Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 29,390
Registered: ‎02-21-2014

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 21 of 126 (212 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

 

Gee, for some reason I don't see, cover or conceal as an example of deface. Surprise, surprise, surprise!  I guess some just want to distort the facts and definition of words to bolster their version of the news.  Looks like righties don't "understand the news".  LOL!!!

 

Gee, would you feel the same about a statue of MLK? Would that be an LOL?


 

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 29,390
Registered: ‎02-21-2014

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 22 of 126 (179 Views)

Olderscout66 wrote:

Richva wrote:

How many times have posters on the right twisted language to misrepresent an event?  Too many. Face it, the right will lie to you in any way they think they can get away with it. It comes from Fox, Breitbart, and Infowars. They read it all the time so they assume it is acceptable. 

 

Lying is not acceptable.  


Unacceptable for decent people, but required and automatic for neoRepublicans.

Seems they think "de-face" means to cover one's visage and protests are only acceptable if the target of the protest is those who exercise their Constitutional rights, but never those who would deny those rights to others.


Think of a statue of MLK and see if that changes your obsession over a word.

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 29,390
Registered: ‎02-21-2014

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 23 of 126 (178 Views)

Richva wrote:

How many times have posters on the right twisted language to misrepresent an event?  Too many. Face it, the right will lie to you in any way they think they can get away with it. It comes from Fox, Breitbart, and Infowars. They read it all the time so they assume it is acceptable. 

 

Lying is not acceptable.  


I don't see how Fox etal got into this - but to clarify, is the issue the definition of the word "disfigure" or the offensive actions? Again, were it a statue of MLK would your point be word definition or racism?

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 29,390
Registered: ‎02-21-2014

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 24 of 126 (162 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:


The KKK defaces the reputation and character of the human race, except for those who protect and defend the KKK, their reputations are already compromised and dirtied.

 

That is an interesting point. Of course they are. But there is a constant stream of posts about those who "protect and defend" and yet, I have not yet seen one on these discussion boards.

 

So, who is it you are criticizing?


 


Whomever the shoe fits.


Sounds like you're waiting for the klatch to tell you which shoe you don't like.

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 29,390
Registered: ‎02-21-2014

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 25 of 126 (148 Views)

Richva wrote:

This thread is very much the way the right has approached the Black Lives Matter movement.  In this case the protesters draped a cloth over the statue. 

 

The right then misinterpreted it for us to be "defacement" just like they misinterpreted BLM to mean that only BLM. 

 

The reality is they simply were trying to stop the number of unarmed blacks who died at the hands of police.  Statistically, the number of unarmed blacks killed by police is way out of proportion to their percentage of the population. So, the only defense the right has is to misinterpret the story.........over and over again. 


There is some truth in that. Conservatives do "drop a cloth" over the race aspect of how we view people. As has been said many times, we see people as people. The left sees black people, female people, tranny people, SA people, "deplorable' people, etc.

 

As to BLM only meaning BLM - if the intent is to be inclusive, why not "All Lives Matter"?

 

Yes, unarmed, innocent deaths are a bad thing. Where was the last riot with Guy Fawkes masks you saw over innocent blacks killed by other blacks?

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 29,390
Registered: ‎02-21-2014

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 26 of 126 (143 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

ChasKy53 wrote:

The definition of 'defacing' does not include placing a cloth or hood over the face and/or head of a statue. Just another disingenuous topic.   

 

                                       Look Over Here !!!!


O.K. and here is a statue of MLK draped in black cloth with insulting signs. Wadda ya think - "racist"?

 

Could be, but most wouldn't insist it was "defacing", the actual subject!!!  Once again, a Conservative distorting the actual topic with another "look over there" response.  SHOCKING!!!  LOL!!!


 


Got it - in the case of Jefferson and MLK "racism" is not a factor - it's all about the definition of words.


Again, you distort the discussion to serve your purposes. It is what it is.....pitiful!


 

Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 20,240
Registered: ‎11-07-2009

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 27 of 126 (163 Views)

KidBoy2 wrote:
Older posted..

By covering the statue they did change the appearance of the statue. No, they did NOT change the appearance of the statue. They changed the appearance of the venue the statue is located in - anyone wishing to see the unchanged statue need only peek under the curtain.

==============================================

That was funny!

Sometimes the truth is funny in comparison to erroneous claims.


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly
Posts: 20,240
Registered: ‎11-07-2009

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

[ Edited ]
Message 28 of 126 (158 Views)

KidBoy2 wrote:

"spoil the surface or appearance of (something)"

==================================
By covering the statue they did change the appearance of the statue.

That is what they did...they also disturbed the peace..and many other things that a good lawyer would be able to charge these hooligans with.

People that try to make excuses for their behavior are condoning their actions...which would include all of the left wing posters on this thread...but for them it SOP.

The more posts from the left I read I am very thankful I am not in that group..a group that is so full of hate they can not accept the facts or truth if it's not to the liking of their closed minds.

Have a great weekend everyone!



RTFLMAO !!!  "Good lawyers" don't  "charge" anyone for anything!  Prosecuting attorneys do KidBoy.  Bwaa haa haa haa haa.

 

Are you now claiming they don't have competent or "good" prosecuting attorneys KidBoy?  No charges were brought because no law was broken.  Just admit it!!

 

Yep, there is someone so full of hate that they erroneously claim that these peaceful protesters broke a law ........... and the fact is that they didn't. A group with poster(s) so full of hate they cannot accept the truth and post topics claiming lies.

 

Have a great weekend everyone !!!


"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Respected Social Butterfly
Posts: 20,473
Registered: ‎06-09-2010

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 29 of 126 (152 Views)

KidBoy2 wrote:

"spoil the surface or appearance of (something)"

==================================
By covering the statue they did change the appearance of the statue.

That is what they did...they also disturbed the peace..and many other things that a good lawyer would be able to charge these hooligans with.

People that try to make excuses for their behavior are condoning their actions...which would include all of the left wing posters on this thread...but for them it SOP.

The more posts from the left I read I am very thankful I am not in that group..a group that is so full of hate they can not accept the facts or truth if it's not to the liking of their closed minds.

Have a great weekend everyone!

I'm always shocked at how some distort the meaning of words to suite their own "needs". 

Defacement is a type of vandalism that involves damaging the appearance or surface of something. The object of damage may be architecture, books, paintings, sculpture or other forms of art.[1]

Examples of defacement include:

  • Marking or removing the part of an object (especially images, be they on the page, in illustrative art or as a sculpture) designed to hold the viewers' attention
  • Scoring a book cover with a blade
  • Splashing paint over a painting in a gallery
  • Smashing the nose of a sculpted bust
  • Altering the content of web sites and publicly editable repositories to include nonsensical or whimsical references.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defacement_(vandalism)

 

Gee, for some reason I don't see, cover or conceal as an example of deface. Surprise, surprise, surprise!  I guess some just want to distort the facts and definition of words to bolster their version of the news.  Looks like righties don't "understand the news".  LOL!!!


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Treasured Social Butterfly
Posts: 12,157
Registered: ‎02-28-2008

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 30 of 126 (145 Views)

KidBoy2 wrote:
==============================================

That was funny!

This whole discussion about whether or not using the word "defaced" is another attempt by conservatives to lie and mislead can be fixed in a minute. Just edit the original post and change it to "draped a cloth over the statue". Oh, not quite the same punch? Sorry