Start Here or Call 844-222-0104 to Urge Your Senator to Say No to the Graham-Cassidy Health Care Bill

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 11 of 126 (275 Views)

ChasKy53 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Gee, for some reason I don't see, cover or conceal as an example of deface. Surprise, surprise, surprise!  I guess some just want to distort the facts and definition of words to bolster their version of the news.  Looks like righties don't "understand the news".  LOL!!!

Gee, would you feel the same about a statue of MLK? Would that be an LOL?

Most are not as foolish as those who think placing a sheet over a statue is "defacing" it.  Feel free to drape a sheet over the MLK statue.  I'd LMAO at the racists who think it would be any different than draping it over Jefferson.

Well, I believe your A is safe. Any rational person would see them as similar - an effort to disparage what the person stood for. In one case a movement for equal justice, in the other the creation of our wonderful nation.

The Alt-Right would say something very similar.

Well, you call me a spokesperson for the alt-right. If they are smart enough to agree with me, I will accept them as spokespersons for my wisdom.

Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

Message 12 of 126 (279 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Gee, for some reason I don't see, cover or conceal as an example of deface. Surprise, surprise, surprise!  I guess some just want to distort the facts and definition of words to bolster their version of the news.  Looks like righties don't "understand the news".  LOL!!!

Most are not as foolish as those who think placing a sheet over a statue is "defacing" it.  Feel free to drape a sheet over the MLK statue.  I'd LMAO at the racists who think it would be any different than draping it over Jefferson.

Well, I believe your A is safe. Any rational person would see them as similar - an effort to disparage what the person stood for. In one case a movement for equal justice, in the other the creation of our wonderful nation.

The Alt-Right would say something very similar.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 13 of 126 (270 Views)

KidBoy2 wrote:
 They are doing their thing...baiting.

The hooligans were also doing this on on private property.

Actually this topic was "baiting", because a disingenuous (lying) word ("defacing") was used in the article, and the article was posted here.

"Hooligans" break laws, none of these protesters did. Using the word "hooligans" is also disingenuous

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 14 of 126 (275 Views)

Centristsin2010 wrote:

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

Valued Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 126 (273 Views)

Well, let's see what all this boils down to.....The title of the post stipulated that Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson's stature at UVa. in Charlottesville.  That is a repeat of the Washington Times Headline for an article appearing in their paper. 

-The written article text says the 'official protest' occurred because demands made by the Black Student Alliance were not met.  The Black Lives Matter phrase shows up only as a slogan on placards or in chants by the protesters.  BLM is not an identifiable defined organization at the site of what actually happened.

The words deface, defaced and defacement occur in the Washington Times headline and in the text of the article following.    

"deface" is defined by Webster's as 1.  to mar the face or appearance of:  disfigure?  to deface a wall by writing on it.  2. to efface, obliterate or injure the surface of, as to make illegible, invalid, etc. :  to deface a bond.  

The headline and the article do not use the word deface or its derivatives correctly.  That misuse is in error and not defensible.  It is just as easy to accurately state what actually happened.  Fact is fact and the words to convey them should be readily available to those who write, edit and print 'the news'.    

So... it seems unlikely to me that mis-use was an honest mistake.  More probably it was a deliberate

distortion intended to create an impression in the mind of the reader.  That would be a lie, by definition.  So now it appears, we know who's who.  Why is something else, yet to be determined.

Stay tuned for further episodes.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 16 of 126 (273 Views)

KidBoy2 wrote:
Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

de·face
dəˈfās/Submit
verb
spoil the surface or appearance of (something), e.g., by drawing or writing on it; mar or disfigure.
"he defaced library books"
synonyms: vandalize, disfigure, mar, spoil, ruin, sully, damage, blight, impair, trash

appearance was changed and not a thousand posts from the left can not change that fact but they keep trying. The left keep digging a hole that they can not get out of. It says a lot about their ability to even want to be objective. They are doing their thing...baiting.

I am so glad you never bait by saying things like >>>They are doing their thing...baiting.

So it begins.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 17 of 126 (263 Views)
Black Lives Matter protesters deface Jefferson’s statue at UVa. in Charlottesville

de·face
dəˈfās/Submit
verb
spoil the surface or appearance of (something), e.g., by drawing or writing on it; mar or disfigure.
"he defaced library books"
synonyms: vandalize, disfigure, mar, spoil, ruin, sully, damage, blight, impair, trash

appearance was changed and not a thousand posts from the left can not change that fact but they keep trying. The left keep digging a hole that they can not get out of. It says a lot about their ability to even want to be objective. They are doing their thing...baiting.

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 126 (265 Views)

Richva wrote:

I just like to point out that the protesters did not "deface" the statue but simply put a tarp over it.    This story is another example of fake news.  Carry on. 

You are in line with other posters who don't distort facts, change meanings of words and prefer real news, not FAKE NEWS.  Surprisingly, that doesn't include any of the Conservatives who've posted to this topic.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 126 (265 Views)

I just like to point out that the protesters did not "deface" the statue but simply put a tarp over it.    This story is another example of fake news.  Carry on. 

Respected Social Butterfly

Message 20 of 126 (263 Views)

rk9152 wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote:

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.