Caring for loved ones?

Find the resources you need

Community
Current Events

Valued Social Butterfly
GailL1

Re: Costly Change To pay this Minimum Wage & Overtime Protection

Olderscout66 wrote:

The idea that those who care for our parents and grandparents deserve lower pay than those who cut our hair or clean our streets is typically Republican. Just another small group that they decided could be enslaved without many people noticing. So now emancipation comes, and the RW react like the plantation owners did 150 years ago. Why is it only ONE political party that always opposes acts that benefit those in the 99%?

1.  The origins to the law that classified these workers as a type of babysitter originated in 1974.

"In 1974, Congress extended the minimum wage and overtime protections of the Fair LaborStandard Act to almost all domestic service workers. At the same time, it created limited exemptions from the law for casual babysitters and companions for the aged or infirm. But Labor Department regulations issued the following year defined “companionship” overly broadly, so that home care workers were included in the companionship exemption. The impact of this overly broad exemption grew as the home care industry, barely in existence four decades ago, ballooned into a major component of our nation’s healthcare system."

http://www.nelp.org/page/-/Justice/2013/NELP-Fact-Sheet-Companionship-Rules-Reform.pdf

Medicare and/or Medicaid could have changed this decades ago when these sort of workers became so important to the health care industry.  But like drawpoker said,  Medicare and Medicaid go through agencies (nonprofit and for profit) to pay for these workers.

I do not think this was a result of any partisanship - I just think this part of the law wasn't change when home care started to explode.

BTW, the classication of "companionship" did not change. 

http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs25.htm

Per the above link:  "Employees providing "companionship services" as defined by the FLSA need not be paid the minimum wage or overtime."

Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
Olderscout66

rk3 - Now is definately the time to look into home care services - when you really need it, it's sorta like when you really need the ER - no time to price compare.

On a lighter side, cruise ships cost $500-600 a week, making them a real deal comapred to home care, so if you and your spouse are still ambulatory when the time comes, you might consider the

Please use plain text.
Recognized Social Butterfly
drawpoker

Again,  you are using a broad brush to paint.  It may be true where you live.  But not everywhere

"For Medicare or Medicaid to pay, the agency, many times a "non-profit agency, has to be cerified with Medicare."

You forget that although Medicaid is a federal program,  each state is allowed to set different rules.

In our county,  every elderly or disabled person who is Medicaid-approved and eligible for a home health aide (They are NOT certified CNA's) gets one from the group of contractual workers that the local social services office hires.  They do not get them thru an agency (yet,  the state may go to that eventually) But for now DSS contracts with them directly.  Altho they are getting better than average wages for our area,  most of them leave a lot to be desired.  Neglect and failure to follow instructions all the way up to petty theft  ( or "mysterious disappearance"  LOL)  They go thru a cursory,  local police check.  Fingerprinting,  yes.  But don't you know that is not to check nationwide to see if they have a record elsewhere?  Nah.   Those fingerprints are useful After a crime has been committed.  The public  here really gets fooled on that one. 

So please emphasize that what you post is only applicable to your area,  not necessarily the U.S. as a whole.   

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
Olderscout66

Gail - Interesting - wonder if that's when they decided working for tips also excluded you from a minimum wage.

My spouse and I are seriously considering a cruise ship as an alternative to assisted living - foods better, you get to see new sights, and it costs less.(tongue only a little bit in my cheek)

Please use plain text.
Treasured Social Butterfly
DaveMcK

Need I say more!

Posted by Dave the Lighthouse Keeper
Please use plain text.
Recognized Social Butterfly
drawpoker

"are seriously considering a cruise ship as an alternative to assisted living - foods better, you get to see new sights, and it costs less........."

Yup,  I hear one of those new sights you will get to see is the ship's infirmary   -  better have a good Medigap plan 

LOL    

Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
GailL1

rker321 wrote:
We live in a society in thwich the culture is that we don't take care of our elderly. In many countries it would be unheard of not to take care of the elderly in our families, parents, grandparents, uncles, aunts etc.
But here is everyone for themselves. so,, we have the problems that the type of culture fosters.

No, it seems that in any country that is having a huge number of elderly to care for is having many of the same problems.

Like Japan - Bloomberg Businessweek 02/28/2013 In Japan, the Rising Cost of Elder Care—and Dying Alone

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-02-28/in-japan-the-rising-cost-of-elder-care-and-dying-alo...

Now this is a country that at one time was known for how families took care of their elderly.  Guess it is a problem with the Confusian values and the ole pocketbook.

I read an article recently about the same elder care problems in Canada too but sorry I can't find it right now.  Canada also had a baby boom after WWII.  So we are all hitting the big age climax at similar times.

Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
GailL1

Dave, I think you missed the rest of the thread where I showed that this labor rule originated in 1974 -

This rule was put in place BEFORE home care was even thought about so I don't think that your pictorial statement is even revelant in this regards.

BTW, the payers for this service has been primarily by Medicare/Medicaid through the agencies that they hire to perform the task.

Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
rker321

Gal what you state may be true, but I really don't remember as to when in this society we had extended families.
Perhaps you know about this more than I do. Because in the past 50 years, I have seen that the elderly is seldom taken care in the home by the family.
Please use plain text.
Valued Social Butterfly
GailL1

I'd have to check on that "tip" thing - don't know, last time I waited tables or served drinks was college years and I made so much in tips that I didn't care what the hourly wage was - the type of establishment has a lots to do with the money you earn in that profession + how good you are at your job.

BTW,   

Sorry... I had left something without saying on that day, as you did ...:heart:

Please use plain text.