Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Charlie Rose!!!!

Message 1 of 16

I do not know of Charlie Rose beyond what I read from his victims this morning. His PBS show was after my tenure there. And I don't have TV (and haven't for most of my life --even while I was producing it). So I'm not a fan. And I'm not upset about the obvious duplicity, because I never watched him on TV and was not aware of his work before this morning.

That's, I guess, background for what I'm about to say.

I'm happy he was fired from both shows. I presume that means there is compelling evidence. But the most important reason for him to get tossed into the weeds, to me, is his half-baked and self-serving, can-I-please-get-away-with-this apology.

No, no you may not get away with repeatedly trying to force yourself on the young women who worked for you (directly, which made their situation worse). No you are not allowed to pass off repeatedly exposing yourself to subordinates as some sort of mutual thing. No, we do not automatically assume that 20-somethings are looking to bed a man who is 3-5 decades their senior, no matter what Hollywood keeps trying to sell us.

This cannot stop here. We must prosecute this despicable man. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 16

Centristsin2010 wrote:

mimi0000 wrote:

Maybe the Charlie we thought we knew and admired was simply a Phony playing a role of a good man.  Abusers often hide who they are by acting charming, caring and intelligent.  That's why they can get away with their evil behavior for so long.   Their victims are confused and feel helpless because he is publically appealing but behind closed doors they are monsters.   

Good point, Mimi.

(of course it's a good point.....I agree)  <lol>   Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink

And....there is that too.  Good point Mimi.

Message 3 of 16

mimi0000 wrote:

Maybe the Charlie we thought we knew and admired was simply a Phony playing a role of a good man.  Abusers often hide who they are by acting charming, caring and intelligent.  That's why they can get away with their evil behavior for so long.   Their victims are confused and feel helpless because he is publically appealing but behind closed doors they are monsters.   

Good point, Mimi.

(of course it's a good point.....I agree)  <lol>   Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 4 of 16

Epster wrote:

CriticalThinking wrote:

Yes it's good to know he accepted PARTIAL responsibility, but one cannot sugar coat the actions of sexual predators. They are despicable. Can you imagine what it would be like if your daughter or sister went to a job interview at his company and was forced to watch Charlie Rose walk around nude?

@CriticalThinking  I'm dreaming, of course, since I have no children, but any grandchild of mine would have a pocket sized blowgun for just such an occasion.  Smiley Happy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowgun

Thank you for the link and description.  I was dreaming too and it didn't go there!  Thank you, AGAIN!!!

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.

Message 5 of 16

umbarch64 wrote:

I was thinking about this this morning listening to CBS.  I always thought Charlie Rose was smarter and more principled than to get himself into situations like he did.  O'donnell probably said it best when she said this was not the Charlie Rose she knew.  She and Gayle King had direct contact with him every day and, yes, the atmosphere was often flirtatious enough for both my wife and I to wonder aloud if the relationship was 'more than professional'.  

Perhaps this is another reason not to presume too much.   What you see put on public display is not the entire person.  Few are....even the one you tell yourself you are.  

Charlie Rose, though, appears to have been candid about this and accepted responsiblilty.  The Charlie Rose I thought I knew would do that.  

Well, there is THAT!.....

Recognized Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 16

Message 7 of 16

CriticalThinking wrote:

Yes it's good to know he accepted PARTIAL responsibility, but one cannot sugar coat the actions of sexual predators. They are despicable. Can you imagine what it would be like if your daughter or sister went to a job interview at his company and was forced to watch Charlie Rose walk around nude?

then there was the time the old timey HR manager told me one of my employeees unbuttoned her shirt while he went to get something. and wouldnt tell me WHO.

but this is also the guy that siad in a meeting the new crop of supervisors wasnt generating enough harassment complaits to keep him busy.

So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 8 of 16

CriticalThinking wrote:

Absolutely.

Message 9 of 16

CriticalThinking wrote:

@CriticalThinking  I'm dreaming, of course, since I have no children, but any grandchild of mine would have a pocket sized blowgun for just such an occasion.  Smiley Happy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowgun

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Charlie Rose!!!!

Message 10 of 16