bandwagon a lot of the time as well - we should publicly support him - For the Good of Country.

 

Thanks, Mick.  You answered my question.  You totally misunderstood my question though when you suggest I was making an argument.  I wasn't; it was a simple question of you and your belief.  Your response indicates you believe all Democrats should think alike and vote alike for the benefit of their party's views.  Independent thinking isn't preferred.

 

IMO, it furthers the "we vs. them" partisan fights.  It is what it is....


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Dems Lack of Competence Evident W/Gorsuch

327 Views
Message 20 of 23

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but it sounds like you support the parties being totally partisan and doing what's best for the party vs. what's best for the country.  Is that correct?


You're Mistaken

 

I don;t think I intimated that anywhere - my argument is - WHEN - there is an occasion where your Constituents know they are going to - Take it on the Chin Again - not just for a week or a month or even a four year term but possibly for the next 40 years - it would be nice if your teamates didn't play half speed and weren't helping the other teams players up off the ground every play to rub it in even more

 

Politics like everything else is about Attitude & Optics - and Choices

 

Manchin did not need to Publicly state his desire to vote for Gorsuch - he made that choice and I find it offensive as a Progressive - it wasn;t necessary as a Democratic Strategy only a Personal One

 

Bennet did not have to Introduce Gorsush to the Senate - he made that choice and I find it offensive as a Progressive - it wasn;t necessary as a Democratic Strategy only a Personal One

 

 

Does anyone actually beleive having Gorsuch on the Court is going to re-enforce or promote any Democratic Principles or Ideals or even be Good For The Country?

 

Overturning Roe v Wade is Good For the Country?

 

Banning Muslims is Going to be Good For the Country?

 

Overturning Obamacare is Going to Good for the Country?

 

Allowing more Presidential Authority is Going to be Good for the Country

 

Allowing the Country to be Run by the Admistrative Branch is Good For the Country

 

More Guns on the Streets in the Hands of anyone even the Mentally Ill is Going to be Good for the Country?

 

These are the kinds of things - Gorsuch Nomination & Confirmation Signals to the Country - that these kinds of Conservative Values are what we should be supporting as Democrats

 

If the answer to all that is no - then why not at least feed your base some encouragment that your against him and his Conservative Principles and Values

 

There are rare opportunities where demonstrating Pure Partisanship is not only good but required - Supreme Court Nominations is one such opportuntity - especially when Solidarity cost you nothing

 

Do you think Gorsuch will lean more Liberal in his rulings because Manchin supported him publicly or Bennet introduced him or Warren votes for his confirmation?

 

No, well then when if it's a lose - lose how about you at least defend your core principles and support your base who need all the encouragement you can provide after getting throttled in the election because of your bad decisions and strategies and now many of the battles they fought and won over the last 50 years are threatened by a Conservative Supreme Court Majority for decades to come  

 

Remember, we are in this Predicament because of the Horrible Strategy and the Damaged Candidate the Democratic Leadership developed as the Game Plan and who the best QB would be to beat the Republicans in the recent Presidential Election

 

I didn;t get to vote on who the Nominee would be or what the strategy would be or even what the Platform for the DNC would be - it was all the Democratic Party Establishment and their corrupt Good Ole Boy process that involves Super Delegates and Insider Trading at Caucuses and Democratic Leadership & Esablishment Support for their preferred candidate to the detriment of all others even in the Primaries

 

If your argument is we should never be Partisan - I guess we could all pretend that if we look at many of Trumps proposals during the Campaign and some of the positions he's taking as President that are in direct conflict with traditional Conservative Principles.................

 

Well then maybe all us Democrats should get on the Trump Bandwagon a lot of the time as well - we should publicly support him - For the Good of Country

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

( " Eat Tic Tacs - Grope Woman - Become President " ) " - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content