How Does Your Brain Score? Take the Staying Sharp Brain Health Assessment

Highlighted
Regular Social Butterfly

Re: Congressional bill HR 1313---GENETIC TESTING TO GET COST OF MEDICALINSURANCE REDUCED or INCREASE

Message 1 of 8 (157 Views)

Here's an explanation of the bill.

Employees who decline genetic testing could face penalties under proposed bill

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/03/11/employees-who-decline-genetic-tes...

Info Seeker

Re: Congressional bill HR 1313---GENETIC TESTING TO GET COST OF MEDICALINSURANCE REDUCED or INCREASE

Message 2 of 8 (165 Views)

Yes the bill does have the potential for good. MY question is why did the originators of the bill NOT  change the genetic law to include these new ideas. The law on the books is -- Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008 (GINA) . When the WELLNESS PROGRAMS was introducted it looked very promising and could of been a very good tool to help people. The down side was THAT People have been fired because of the WELLNESS PROGRAM. So if they wanted to help it should of gone through the GENETIC LAW on the books.It did not.WHY?

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 3 of 8 (172 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

I read the bill. Genetic testing is part of a wellness program to determine how best to proceed with a person's health care. In the bill, there is a reference to non-discrimination for illnesses discovered during genetic testing.

How you perceive this depends on how cynical you are. The stated attempt of the bill is to use new, genetic techniques to discover illnesses, or potential, and be treated proactively. 

Not being cynical simply pragmatic. a couple of years ago, I decided to go back to work and started interviewing for simple jobs nothing spectacular. in the application, they ask you for your drivers's license number. In florida, the middle number in your driver's licence is the year of your birth so your age is known no matter what. I found out, that although over qualified i was not being hired. and I started to wonder why, I finally realize that my age could be an issue. So,, I started to lie about my driver's license number, after all my jog requirements had nothing to do with driving. Well guess what, I started gettin offers, I am lucky that I really look younger than my age so it became quite easy to be accepted as the age that I had put down. I even wrote letter to the governor Bush at the time, and claimed  age discrimination. but never anything came out of it.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 8 (182 Views)

I read the bill. Genetic testing is part of a wellness program to determine how best to proceed with a person's health care. In the bill, there is a reference to non-discrimination for illnesses discovered during genetic testing.

How you perceive this depends on how cynical you are. The stated attempt of the bill is to use new, genetic techniques to discover illnesses, or potential, and be treated proactively. 

“The world is a book. Those who do not travel read only one page.”
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 5 of 8 (197 Views)

As I understand this legislation (and I strongly oppose)  because it be mandatory within 45 days and there is zero guarantee that this information will be held as private by the employer.    In most Right to Work states, that would mean that if a person failed to have this testing performed, then they could be fired without cause during the first 90 days.     aka Blackmail by Insurance company in conjunction with employer.   

Info Seeker

Message 6 of 8 (212 Views)

Yes I do not convey my thoughts very good.Only blue class worker (give me different tools and I can do any thing) and never had to write more than one or two sentences. Not an excuse but just life. The two points I was attempting to bring to people minds  1- cost of future medical insurance. 2- Future employment for the person taking the genetic test or family members.

I had cancer very young  and went for a job in the early 70's (only 18) . I was almost NOT HIRED because the Dr noticed that I had put that I had cancer. He said he would take a chance on me.I have never had a relapse. Now I doubt if the same company would hire me today.

I do NOT want to get into the politics but my genetic material should be private as far as I am concerned. It should not be used as a tool to deprive me or my family members of possible future employment.

Regular Social Butterfly

Message 7 of 8 (275 Views)

Welcome to our World!

I am having a rough time interpreting your post with no paragraphs but think the jest of it is insurance may soon be subject to dna testing?

If that is the topic, I disagree with you; I lost 5 aunties to breast cancer and 1 to colon cancer; I lost 1 uncle to tornado and 1 uncle to "death" (age 67).

If my family history puts me or my adult daughters at more risk, then I am (and they are) willing to pay more to have that covered should the issue arise.

If another family has not the same history, why should they pay?

This has been an issue for me for 20 years; why am I, a single woman non-child-bearing age female paying the same premium as the guy who procreated 2 kids this year?

Again, if that is the jest of the post, thanks for bringing it up; welcome to aarp.org!

Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Info Seeker

Congressional bill HR 1313---GENETIC TESTING TO GET COST OF MEDICALINSURANCE REDUCED or INCREASED

Message 8 of 8 (300 Views)

The House is trying to pass HR 1313.This bill goes around the genetic testing law that is in effect. This new law would allow companies to reduce medical insurance by 30-50% or increase  medial insurance by 30-50%. We are being told it is voluntary (as of now). The problem is with the high cost of medical very few people would be able not to submit to GENETIC TESTING. An perfect example is if medical insurance cost $18,000 the employer would be able to charge the employee $6-9,000 for medical insurance because he would not submit to genetic testing.. There is a big difference between the insurance being $18,000 or $27,000. With this cost increase it is really not voluntary at all. Why does the EMPLOYER need my genetic material and what will he do with it in the future. Would it be in his best inTerest to fire me because I might have a possible problem with a disease in the future. If I have a genetic marker lets say for cancer would it be held against me or one of my family members. Plus who will store it. Lets be honest our medical records are not really private at all.Every day there are hacks being done. Please stop and think about this and call the elected officials if you feel it is important.